removable accessories

Hello collective wisdom of the message boards:

I am about to begin a campaign through the arctic, and I wanted to give my character mini a warm winter cloak made of Green Stuff. I want to be able to take the cloak off when she's in Diplomat Mode instead of Explorer Mode. I could just make 2 separate minis, but it seemed kind of fun to make a removable accessory, if that's possible. Does anyone have experience here? My first instinct was to cover the mini with seran wrap and sculpt over that, then hope the cloak was bendy enough to snap on and off after curing. This is my first time using Green Stuff, so I thought it best to ask for advice before making a huge mess.

thanks! :-)

- Ovid

Well, seeing as how I was just working on a mini with a cape, I may be able to help you here...

My approach was to splat a thin layer of GS mixed with Apoxie Sculpt onto aluminum foil, and then crinkle it into rough shape over the figure. After it cures, it should be possible to slowly peel away the GS from the foil, leaving you with a thin, flexible sheet you can sculpt additional elements onto, like folds, fur trim, and the like. Splat more GS than you need, that way you can get crisp corners by slicing away the rough edges with a hobby knife.

Water is key to understanding GS. GS will stick to almost anything dry. It will not stick to anything, even itself, wet. The key is getting your tools damp, not wet, so using them doesn't cause GS to ride up with your tools and ruin any sculpting attempt, while not so wet that trying to smooth it out results in a cracked and micro-folded surface.

• Like 4

Well, seeing as how I was just working on a mini with a cape, I may be able to help you here...

My approach was to splat a thin layer of GS mixed with Apoxie Sculpt onto aluminum foil, and then crinkle it into rough shape over the figure. After it cures, it should be possible to slowly peel away the GS from the foil, leaving you with a thin, flexible sheet you can sculpt additional elements onto, like folds, fur trim, and the like. Splat more GS than you need, that way you can get crisp corners by slicing away the rough edges with a hobby knife.

This is a great idea.

Alternatively, you could coat the areas of the mini the greenstuff with settle on with Vaseline. Foreseeable problems would be that, because it won't want to stick to the Vaseline-coated areas, it might be hard to get the greenstuff to sit still long enough to take the shape; and cleaning up Vaseline is no fun. There was one other problem I thought of, but it escaped me before I could start typing.

I like djizomdjinn's idea best.

• Like 1

I think this could be a cool mod project for your character.  I can think of a couple of considerations to help with the discussion.  Do you have a picture of your original mini?  How about your concept for the cape?  As a winter cape, I imagine you want it to wrap around, but the more it "wraps" the more difficult the sculpt and modifications will be.  A sleeveless cape will drape differently than a sleeved coat, but will be more of a removable accessory.  

For your sculpting, consider starting with a thin layer of green stuff and let it harden into a general cloak shape.  You can then cut off pieces until it fits appropriately.  Use this as a form on which you can add details such as folds rather than trying to sculpt it directly onto the mini.    

My experience with modding miniatures has mostly been by magnetizing pieces.  The attached image is my painting and mod of Aviriel. The bow is a removable accessory attached with two magnets.  You could do something similar with the cape if you wanted.  

post-13838-0-42218000-1427206141_thumb.jpg

Re: Arydis

Magnets are a great idea! How do you embed the magnet in the "naked" mini to make it unobtrusive?

I'm starting with the "Hyrekia, Dragonthrall Mage" mini. (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/77193/latest/77193). She has a staff and another accessory (scroll?) on her belt, which are going to be a bit tricky to sculpt around. (The mini hasn't shipped yet so I haven't had a chance to really think about it in 3-D yet). I'm not averse to just cutting off that extra accessory, whatever it is, because it's not important to my conception of the character. 

BTW your Aviriel mini is lovely! I adore the painting on the shield, the color scheme and gradient are both elegant and epic :-)

Looking at Hyrekia, You have a couple of challenges and a few aspects that will simplify your process.  From your link, I'm presuming that actually have the Bones model.  If using Bones, you may be better served ordering a second model to winterize.  In this way, you could have a wardrobe change with different paints, but otherwise keep the skintones the same if desired.  This would allow you to sculpt the cloak on in a more permanent fashion.

Putting that aside, If you want removable accessories.  

Select a size of "rare-earth" magnet.  These are fairly powerful magnets that you can purchase online or at your local games store.  I won't link one here because of Reaper's non-commercial forum rules.  Then make sure to buy a drill bit (for a pin vise or another hand held tool) of the same diameter.  This makes the prep process MUCH easier.  Find an appropriate spot on the mini that would either be fairly well hidden or where you could appropriately attach a different accessory.  I have a small pouch that I put on Aviriel when I am not using the bow as an example.  

My process was to drill the hole to a depth where the magnet would be flush with the skin of the model, but with the precise width of the magnet.  If you drill too deeply, a small bit of greenstuff can be put in before the magnet and squished to fill the gap.  Super glue to hold it in place with a metal model.  I presume superglue holds on bonesium too.  Also, make sure to sculpt your cloak before approaching the magnet question.  Bulk out the underside of the cloak until it sits on her back so you will have a place for the magnets to sit flush together. (and when gluing in place make DOUBLY sure not to reverse your polarities!)

For sculpting your cloak, I anticipate you having to make a decision about it going underneath Hyrekia's hair.  As a removable accessory, you have to keep the shoulder length hair, and tuck the cloak underneath it or have a way for it to sit on top of her hair.  

Thanks for the compliments on Aviriel.  She has been one of my favorites.  I will testify that minis perform better when painted.  The picture itself isn't high quality which is why I haven't posted her into the Show off forum at all.  

• Like 1

I happen to have this mini at hand right now, and the second mini is pretty much the only choice, barring some massive modifications. Much easier to carve off details permanently in order to better sculpt new ones on.

The real problem isn't the spear or the dagger (what you thought was a scroll is the handle), or even the large book strapped over her butt (which can't be seen in the front picture)...

In order to have a removable cloak, you'd need to do something to incorporate the flow of the hair...

Given that A) because of how her hair flows outward as it falls over her shoulders, and B) the back of it falls past her shoulders to about level with the tops of her breasts, she effectively doesn't have a neck and only one real shoulder to sit a cloak on, and C) her raised right hand is very close to the side of her head and directly over her one actual shoulder, it's going to be difficult to make a removable cape.

You could sculpt the cloak so that her hair is on top of it, but considering how much hair she has, it would basically preclude the cloak having a hood or looking all that heavy - or you could cut off most of her hair and make it into a removable piece as well (or just make her entire head removable which would require the second mini anyway).

Making a removable cape without needing to have part of her hair removable would most likely need to involve having a heavy fur cloak with a large hood, thick enough to have enough space on the inside to hide the pre-existing details without looking bulgy or too thick on the outside (meaning it would be incredibly thin in some inconvenient places and greenstuff (or any putty/polymer clay) is fairly fragile to begin with).

And it would need to be done in at least two, if not three pieces - which means that you'd have visible seams somewhere on the cloak no matter how cleverly you sculpt the pieces of it...

Possible idea for two-piece cloak

1. The back of the cloak with the back half of the hood, it would need to extend up to cover the hair on her shoulders and the top of her head, and extend out over right shoulder but not onto the front of it. On the left side it covers the front of her hair, but then follows the curve of her hair back over her shoulder and then down the rear edge of the left arm so that the arm isn't covered.
It would require a magnet in her back to hold it on, and possibly one in the top of her head. Everything from the shoulders up would basically be a very thin shell of greenstuff, which would end up being fairly fragile.

2. The front of the cloak, including the front of her right shoulder, the clasp of the cloak at her neck, the left side of the cloak (following the edge of her hair around to the back of the shoulder and covering the left arm) and the fur trim around the front of her hood... Sculpting the fur trim on the front piece and the rest of the hood on the back allows you to sculpt the fur so that it extends over the seam where the two meet, and if they don't line up perfectly will still look natural. Although the seam on the right side of the cloak will still be plainly visible, the presence of her right arm directly over it will distract from it a bit, while the left side of the seam will be mostly down the back of the figure and thus less noticeable.
This will require a magnet somewhere on her upper chest or throat, and if you want more of a front to the cloak than just what curls over her shoulders (i.e. if the cloak is slit on the sides or has armholes), you'll probably need to add another magnet lower on the front of her as well.

Easiest thing is just to get a second mini, carve off the book, the dagger and all of her hair except for what would be sticking out the front of the hood, maybe even reposition her right arm, and then sculpt the cloak onto her.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1