haldir

Pathfinder: Giantslayer AP

The party makes its way over to where the half-orc, Brinya Kelver lives. She lives in a simple boarding house northwest of the Commons. You talk to a person sitting at a desk, a old female human. She points which room she lives. You knock on the door & are greeted by a half-orc? (insert Unit04's character!!)

The half-orc is sitting in a chair, she is wracked with grief & has been crying.

Brinya Kelver

• Like 1

Branwyn hesitates before walking over. She can understand this a bit more and easily "I am sorry Brinya. Your loss must be overwhelming to you."

"My name is Tan," says the half-orc who let you in.  "It is bitter circumstances under which we meet.  I would like to assist you in...your task.  While I may lack in experience, I have faith that Iomedae guided me here to help."

Tan stands before you in armor shiny in a way only a new recruit could get it.  His orc heritage obvious in his leathery skin tone and his piggish nose.   Despite his solemn demeanor, you sense an eagerness to him.   

"Rikki is Rikki Taavi." The Grippli said looking up at the half orc, and seeing his reflection in the armor. "Rikki is happy to meet you, but you speak true. This is sad circumstance to meet." Turning he looked over at the weeping half orc, and though he had not lips to frown with, his eyes seemed to loose their luster with sadness for her.

"It is indeed a sorry time, but it would be very good to have a follower of Iomadae to help straighten this tangled ball of threads.  I am Kirinto, student of the arcane arts."

"Greetings Tan," says Beorht. "Perhaps you can help us find the truth behind this mystery."

"Though I must admit, I am a little confused. Are you connected to Brinya in some way?"

He'll wait for Tan's answer before walking up to Brinya.

"Brinya, we are truly sorry for the loss brought by the night's events. We have been tasked with getting to the bottom of this.

Can you tell us if your fiancé had any enemies, or received any threats? We're there any strange visitors or events in the few days leading up to this?"

OOC if she seems reluctant, we could try Diplomacy to warm her towards us. I'd be out of sorts of a group of armed adventurers barged in to question me

"Brinya is a friend of a friend.  I came to her after travelling from Vigil to seek some guidance about the area, but it appears I will be helping her."

"we all help her. First we help by finding one who is responsible, then we help by seeing that loved ones are cared for, then we seek out reasons and help everyone by making sure it does not happen again." 

Tan, yesterday & earlier this morning:

Tan you arrived yesterday in time for the hopeknife festival for Ruby, you stayed at the festival for a bit but want to find a place to stay you first stopped at Brinya to deliver the news  Brinya was ecstatic over the news (friend was having a baby) & to celebrate she fixed dinner & such (a modest meal with some glasses of a cheap wine) & the two of you talked. She told you that she was getting married soon, to the future captain of the guard, Roderick Grast! He was also a writer, poet & playwright. She did say, his father, Jargrin, the current captain of the guard would never approve the marriage but he said he didn't care, as she was the one that had stolen his heart. As you were about to leave she said she'd have none of that & you could stay at her place. She said with the festival, the rooms were probably full anyways .

In the morning you are getting ready to leave when a young man, probably a guard. arrived to bring grim news to Brinya. You find out the man was Kurst Grath, Roderick's brother. He explained the Kurst committed suicide in the night. As soon as he says she collapses to the ground & both you & Kurst help her to a chair. When she is able to calm down, he asks her if Roderick had said anything to her that may have brought the thought on & she replied no. He had just been trying to complete "His great work", thou she does admit that her & Roderick had been at odds with trying to keep their engagement a secret for his (Kurst's) father. 

Roderick excuses himself as he needs to get back to the scene of the crime, the Ramblehouse. He said Roderick's body was in the process of being moved to Sanctuary (the local temple to Iomedea). You've been comforting Brinya ever since.

Current:

Brinya lifts her head to see the new party in her place. She wipes the tears away on her sleeves.

"I'm sorry I'll help as much as I can. Being a guard I'm sure he had enemies but he also had the guard to back him up. He was well liked, as he was fair & just. I'm sure thou the thought of the future captain of the guard of Trunau marrying a half-orc has caused emotions to rage."

She explains that her & Roderick had been seeing each other but not in the public eye. Only few friends knew of their relationship. If word ever got to Roderick's father Jargrin Kurst that his prized son was seeing a "filthy-orc" (she says Jargrin's own words) & would not have that!

She didn't mind the secrecy thou, at first. She at least got to be with Roderick. He surprised her one night & proposed with his mother's ring. Of course she said yes! & she felt like happier days were ahead for both of them. It didn't go that way as Roderick still wanted to keep their relationship a secret, especially from his father. She loved him enough that she wanted everything to work out but she also felt annoyed that he wouldn't stand up for his own beliefs towards his father! Sadly it was something that put a rift in their relationship as the months went by & he kept feeling afraid.

Recently thou what had been keeping Roderick pre-occupied was some sorta investigation, something he called "his greatest work!" It must have been super important to him, as he wouldn't share anything about what he was doing. It only kept him away from her more then she liked.

With this she breaks down & cries & sobs, she recovers to add

"Eventually Jargrin did find out about our engagement, calling me a "flithy orc" & turned his back on his son for wanting to be with me.....Oh no!!"

She puts her head into her arms & sobs just repeating no, no no the entire time.

"Did anyone see or notice the 'great work' he was working on?  I don't remember any obvious journals or writing tools, but I was looking more for magic than scribes tools"

"it also bears checking, but I feel the father is too imbedded in the law of his people to strike out with murder. Disowning and revulsion, yes, but murder may be beyond him.  Tan might be able to confirm that for us.  Did the family have any enemies? people who might want to ruin the whole family or stand to gain by doing so?"

"I too am curious about this great work.  If it involved something that some didn't want known, then that could be motivation for what happened to him.  Was he working with anyone on it.  If he was investigating, then he must have talked to someone, or done research somewhere."