Sign in to follow this  
SplotchyInk

Advice for Painting Magic Camoflage

I'm going to attempt painting a bones High Elf Adventurer as one of my D&D.  One of the things he has is kind of cloak of invisibility (it's called something else in the book) and I wanted to make it look like his cloak is phasing out of invisibility kind of similar to this awesome paint job.640555_md-Conversion,%20Custom,%20E-wing

Problem is, a forest/dungeon like scene is a bit more difficult to paint as compared to a space scene like this one.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to pull off a similar effect?

• Like 7

it might be doable if you pick a viewing angle, have some background vegetation or stone walls and paint them on one edge/part of the cloak... er sort of like the bridge of faith scene in indiana jones 3? Is that what you're looking for?  Then you can fade the colors out into the main part of the cloak.

• Like 5

Well, the fact that there are ripples in the cloak, I can probably do something interesting with what Corporea is suggesting.  Where a kind of stone wall scene painted on one side while a cloak color is painted on the other.
Also I can make it a bit meta and have it where I can paint it's own base and the surrounding 'tabletop' on the cloak where it seems to vanish when looking down at it in the usual 'tabletop' perspective.

Ambitious, probably too much so ;p
But hey, paints are easy to remove.

• Like 4

If you want to try something REALLY ambitious, you could try casting part of the mini in clear resin, cutting off that part of the mini, and gluing it back on, and then painting that.

I'm a sucker for overly ambitious projects. But hey, it'd look cool.

• Like 3

I'd tie it to the base, and make the transition point low on the body, maybe at the ankle or knee point.  Then paint the lower part to blend in with the base.

• Like 3

You could try casting the model in clear resin to show it's invisible, and paint in any part not covered by the cloak:

200px-StealthSuit.jpg

Or paint it up to blend with any items he is standing near, similar to this:

Sniper+Drones+4.jpg

Or this showing it transforming to match the surroundings:

219391_mb-stealth%20suit.JPG

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 1

Trickier with an individual mini outside of a diorama.  Consider a base with a clear transition point with the cloak overlapping the transition or some other effect to create the feeling of a transition.  You could then have your magical effect at this point of transition with two different appearances on the cloak.  Like others have said, whatever you decide to do, let us see pictures of it!

Had a thought... cutting off a portion of the mini completely, no clear resin, and just paint the edges and cut side in some magical effect colors. This would then show whatever background because it is completely "invisible".

I'd do it, if the mini wasn't especially expensive, precious, or rare.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all.  I've got a few minis floating around that were painted when my skills were lesser.  Been humoring the idea of touching them up.  My finished minis are sealed with a coat of Krylon Matte spray.  Any tips for touching up minis?  Anything to look out for?
    • By Durham
      So how do I paint something with a marble effect? I have a sepulcher or sarcophagus, primed light grey, and I want to paint it like it was made from marble. Any ideas or tricks? Colors? Anything? Bueller?
      If it helps, its the one from the Horror subset of the Bones 4 Kickstarter.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all.  I recently acquired a few bookshelves which have become the new home for my miniatures and gaming materials. The shelves came with a good out section in the middle and I think it might be the perfect place for a photo set-up.

I currently use a white sheet of cardstock as an infinite backdrop with the two 1520 lumens daylight LEDs that I use for painting and a light source from either side.  It works well enough but it's just inconvenient enough to set up that I'm looking for change.

I figure now is a great time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking I've never really worked with lighting and anything electrical so I think that's mostly where I need guidance. I'm hoping I can fasten some LED strips to the walls and top and then run the wiring out that hole that was conveniently cut out of the back. 

Other than that, I'm thinking I can just tape in a sheet of white poster paper and swap it out if it starts to get too beat up. If I'm really lucky, there will still be room inside to store my camera bag.

I also am wondering if some kind of diffusion will be necessary or if the LED strips will have a general enough soft light on their own. 

I also have to be mindful of wall placement because the arms of the "door" brush against the wall about midway when closed. 

For the curious, the shelf is about 14" deep, 13" high, and 25" across. And the open "door" is about 14"

Thoughts/advice of any kind are welcome!

As a side note, if the LEDs work well here, Iight try swapping out the old lights in the display cabinets up top. They are a gross old orange color. 
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Today I wanted to show off some cheap 54mm Vikings that I painted up as Frost Giants.

I made these guys close to a year ago, and they were among some of the first larger sized minis I had worked on, so they're a little rough, and that's before looking at the quality of model, but if someone else is in need of a lot of giants like I was, then this might be useful to them!

So these guys are from Tehnolog, a Russian miniatures company that I know very little about.  The minis are made out of a soft plastic like novelty toys you can buy with tickets at an arcade.  They also have abysmal detail.

They're meant for 54mm wargaming, and I believe there's an intended game system that accompanies the line, but my goal was to get some cheap giants for D&D.

They fit nicely on a 2in base, and could probably fit in with the smaller Reaper Bones giants, but they're definitely a little undersized.  I remedied this by giving them each a boosted base, with the leader getting two layers.  At a glance, they tower over a standard medium sized mini.

The details were rough and there were some ugly mold lines here and there.  But they're serviceable.  They might work better as a half-giant if you want to use 5e's Huge Frost Giants.

More pictures of each giant below the Spoiler:

Tehnolog also has a few other lines of fantasy-esque minis if you're a fan of cheap minis.  I am still considering getting one of their other lines to convert into cheap-o Fire Giants.

What's your favorite obscure miniature substitute?

• By MoonglowMinis
      Help! I'm hating this paintjob.

I grabbed this demilich thinking it'd be a fun and easy paintjob. But everything I do makes me hate it more.

I was trying to go for a green flame look, so yellow on the inside, and gradually darker green highlights on the outside. These were drybrushed and then cleaned up by hand. I think this is where the problem started because it's not reading as fire. It just looks like a blobby mess?

Should I just scrap it and start over with more of an ethereal glow that's darker in the middle and lighter on the edges?

I also am not happy with the base. I've never painted a 2D base before, I've always added some kind of texturing material. And although I'm reasonably satisfied with how the base looks on the summoning circle behind the demilich, it looks so bad on the demilich base. And I think my green glow isn't helping. 

And finally the Bones. I imagined that if there was a green light behind the Bones then they'd be tinted green and darker on the outside. Again .. this just doesn't look right.

I'm normally fairly confident in my painting abilities, but I think I've landed in unfamiliar territory and I'm just not sure how to salvage or proceed. What can I do?
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)