Do you keep a painting journal?

DixonGrfx

I have started a journal a couple of times, but i can't seem to keep it going or going back for reference it is disorganized and hard to find what I am looking for. At one point I had started keeping notes for figs with index cards. Not bad, but that doesn't really keep paint experiments very well.

Do you journal? How do you organize it? Is it worth the effort?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a journal using a Moleskine notebook with thick pages that take paint well. I record what colors that I used for which part along with a paint swatch.

I find the journal to be very helpful when trying to reproduce a color scheme for an army or when I particularly like an effect.

Ron

• Like 4

I already have a pic from last year I can share. I absolutely keep a journal, sometimes it's a bit sloppy or I forget to write a few things, but I get most of the important paint combos down on paper, and I do refer to it now and again even though I generally keep trying new combinations more often than not.

paintnotes.jpg

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 1

• Artists

I use unlined index cards. I track the basecoat, shade, highlight, and glaze colours I use on various parts of the fig. If I do any custom colour mixes, I also paint swatches on the back so I can test against them if I need to mix the colour again. If i want to test blend mixes or do colour sketches, I use a separate card. I store them in a recipe card type case. I've also jotted down freehand ideas and the occasional diorama idea sketch.

When I started I kept a notebook, but it was partly a paint experience diary and I never refer back to that stuff. If I were to start over again, I'd keep the index cards for the colour stuff, and maybe a small notebook/electronic notebook just for notes on experiences with techniques and tools that would be easier to refer back to. Notes on paints in and of themselves rather than tied to figures might be a way to go, too. Like if you find something is difficult to blend, or pairs well with a certain other colour, or takes 7 coats so isn't good for a main army colour, that kind of thing.

• Like 4

I think my record is going on almost 9 years.  I started painting it in the hospital the night before my daughter was born to help settle my nerves.  Never finished it, but I have the notes with the color mixes and swatches, so I can dig it out and finish it if I want to.

• Like 3

I keep meaning to...

I'm blessed/cursed with a mostly good visual memory, so I can generally recall almost all of my paint choices and mixes just by looking at the mini in question. Except for major projects, I rarely work out my entire color scheme beforehand, so I usually don't take the time to write things down. I do have a stack of notes from individual projects, though (the ones where I have taken the time to work out the colors ahead of time)... When I actually do write up a project, in addition to just writing down what colors/ratios I used I actually write out the equation in colored dots... gr gr gr + yw yw + wh =... 

Also, I tend to do my mixing tests in leftover plastic blisters (usually with the code written on the rim), so I do have a lot of those sitting around...

• Like 1

I use unlined index cards. I track the basecoat, shade, highlight, and glaze colours I use on various parts of the fig. If I do any custom colour mixes, I also paint swatches on the back so I can test against them if I need to mix the colour again. If i want to test blend mixes or do colour sketches, I use a separate card. I store them in a recipe card type case. I've also jotted down freehand ideas and the occasional diorama idea sketch.

When I started I kept a notebook, but it was partly a paint experience diary

If you can, ask if you can take a look at Derek Schubert's journal some time. It's a thing of beauty as much as a way for him to test and track ideas.

I want copies of all of these things :)
  • Like 3

• Artists

I think there's far less painting wisdom of the universe in there than you might imagine. ;-> I can barely stand to read the notebook, so that's not getting out in the world for sure! I could probably take some sample pics of the index cards some time.

• Like 4