Sign in to follow this  
SplotchyInk

What Would YOU Have Done Differently?

I was painting a Bones stone golem for a game, and I attempted to give it a kind of tree bark looking texture or some kind of wood texture because... frankly they didn't have the miniature I was looking for in stock.  My first thought was to attempt to make it look like muscle, but painting it in wood colors to make it look organic kind of like Groot.  Though I scrapped that and tried a generic bark texture.  Now it looks more like rust on iron in my opinion, so i finished it for now.

What would you have done to attempt to make this guy look more 'wooden'.

post-13965-0-54233800-1427335727_thumb.jpg

post-13965-0-16620900-1427335735_thumb.jpg

Googled images of tree bark first. Because our conceptions are often over generalized and painting what we think something looks like is often way off.

• Like 2

- Covered him in a thin layer of greenstuff, and then dragged a needle tool through to create the right texture.

- For a carved wood golem, would have drawn thin lines in a light tan to suggest grain.

What DixonGrfx suggests is also good. But, even easier, go outside and go look at a tree. Is the bark really brown? The tree I can see from my window is closer to light gray, with spots of tan and brown. My maple is greenish, with ruddy red-brown splotches on it.

Any single color is almost always too much of an overgeneralization.

• Like 1

I would have tried some super thin lines of woodgrain, and maybe gone so far as to stick some twigs and leave on him in a few places.

Most trees round about me are a greyish color. What I see in your pictures is a very good Clay Golem made of a Brownish clay.

What I would have done differently is select a different model to be a wood golem. To look like wood there needs to be a suggestion of woodgrain. or even more difficult, a suggestion of bark.

• Like 2

I would have made bark over the skin from greenstuff, and made the skirt look like moss.

Personally, more than looking to nature which can be hard for an inexperienced person to translate with greenstuff. I'd have chosen minis that were wood to use as my guide.

I think the textures on this guy would have been relatively easy to duplicate.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wood/sku-down/14622

Also adding some real lichens or Spanish moss would help.

Although I have never tried to recreate bark. I do lots of fur and manes and tails which are similar.

I have a half-giant, that I might try this on.

Edited by rgtriplec
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      I'd never felt I had an artistic bone in my body until I started painting minis. Well, now, I decided I'm going to try my hand at 2D art. 

I am following along Bob Ross videos on YouTube. I will note, and this is probably very important, that I am using acrylic paint and not oils. I did not want to spend oil paint prices since this is a new thing for me.

These are the two I've done:

Day 1: I learned a lot, I needed to do something with my paint to extend the drying time. This would have helped with the blending. Overall, happy with it excepting the house.

2: I used some slow dry medium mixed into the paint today. Not sure if it was not mixed well enough or I didn't use enough but it only gave me like 5 minutes or less of extra working time. If anyone has any suggestions for how to use slow dry medium, please, let me know. I'm using heavy bodied acrylic tube paints.

I followed along until the end and I decided to add some darker blue and green. I think that helped a lot.

Another note, need to find sturdier paper. While this is holding up it likes to curl slightly while drying. The second one is taped to the desk on the back to try to minimize that problem. I am currently using a mixed media paper.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi gang.

I always have trouble with finishing minis if they take too long.  Groups of minis are a frequent struggle for me.  What kind of advice do you have to avoid burnout?

I try to mix things up to stave off the exhaustion and tedium.  I typically switch off between working on groups of minis, to just doing one at a time.  Small minis to big minis.  Detailed minis to simple minis.  I'll even avoid things that are the same color back-to-back.  Anything to help avoid getting sick of painting.

But I have a harder time just getting through a group of minis.  I'll try breaking them into sub groups, or just focusing on painting everything of the same color like all of the wood, or all the leather.

Maybe I'm just tired in general, but I'm definitely feeling worn down on my current set, which is a shame because I am excited to see them finished.

What advice do you have?

How do you avoid burnout?

How do you get yourself to just keep painting?
    • By Thrym
      Here's the sixth member of my Marvel Stone Golems Team Up:

Thanos!

You can find more about the Work In Progress on all of the Marvel Team and please give him a thumbs up in the Inspiration Gallery.

There's a nice bonus graphic for the Golems back in the WIP.
    • By Durham
      So how do I paint something with a marble effect? I have a sepulcher or sarcophagus, primed light grey, and I want to paint it like it was made from marble. Any ideas or tricks? Colors? Anything? Bueller?
      If it helps, its the one from the Horror subset of the Bones 4 Kickstarter.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Looking for some advice on using inks in painting.

So I've seen people using inks and spouting praise about their uses with mini painting.  Especially for glazing purposes.  I got a set of cheaper inks last christmas, but they really didn't play nice.  They were constantly rehydrating.  Even with a protective layer of spray varnish.  As soon as I painted over top of it, the color would bleed back up.

Anyone know what I was doing wrong?  Or if I was using a kind of ink that wasn't compatible?  I bought a set of 10 colors from amazon - ZZKOKO caligraphy pen ink.

I got an airbrush recently and have heard that white ink results in smoother zenithal than traditional white paint.  Any words of warning?
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 2 Anonymous, 58 Guests (See full list)