So, this is an anthropomorphic fox, and therefore, a kitsune.  It will rather nicely work as a mini for one of my daughter's Pathfinder characters.

I tried to get a bit of a steampunk feel, so she has the requisite corset as well as a skirt with Victorian-style ruffling at the bottom (which wasn't highlighted quite as well as I'd have liked with my usage of a wash as I'm still developing my technique at that).  She's also armed with a chakram that is shaped as a gear.

Hope you enjoyed the update. Comments, compliments, and suggestions always welcome  :=)

post-13795-0-34205600-1436374598_thumb.png

post-13795-0-98926100-1436374610_thumb.png

post-13795-0-03205900-1436374622_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Due to the inspiration of the great work by Michael and his encouragement as well as others on this forum (especially Cosmic_mastermind) and friends and family, I've finally finished my first batch of

So, I've been working on the anthro minis, but I've also been dabbling in terrain pieces.  Last night, I did a bit on my anthro figures, made a few more armatures, and then figured since I was going t

My minis keep looking better and better...until I take pictures and then recognize flaws I still have to fix.  Ah well. This update is kind of fun.  The first 4 characters you'll see are simply more

Posted Images

Heeding the advice I've received from many kind mentors (looking at you specifically, Cosmic and Lovejoy), I've been focusing on improving putty control, smoothing, taking my time, and making heads and hands specifically.  Here are three of the heads.  I tried to take pictures of hands as well, but the camera on my phone really didn't want to focus on the hands and was focusing on the background instead.  Go figure.

Anyway, the first two shots are in-progress shots of what ends up being the one with the beard.  Then, you get the shaggy-haired head followed by the bald guy with a beard.  Finally, we have the genderless head that could be a female warrior with a short pony tail or perhaps a male samurai or some such.

As always, feedback is welcome.  Enjoy!

post-13795-0-44744200-1437171182_thumb.png

post-13795-0-61257300-1437171189_thumb.png

post-13795-0-28168100-1437171202_thumb.png

post-13795-0-41600200-1437171216_thumb.png

post-13795-0-00082600-1437171278_thumb.png

• Like 2

Why thankyou Pippin. :lol:

You need to bring the faces in tighter, which is hard to explain so I shall direct you to someone who really knows what he is talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUm2COVkoVs

And in a larger scale, a tutorial by Greg Sarabia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVa_8PDOLLc

You're doing great and progressing nicely, you've got the basics sorted so if you like you can start challenging yourself with higher levels of detail and accuracy. Don't get too angry with yourself if you have trouble when you start working in finer scales (32mm or 28mm), it IS hard.. really hard. :down: 

They definitely look better! 

I'm guessing from the top pic that you are sculpting a basic head shape, and letting it cure before adding eyes and hair etc. Is that right? If so, I'd suggest trying to complete the head in one go instead; obviously you have to be more gentle with the putty, but it lets you change more as you go. 

Other than that, it really is just a case of more practice! Your hands and brain get used to the way the putty responds to the tool, and you get better.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  I truly value the encouragement, oh great one!

Yes, it has been a sculpt, cure, repeat process.  Glob on a wire.  Cure.  Basic shape with a mouth, holes for eyes, and nose.  Cure.  Add eyes.  Cure.  Flesh out brow and cheeks if needed and add ears.  Cure.  Then details.

Taking it all in one go.  I will try it.  I'm definitely aware of the chance to ruin it with a slightly-too-assertive movement of the shaper, but what the hey.  It's part of the learning process.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm not sure about doing it all in one go, I guess it's doable with polymer clay but that would be tricky with epoxy putty (greenstuff). This is how a professional does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUm2COVkoVs

He's mostly using polymer clay, there are some different tricks and techniques with greenstuff, but the basics are the same.

Glob on a wire.  Cure. 

Keep this part. This part is vital, or the rest of it just smooshes about everywhere!

I'm not sure about doing it all in one go, I guess it's doable with polymer clay but that would be tricky with epoxy putty (greenstuff). 

It's actually easier once you get used to it - it means you aren't tied to the already-established masses of the cured putty, and can alter and adapt as you go. It's how I do it all the time with GS. When I first started I went with the stage-by-stage curing method, but it limits your creativity - especially with facial expressions.

The exception to this is hair and beards - I add those after the head has cured, and the rest of the figure is sculpted. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So, I've been spending lots of time working on specifics and close up and detail.  Not really as many finished pieces to show, but getting a stronger idea of how to flesh out the individual aspects.  Here are some shots of female bodies I've done recently.  There's a third one crouching and using a bow, but that doesn't seem to be showing up for some reason.  I'll trouble shoot that later.  Comments and questions are always welcome.

post-13795-0-97764700-1441487700.jpg

post-13795-0-75485300-1441487719.jpg

post-13795-0-20623600-1441487733.gif

Hello

How are you hope your doing fine.

If i could make a suggestion and it is a big one everyone hates. Start at the nude aka the start.

You seem to have a sloght problem with perportion in some areas, a book i would pick up if you plan on sculpting is drawing with christopher hart figure it out human proportions. Small difference cam REALLY throw off a whole sculpt. Like for a face the head is five eyes wide, with spaces two and four being the eyes themselves, the corners of the moth tend to lye where the pupils of the eyes are straight down. These are all slightly altered by person of course but it is a good guide rather then guessing.

From your first til your final the same things seem to occour your focus is on the wrong things.

Try from the start the nude sculpt, this doesn't mean naked btw lol. But from the basic form so a man or woman does not need gens or nips just the form. Repeat making them in different poses til you get say five that you like. Then you try to add clothesand work on things like hands feet andso on. Start with the core chest stomach legs arms these are theeasiest shapes and a good start.

I would also recomend picking up some polymer clay since you can destroy and rebuild many times. Try a larger piece first sine anatomy errors show up alot better the bigger it is. Also remember things are built in stages not in one poece.

Say you want a scottsman with a cross ariund his neck. First is the body then the joints then the fine detail. If need be you can build say the cross off sculpt make a quick mold one aided since one side is against the model and popf three copies for you to place.

P.s. I know i said start with the chest ect. But that is once you know your head size. Everything is decided by your head. A person is usually seven to seven and a half heads tall the chest is usually two heads wide ect.

Again sorry if this is unwanted just thought i give some advice.

Edited by Ogrechubbs

Cosmic--I'm not sure why they came out a different size.  I did it the same way I had for every other post.  I'll have to fiddle with technology and see if I can figure it out.

Ogrechubbs-I always input.  Thanks for chiming in.  I'm a bit unclear on what specifically you mean is out of proportion.  I have been using anatomy images and lining my sculpts up to get comparative sizes with professionally done minis I've purchased, so in my mind, they're fine.  Therefore, I'm deducing that I'm too close to the project to see what your fresh perspective is finding.  Thanks again for your thoughts.

• 2 months later...

I've been absent but lurking of late.  I've gotten some things done including some sculpting and painting.  We have a nifty digital camera, but I still need to have my tech-savvy wife teach me how to actually get it to focus on minis. 

Pieces you'll be seeing in the near future include the paint jobs on some Burrows and Badgers figures (from Oathsworn Minis) as well as a sculpted and painted rabbit I did to join my warband, some Mage Knight conversions, and some adventures I've sculpted and painted (including a cartomancer).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I've been busy and haven't had a lot of time to post, but wanted to get this lovely gal shown off.  She's a figure I made for my cartomancer character who is going to become a harrower.  Of course, in a basic town setting, she's just a fortune teller.

She's 28mm.

I've also been working at my painting and I think this may be one of my best paint jobs thus far.  I even did rosy cheeks and a touch of eye shadow.  I still need to ad the detail to the cards, but otherwise, she's finished.

Questions and comments always welcome  :=)

post-13795-0-88387100-1449542337_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-54017700-1449542353_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-17677200-1449542719_thumb.jpg

• Like 3