haldir

Pathfinder: Giantslayer AP

With the pleasantries exchanged & a common goal between the party & the half-orc affirmed the party says goodbye to Brinya. She in wishes the party good luck in their quest.

You make your way up to the Temple of Iomedea called Sanctuary.

As quoted from the Player's Guide for Giantslayer:

"A year after the loss of Trunau’s old church, missionaries from the church of Iomedae arrived and began constructing a new house of worship to honor their goddess and minister to the people of Trunau—this time wisely building it inside the town’s walls. The new sanctuary houses half a dozen clerics and paladins who, in addition to helping with the town’s defense, staff a large prayer hall and a hall of respite where the wounded can be tended after battle. Though some citizen look askance at the Iomedaeans—all of whom still officially claim allegiance to Lastwall, and see their presence here as helping maintaining diplomatic

ties with the outpost until the border can be expanded once more—no one is willing to actually turn away such hard working and valuable residents, especially as they refuse to serve in any governmental capacity.

The current matron of the sanctuary is a young cleric named Tyari Varvatos, the younger sister of the Second Sword Knight of the Sancta Iomedae in Vigil. Speculation abounds as to why she toils here in Trunau instead of alongside her prominent sister, with most presuming she’s out to create her own name rather than live in her sister’s shadow. Her staunchest ally is an errant paladin named Brantos Calderon, formerly stationed at Castle Firrine, who forsook his post to pledge his blade (and, rumormongers claim, his heart) to the resolute young cleric who toils on this harsh frontier.

The sanctuary’s longest-standing resident (and patient) is a gnarled old half-orc named Katrezra. Raised among the Empty Hand tribe, he suffers from a terrible affliction of the lungs and weeping sores on his face and arms, gained when his jealous chieftain sent him to the Brimstone Haruspex to experience painful visions of the future. Fed up with the barbarity of the orcs, he managed to convince Halgra to grant him sanctuary, and has since found rebirth in the light of Iomedae, and proven his loyalty time and again on the town’s walls. He still occasionally has visions, and though many write them off as hallucinations or attention- grabbing, Tyari has begun privately recording them on the chance that they may point toward some important revelation "

The large building sits on the highest level in Trunau. It's painted white walls almost glow in the sunlight. A giant sword with a sun symbol is prominantly displayed above the double doors leading inside

Iomedea's symbol

One of the painted crossed swords is on display behind the church on a giant rock that is incorporated into the outer wall of the city.

You enter the building & right away are greeted by a young cleric, a male human.

"Welcome to Sanctuary. All who uphold the laws of land are welcome within the walls of the Inheritor. What may I do for you?" he says to the party.

Rikki's eyes look around in something like wonder at the Sanctuary. It was not the first human place of worship he had been in since his journey of discovery had began, but it might be the largest yet, and a place he would not mind a chance to look around in.

"Greetings.  I am Thomlin, late of Lastwall, but I am in service to Trunau now.  My companions and I," he pauses as he gestures to the rest of the party, "have been tasked by the mayor to investigate the death of Rodrik Grath.  I would like to pray for Iomedae's guidance and to ask for justice on the part of Rodrik.  We are also given to understand that Rodrik spent quite a bit of time here at Sanctuary.  If so, perhaps some of those in residence can help us to answer questions that we have as to reason for his death."

The young man acknowledges Thomlin & says

"Well you are welcome to seek Her Grace's knowledge. Rodrik, did spend quite a bit of time here but I will have to direct you to my superior, Lady Tyari Varvatos. The Patrol Captain & her were on good terms & she may know more."

The cleric takes you into the temple, the main hall is lined with columns on either side. The color white & cleanliness is everywhere you go. He finally lead you into a chamber (white of course), which features large shelves filled with books along the walls. There is a picture of a female in full plate holding a sword aloft. It's shining (dominates the picture actually). Also on the wall is a longsword with the hilt shaped like Iomedea sword. There are 3 chairs in the room.

The room features a large desk with a plush chair behind it. In the chair is young woman dressed in loose clothes. She is writing something down in a large book.

Tyari Varvatos 

"My Lady, you have visitors. They are here investigating the death of Rodrick Grast." the acyolyte says

"Please come in." she gestures. The cleric makes his exit.

"Afternoon, I am Lady Tyari Varvatos, I am the High Priestess here at Sanctuary. What may I do for you?"

"My Lady," Thomlin bows.  "As said, my compatriots and I have been charged with investigating Rodrick's death.  I believe that as relative new comers to Truneau, it was thought that we would be somewhat impartial.  Our preliminary investigation leads us to believe that rather than committing suicide, he may have been murdered.  In the course of our questioning, we were informed that Roderick had spent a lot of time here at Sanctuary."

Thomlin smiles; "I can see why, it seems a very peaceful place.  We were wondering if Rodrick spent time in any particular place here in the Sanctuary, or talked to anyone in particular?  We are trying to find out if he was afraid of something or someone."

• Like 1

"While Rodrick & I did talk we didn't talk allot but when we did he seemed to be a cheery fellow. He loved his job & his outlook on life reflected that. It is good news to hear that the man didn't take his life.  Sad thou that the man was killed for no reason or at least that reason not revealed yet."

"While his visits were often it wasn't just to talk with me or the clerics here, but with Katrezra. He is a very old half-orc & he is a oracle. He originally came from a tribe of orcs called the Empty Hand, they dwell north of Trunau, but being a half-breed he was constantly treated as a outsider. Unfortunately he suffers from painful afflictions & sores from his time at Brimstone Haruspex. A orc temple in the caldera of a smoking volcano in the Kodar Mountains. According to him the fumes from the volcano grant those that endure the caustic fumes, visions of the future. It was after his time at the temple he left the orcs for more friendly confines of Sanctuary. He did gained some powers of a oracle but now suffers from his time in the volcano."

"While I never sat in with the two I did overhear them talking. The Patrol Captain's visits were more frequent in recent weeks as well. One of their last visits I overheard something about ghosts, half-orcs, hopeknives & white swords. I didn't really take it as important matters as I know the Patrol Captain was a writer & was probably trying to drum up inspiration for his next play. I did intend to ask him what he learned about the white swords as they seem to be something that might be important due to them showing up all over the city in recent weeks. I just never got around to it"

"While I may say Katrezra has the powers of a oracle I can't vouch for authenticity. I feel like they are more like hallucinations then anything prophetic. The old half-orc has been through allot & I'm surprised he still has the strength to carry on."

"Katrezra thou I will firmly say is a true citizen of Trunau. As the old half-orc has shown in desperate times of need he will help defend it from raiding orcs."

"Rikki think Rikki would like to talk to Katreza also. Oracles well respected by Grippli, and Grippli oracles often use mushrooms that give hallucinations to get visions. Orc way sounds more dangerous and hurtful, but results may be the same, but that is Orcs for you, no?"

"Yes, orcs do have ways that might kill them then help them, little one."

"Unfortunately, Katrezra is not here.  He disappeared last night. I doubt it was foul play as his bed was neatly made & his room showed no signs of a struggle. He can't get far as the pain he suffers from causes him much physical distress. I know he wouldn't go back to his tribe or have anything to do with them, he has shrugged off their shackles on him & is a devout follower of the Inheritor."

" I do find it odd that he is missing & I have Rodrick's body here in Sanctuary awaiting it's final journey to Pharasma." (You do notice she doesn't truly acknowledge the Lady of the Grave...)

I find this to be more than coincidence.  Voluntary or not, his disappearance  will probably have something to do with Rodric.  Would it be too much of a problem for us to see his room and other common areas where he might have left writings or indications about where we might find him or what happened?   

And a further question:  Did he record his visions?  a Journal or scroll where he kept what was to be?  that could also help us track him down and if he is in trouble, give him a hand!

<<OOC: Who are the white swords?  was it in the background material and I missed it?>>

"Since we are here, Katrezra's room would be the best place to catch scent of where he has gone."

"If it will help in the investigation, by all means."

She stands up & leads you to the old half-orc's room. Opening the door she gestures you in. Afterwards she says

"Good luck with your investigation. I have other matters that need tending but Iomedae’s light shines on those who seek the truth, however, & you are always welcome at this Sanctuary should you need healing or other assistance from the church.â€

She takes her leave. 

The room is simple, one that a priest of the church would use as a place to retire after his daily work was done. The bed is neatly made & the simple desk is wiped cleaned & free of dust. There is nothing of interest except for some incense candles & a tinderbox on the desk. Inside the desk there is only a holy book to Iomedae.

If the high cleric hadn't told you that the room was occupied you would have thought this was just anther room in the temple.

Detecting magic with a perception of 19+4.  looking over the room for hidden items or something that may have been stuck between the floorboards or the bed and the wall, underneath the desk, in the prayer book and under the chair...

OOC: I have one investigation spell.  It may not be a great spell, but it is mine!

• Like 1