Sign in to follow this  
Gabbi

Bones, stone and water :)

Great job!!

What about the oxidized effect aren't you happy with?

Thanks!

I don't know... it doesn't seem right. I can't really tell why. Just a guess: maybe it's not so much blue while making the metal dull?

Other works I've seen seemed more convincingly (your neighbour grass is always greener ;-)).

Anyway, I'm not disappointed, really. Just not 100% happy, but I think its ok.

Edited by Gabbi

For a verdigris effect, I usually use about a 50/50 mix of turquoise and seafoam green, thinned down to a wash.

Also, pics should be posted in the Show-Off forum, even if they're Bones. Mods will probably move this thread.

• Like 1

The thing that strikes me about the verdigris effect is that it seems like there's either too much or not enough.

Meaning, a little verdigris seems like it would be okay, like a fountain that just doesn't see regular use.  Or, a lot (pretty much completely covering the metal) indicating the fountain has been abandoned.  But the piece looks like it's somewhere in the middle, with highlighted metal indicating recent use, but also a lot of oxidation. 

Does that make sense?

• Like 2

The thing that strikes me about the verdigris effect is that it seems like there's either too much or not enough.

Meaning, a little verdigris seems like it would be okay, like a fountain that just doesn't see regular use.  Or, a lot (pretty much completely covering the metal) indicating the fountain has been abandoned.  But the piece looks like it's somewhere in the middle, with highlighted metal indicating recent use, but also a lot of oxidation. 

Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me. When I add verdigris I do it in stages, with washes of blue/green as I work up adding white and thickening the paint as I go.

Verdigris, rust, oil, dirt and the like are best when applied in stages, overlapping and crossing each other, with an accent of the "worst" of the effect concentrated somewhere where it makes sense, like where the most exposure to elements would lie. This is why I typically don't use those sorts of effects from GW and the like. They are usually (not always) one-stage, and so, even if pretty, are not terribly realistic. As presented here, the verdigris looks more like turquoise inlays, I think because the effect is concentrated in such small places, is fairly regular, and does not show up well on the risen, brassy areas. Probably because the GW stuff tends to pool when applied.

That said, I love these pieces. Very nice.

• Like 1

Love your water weird, subtle but really makes him pop. And the well of chaos looks fantastic. I recognized it right away for rusted copper (and then we had to look up what that was called again, zoroaster above me has got it). Sharp work on everything.

Thanks everyone for comments and criticism. Will try to improve the oxidized effect following the suggestions, thank you.

Much like any other effect - non-metallic metals, rust, dirt, etc - it takes a lot of time staring at resource images (and a lot of practice painting) to start to get a decent feel for what things should look like when you're trying to make it look a certain way...

• Like 2