Hello everyone , I am new to the boards and just started out painting Reaper miniatures. I'm not new to painting though as I have dabbled in painting several Games Workshop lines before, but I am coming back after a long 10 year break to painting. So it very much feels like I have some relearning to do.

anyways Monday I had started out on my first Reaper Mini project from the Bones line : the Young Fire Dragon. Taking my time with the project so far I have only accomplished the basecoat of Army Painter Dragon Red. On the white miniature it is turning out very bright red and in some lighting almost pink. I am hoping that when I ink it , it should take some of the brightness away and tone it down a bit.

feel free to comment and let me know what you guys think so far :)

post-14002-0-48530200-1427552460_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

You are off to a nice start.  Just remember not to water down the first coat on bones and you won't need a primer.  After the first coat you can thin with water without any issues and the paint will not rub off easily like it does on metal.

Welcome to the forum.   The members are friendly and open with adivice if you want it.  Just ask and they will reply with hekpful suggestions and occasional challenges to keep you trying new things.

• Like 1

It is a great model , excellent detail , and I have always wanted to paint up a dragon :). I agree it is a real fun experience so far.

It's funny about the red though in some light it shows up really really red and in others it shows up almost pink. It's just odd or my eyesight is going lol. But I will try more coats as well , see if it shows up differently after that :)

Took this outside today to show color in better light. I know I didn't get much more done today but I think I'm getting hung up on the color, and its causing some frustration.

Feel free to leave a comment on here or even a suggestion on if I'm going about this right way, it very much appreciated!

post-14002-0-06903800-1427934920_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think alot of us are perfectionist with our mini's on the forum.  I tend to have to use the mantra 'good enough, now move on' alot.  Personally, I make my own with mixture of RMS brush-on sealer : water : paint color (2:2:1[approximately]).  Some day I'll invest in some inks and washes, but this has served me well on the cheap.

Edited by Silvervane
  • Like 1

I find that when i paint red, the under coat really sets the stage. If i want a really "fire engine red", i paint a base coat of a pumpkin orange color. Red pigments tend to be translucent. So an undercoat can help even the application of red.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the tips ! Next project that i do use red i will give the basecoat a try. Im so used to working with black primer before im applying my paints that things come out darker. Working with white things tend to be more vibrant (which can be a good thing)and I'm not used to working that bright lol.

Silverane - I think I will have to try that mantra . I'll also have to try not getting hung up on little stuff .

Again thank you all

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.