haldir

Pathfinder: Giantslayer AP

Anyone that mingles you gain this while mingling with the crowd:

“The hopeknife is more than a weapon—it’s a symbol. To Trunauans, earning your hopeknife is a mark of your place in the community. When you earn your hopeknife, it means you are wise enough to make adult decisions, old enough to know what it means to fear, and strong enough to protect your neighbors, even if it costs you your own life.â€

“Even though she’s the Chief Defender’s daughter, Ruby has to pledge to uphold the Standing Vow in order to receive her hopeknife, just like the rest of us. She must agree to hold Trunau against all comers and to never forfeit her homeland willingly. That is the Vow.â€

“Rumor has it that Rodrik Grath is next in line for the position of patrol leader after his old man Jagrin retires. Jagrin’s a good commander, but he’s getting old, and it might be time for some new blood in the militia’s leadership.â€

“Shame about the graffiti all over town. The militia’s got better things to do than clean up youngsters’ messes, but even stranger is how long it lasts. Try as one might, soap and water don’t do a thing to those marks!â€

“Have you read Rodrik Grath’s latest work, ‘The Other Side of Contempt’? He’s our own home-grown writer. It’s a controversial poem, but that’s what makes Rodrik’s writing so strong—he’s not afraid to push limits.â€

Beorht will ask if she is referring to the poem he was writing.  "Some of the locals mentioned Rodrik was a poet, and that he was working on 'The Other Side of Contempt.'  Is this the investigation you speak of?  Do you have any of his notes, or this poem?  If not, can you tell us where to find it?  Perhaps there were clues in the writing that were to expose some dark secret or conspiracy.  Or could this simply an outcry of racial tension and intolerance against orcs and those with orcish blood living in Trunau?"

"Rikki wonders if disgust and contempt is enough for his father to want it to look like a suicide?" The Grippli says quietly, looking up to the ceiling "to cover the family shame of having a beloved son loving and marrying a 'filthy orc' perhaps? Rikki spent much time with gnomes, and gnomes are very emotional people, and sometimes do things that seem strange and hurtful in their passions. Are humans so much different?"

"Do you know how Jargrin found out about the engagement?  If Rodrick was reticent to tell him, who did?" 

"No, no, no...." she stops suddenly & wipes her reddened eyes again.

"I'm sorry, I just realized yesterday we had a argument over my hopeknife. We exchanged our knives to show our love for each other when we got engaged. We had them engraved by Sara Morninghawk with our love notes. We were arguing due to he lost mine in his course of his investigation. I told him I didn't want to see him again till he found that damn knife."

She pauses & her tears of sorrow become more like tears of grief.

"I think I may have sent him to his death...."

Again she pauses before looking at the party, while she answers she you can see that she looks past the party still in her grief over the lost of Roderick

"Jargrin can be a bitter man but he would never stoop to murder. He is just a man set in his old ways. It doesn't help the orc tribes in the area are a constant threat to the safety of the city. Something he takes very seriously. I'm sure he prob spotted the knife or someone who was close to both us & him said something to him."

"The Other Side of Contempt" is what you say it is. It just shows a view of a young child who loses his mother, no matter what species they might be. People that criticize this are just to closed-minded to see that. Especially the old "fuddy-duddies" in Trunau. He wrote this after we met."

"Roderick would not discuss his "greatest work". I couldn't pry anything out of him. It's funny you mention his plays & poems as it was wonderful poems that attracted me to him in the first place (the mention of this perks her up a little). He was always writing something down as he kept a journal which I'm sure he had on him 24/7. You might find something in regards to this work he so coveted in that journal, as I doubt he'd skip even a day without writing something. Hate to say this while he is no longer among us but he would write even when on patrol."

"Was his journal in his room at the Ramblehouse?"

Beorht will answer: "No, Brinya, it was not. We found a compartment in the writing desk where it was likely kept, but that was empty."

"Well I know he spent allot of his free time at Sanctuary. The building was like a "thoughtful muse" to him. It might be there. Where I have no idea."

"It sounds like a place to check. I thank you for the assistance. We should check out Sanctuary. I still cannot help but think there is too much strangeness happening around here."

"Rikki thinks we check the sanctuary, then we see about the hopeknife. Rikki really wants to look at the one he was killed with now."

He does, Kurst only asked you that you return it to him or the priests at Sanctuary before the funeral

Upon seeing the blade, Brinya says

"That is definitely not his or my hopeknife. As I said before we exchanged them when we got engaged which is custom here (locals need only a Local 10 check to know this is true) & when we did we had Sarah Morninghawk, smith extraordinaire, inscribe our love notes on them. So at the time of his death he would have had mine as his is here."

She tugs on a heavy silver chain around her neck & reveals a small hopeknife at the end.

"See it says "For Brinya, my love". Mine says the same but to Roderick."

"I have no idea whose 'knife that is."

"that is what Rikki needed to know. Rikki is not happy, but Rikki is content." Turning to Brinya he tilted his head to the side a bit before speaking. "Rikki does not know what has happened, but Rikki hopes you can take some small comfort and peace in knowing that your Roderick did not take his own life. Rikki believes that in you he had much he would have chosen to live for"

(apologize for the delay)

Brinya thanks the party for the help. She also says Roderick would thank the party if he was here. With that she gives a slight smile.

"Tan, you seem to be someone sympathetic to Brinya's plight, just as we are. Perhaps you would care to join our efforts to get to the bottom of this heinous crime, to bring peace to Trunau and answers to this poor woman?"

Says Beorht.

"I was planning on investigating this matter anyway.  It would be better if we approached it as a team."