I guess everything goes off eventually, but Milliput will last longer than the miniature. I would suggest using Greenstuff rather than Milliput; Greenstuff is flexible, Milliput is brittle.

To make fur, the only tool you will need is a craft knife; there are various ways you can create fur but basically it's a case of making rows of little V or triangle shapes:

VvVvVvVvVvVv

vVvVvVvVvVvV

VvVvVvVvVvVv

vVvVvVvVvVvV

Tip: use a quarter of the amount of putty you think you will need! What you are attempting to do is create shapes, not just add bulk. Try to create as much shape as you can while adding as little bulk as you can. Less is more.

• Like 1

This doesn't give much info, but it's all I've got on fur:

65363237fd3ce08756f7c7685878ef99_origina

One thing I have found with fur is to always work from the bottom edge up; because your sculpting tool will pull the putty downwards, it just gets all messed up if you start at the top. When I say the bottom edge, I mean the in terms of the direction the fur is flowing in - so in the pics above, the 'bottom edge' is the right hand side, and I worked from right to left across the putty.

I hope that's not too confusing!

• Like 6

The biggest thing is to look at the kind of fur you want to replicate.  Google image search is amazing for this sort of thing.  You'll notice things like how the grain flows around the animal, and how it tufts or doesn't.  My preferred tool is a dental pick, with a sewing needle for the finer bits.  I don't recommend green stuff if you don't work with a vulcanizer - Magic Sculpt, FIMO, and milliput are all easier to work with.

12603929914_5a5647d462_c.jpg

9608040943_b9b47e87c1.jpg16720966391_5b9093ba48.jpg

• Like 1