Sign in to follow this  
ovid

77036: Devona, Female Wizard

Welcome to the hobby, and to the forums!  This is a solid first mini.  Some of the things I found helpful when starting out were watching YouTube videos, some of the articles in "The Craft" section of the Reaper website, and poking around the forums here.  There are lots of other newbies here, and some truly amazing painters, too, and just about everyone likes to help out.

Eyes can be so tricky!  I wouldn't worry about them too much right at the beginning, as you'll need to get used to your paint consistency and your brush control before you'll have the pinpoint accuracy needed to achieve a lot of detail, but if you're interested in reading up on a fairly straightforward, and simple-ish technique, you can check out This Guide.

Keep painting, and keep posting!

• Like 1

I think the most important lesson is to thin your paint. You can start with 1:1 Water to paint. Better put two thin layers than one thick. Thicker paint is good for details like eyes.

Your miniature has nice clean colors and i think you made a really good start.

Re: Sabith: Thanks for the link to the eyes tutorial. That looks quite useful.

Re: Reaper Jack. Thinner paint, good tip. I'm using fairly heavy-bodied artist acrylics (since I felt silly buying little $3 bottles of model acrylics when I already own a couple banker's boxes full of regular acrylics). Multiple coats is a really good idea. I'm used to painting larger stuff (haha, basically everything in the world is larger than these little guys!!)

• Like 1

And about how to get better detail using a phone camera.

upq2Lsv.png

I've posted a lot of phone camera miniatures shots to my painting blog. In general, you probably want to try shooting through a magnifying glass, if you have one handy. Press it right up against the phone lens. That'll allow a closer focus and therefore a larger and more detailed image. It's rough and ready, but it duplicates more expensive pieces of equipment sold for dedicated cameras...

Artists acrylics, yay! But yes, you will want to thin them.

I've been finding Bones need a reasonably full-strength first layer; too thinned down and the paint just beads up. Once the figure has a single layer of base paint, good thin layers work just fine.

I prefer to use artists paints and mix my own colors, but there is some benefit to the little premixed bottles. Reaper puts out some paints called "Liners" which the venerable Buglips the Goblin, forum mascot, discovered stick like magic to Bones plastic. I've been using "Brown Liner" (more of an intense, warm near-black) as a thinned down first layer (unlike most paints this stuff works as a first layer even thinned down), then artists acrylics over that. It saves a few steps, since otherwise it takes me two or three coats of thinned paint to get full basecoat coverage on Bones.

The fashion these days is for a matte finish. I use a bit of matte medium to thin paints sometimes, but since my acrylics are matte already most of the time plain water works fine. And really, there's nothing wrong with gloss except it is a little more difficult to photograph well.

Good luck, and happy painting!

• Like 2

Welcome, good start.

Hope you will show more minis.

Look at the forum topic "painting advice" and browse to WIP to see how others tackle their minis.

Also on youtube, just type in "painting fantasy miniature" and you'll get loads of nice ideas.

• Like 1

Welcome to the hobby!

That is a very nice first mini, you have good brush control, the colors all seem to be were you wanted them.

• Like 1

First mini, and first conversion? Well done. Eyes are difficult for everyone. Look forward to seeing more.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 1

Artists acrylics, yay! But yes, you will want to thin them.

I've been finding Bones need a reasonably full-strength first layer; too thinned down and the paint just beads up. Once the figure has a single layer of base paint, good thin layers work just fine.

I prefer to use artists paints and mix my own colors, but there is some benefit to the little premixed bottles. Reaper puts out some paints called "Liners" which the venerable Buglips the Goblin, forum mascot, discovered stick like magic to Bones plastic. I've been using "Brown Liner" (more of an intense, warm near-black) as a thinned down first layer (unlike most paints this stuff works as a first layer even thinned down), then artists acrylics over that. It saves a few steps, since otherwise it takes me two or three coats of thinned paint to get full basecoat coverage on Bones.

The fashion these days is for a matte finish. I use a bit of matte medium to thin paints sometimes, but since my acrylics are matte already most of the time plain water works fine. And really, there's nothing wrong with gloss except it is a little more difficult to photograph well.

Good luck, and happy painting!

YES, the beading up was my problem. I will definitely check out the "Brown Liner," that sounds ideal. I also saw in other tutorials that using the dark color as a base helps bring out the details so you can actually see what you're trying to paint :-)

I've been varying the finish on different parts of my models. Matte for skin and old cloth; gloss for pretty hair and fancy clothes. I'm a huge sucker for gloss, and I've been doing different shimmer/iridescent/metallic/glitter effects too. Those are super fun looking in person but I can't photograph them for the life of me (although I'm generally too impatient to get good photos of anything I make).

• Like 1

An option I haven't delved into myself because I've got a good selection of Reaper paints, including the liners, but bears mentioning in the context of feeling silly about paying $3 for a tiny bottle of paint.    Folk Art 'Multi Surface' craft paints seem to be good at sticking to bones as well, as described in this thread by GCB.

Great work on a first figure.   

I've still not gotten the hang of eyes.  

• Like 1

These are a couple of Bones figures with thinned-down Brown Liner painted over them:
post-8022-0-70992400-1399249571.jpgpost-8022-0-37859200-1399249578.jpg

I hear you about the shimmer/iridescent/metallic/glitter effects.  I love that stuff, but photographing it is tricky.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Asylum.

Solid start,and glad to see you showing him off.

Ask for advice, and people will give you great info, great insight, and don't be afraid to check out

the information forums.  This place is a gold mine... and a lot of the gold IS the membership.

Share your thoughts and your likes, folks will do the same !

• Like 1