Sign in to follow this  

Hello everybody. I was wondering if anyone might happen to have any pictures of the new hill giants side by side with any of the frost or fire giants? I was kind of hopping that they'd all be pretty much the same size. Then I could paint them up to be different classes of the same giant race (i.e. fire giants = fighter, frost giants = rangers, hill giants = barbarians). I've heard however that the hill giants are noticeably larger in scale? :/

Edited by Arikiel

Hill Giants are bulkier and bigger then the Storm Giant and the Cloud and Fire Giants.

Wow! Even bigger then the Storm Giants?! That's crazy. Guess I'm going to have to rethink my plan. It would still be helpful to see them next to the other giants if anybody happen to know where to find a picture. Thanks.

They don't look out of scale with the others.

They are a bit bigger that the frost and fire giants. They are bulkier if not taller than ther storm giant.

• Like 1

They don't look out of scale with the others.

Agreed. Scale and size are two different things.

In terms of fantasy tropes, that pic compares favorably to a pretty typical party of humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes and half-orcs. Would they pass as the same race? Probably not. But they are not out of scale, in fantasy terms.

Also: "than," guys. This is bigger "than" that.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 3

Oh, yea, if I were fielding the giants, I enjoy that they are different and unique that you can claim they are from different regions. Can you imagine your party of adventurers being a delegate to a meeting with giants? :D

• Like 3

Awesome. Thank you for the picture Slashhamster! The reason I want to know is because in my setting Giants are all one race. Any differences between them are just ethnic or cultural (same for elves, dwarves, orcs/hobgoblins, etc.). I suppose it can still work though. Within humans we can see a fair degree of size variation in different ethnic groups.

Edited by Arikiel
  • Like 3

Just think of the cloud giants and storm giants as the nobility, and the hill giants as the labourers /peasants.

Due to hard work they've developed a more muscular form.

Yephima = Beyonce

Vanja = Oprah

Not meant as any way degrading, just to show people are built differently.

And so they should.

For Giants the same thing can apply.

Just think of the cloud giants and storm giants as the nobility, and the hill giants as the labourers /peasants.

Aren't different giants actually different subspecies in D&D/Pathfinder/etc., though?  If that's the case, I don't think a "social class" explanation is necessary.

Though if I recall correctly, hill giants were supposed to be on the smaller end of the scale, and sizes went up for the more powerful giant types.  I assumed it was a "titan ancestor/racial purity" kind of thing, if anything.  That said, I'm not sure what all has changed from AD&D 2nd ed., and having larger, more brutish hill giants seems reasonable to me (think "cave man" vs. "modern man").

• Like 2

In Pathfinder, giants are the humanoid type with the giant subtype. Unlike most humanoids, they don't get their base Hit Dice from class levels, but instead have racial Hit Dice. (They can also take classes on top of that, of course.)

You could say that in a way, being the same subtype is like being subspecies of one-another. For instance, goblinoids seem to be related to each other in the fluff. On the other hand, that is not always the case. For instance, demon, devil, evil, etc., are also subtypes, and there would not necessarily be anything like a genetic connection between two devils or two demons.

As to giants, it would be a matter of interpretation. But it's merely a fluff question, since being the same subtype means they are all susceptible to the same applicable game rules, even if they are not related species.

Hill Giants were traditionally the smallest and weakest of the true giants. Then (IIRC) Stone, Fire, Frost, Cloud, and Storm.

And they were indeed different species, but I don't play 3.x and up anymore.

• Like 3

Hello everybody. I was wondering if anyone might happen to have any pictures of the new hill giants side by side with any of the frost or fire giants? I was kind of hopping that they'd all be pretty much the same size. Then I could paint them up to be different classes of the same giant race (i.e. fire giants = fighter, frost giants = rangers, hill giants = barbarians). I've heard however that the hill giants are noticeably larger in scale? :/

The hill giant with the mutant-ly oversized arms does look off scale since it's arms are a whole size class bigger than the rest of it.

That said, I'm not sure what all has changed from AD&D 2nd ed., and having larger, more brutish hill giants seems reasonable to me (think "cave man" vs. "modern man").

After 2E, 3E shrunk giants in hight back to their 1E heights as part of the "Back to the Dungeon" philosophy. This meant fire and giants and lesser were Large size class, cloud and storm were huge. In 4E All giants were regulated to Large Size class, while each type had a Huge version with more elemental powers called Titans. in 5E Giants have returned to their 2E sizes so all are Huge.

In Pathfinder, giants are the humanoid type with the giant subtype. Unlike most humanoids, they don't get their base Hit Dice from class levels, but instead have racial Hit Dice. (They can also take classes on top of that, of course.)

That gave giants a significant weakness as that put them in range of "_____ Person" type spells, furthering the Caster Dominance of that version of the game.

Hill Giants were traditionally the smallest and weakest of the true giants. Then (IIRC) Stone, Fire, Frost, Cloud, and Storm.

And they were indeed different species, but I don't play 3.x and up anymore.

Hill < stone < frost < fire < cloud < Storm

Related thread...

forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58619-giant-sizes-how-have-they-changed/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58619-giant-sizes-how-have-they-changed/

Edited by scorpio616