• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a TC910 compressor and going back and forth between a Badger Renegade Krome and an Iwata Revolution HP CR. I'm... not really happy with the Krome because it clogs often, but that might be because I'm not doing a good enough job cleaning it. I also would have gone iwth a cheaper compressor rather than the one I got (Master sells basically the same compressor for half the cost without the outer shell that the TC910 has, but I ended up taking that off anyway.. oh well.) 

I got some airbrush specific paints (minitaire line) they're okay... but I end up thinning them down anyway. I use liquitex airbrush medium to thin down anything that I airbrush. 

All told I've probably spent $3-400 on the whole set up but that was over the course of several months. The iwata is actually my sister's airbrush she used for makeup and I borrowed it long before I bought any airbrush stuff so I could just get a feel for it. I heard good things about the renegade Krome but I'm just not having any luck with it at all. 

• Like 2

I heard good things about the renegade Krome but I'm just not having any luck with it at all.

Thin your paints more on the renegade , I had a lot of troubles with it as well. After changing brands of paints and my mixing ratio, got a lot better.

Loth

• Like 1

I'm still trying to get the right ratio with the renegade. I often end up thinning them too much and the paint is too runny when it leaves the brush. There's a few spots on Nethy that I had to fix because of that very problem. 

The other thing I've noticed with the krome is that paint seems to get backed up in the lip inside the resevoir. That seems to be the worst culprit when it comes to clogging up the nozzle. No matter how thoroughly I clean it I still miss some paint there and it just stops up the whole thing :/ 

for runny paint try backing the gun off a few inches when spraying,  this will give the paint a bit more time to dry befor contacting the mini.  If you are too close it will appear to be runny when you spray.

Another suggestion I have seen for cleaning is to run some cleaner through the gun when switching paints or putting it away for abit.  Just spray the cleaner against a paper towel until no color can be seen on the towel and that should leave the needle nice and clean as well as the pot.

:devil:

• Like 1

post-13660-0-42384800-1427649461_thumb.jpg

post-13660-0-76337700-1427649462_thumb.jpg

Some more progress. Figured I'd try out the Reaper MSP HD Gilded yellow for the base of the bones and horns and stuff. It's.. alright. I thinned it down so it's not covering as cleanly, but I'll clean it up as I go. I'm kinda bouncing around on what I'm working on. I still have some innards to clean up. Also I think for the parts on the wings I'll just have bones showing through instead of guts. 

I'm not sure yet what I want to do with the scales and wings so I'm leaving that alone for now. 

• Like 8

I hate painting yellow so much...

post-13660-0-66809600-1427739517_thumb.jpg

post-13660-0-07172300-1427739519_thumb.jpg

post-13660-0-78158000-1427739519_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to get his bones and horns and what not completely done to a level I'm happy with before finishing the innards (since there's some places especially on the tail and wings where its hard to tell what is supposed to be bone and what's supposed to be guts. Friggen undead dragons man..) 

I'm probably going to give all the yellow parts another wash with purple. and I still have a ways to go in building highlights. 

• Like 7