There be dragons here.

OK, so do dragons have defining features that designates them as a certain type(color) of dragon? Because if they do i'm not seeing it.

It's been brought to my attention that Blightfang is a green dragon because of his leaf shaped scales. Fair enough. I already irreversibly started painting him blue. But I'm fine with that.

The silver dragon is obviously a silver dragon, though I painted him white. He actually looks like one variation of a white dragon I've seen before. (Pathfinder art work) Just google pathfinder white dragon under imagines.

I'm assuming Cinder is red just because of his name, and nothing else.

Verocithrax... ummm. Looks Japanese-ish? Gold? I'm going to make him green i think.

Nathavarr- Red? He was painted red for the website, but was that just the artist's choice or is he really supposed to be red for reasons i dont know?

Narthrax. No idea.

So, anyone have any insight for me?

Final thought-- Reaper should make a Tiamat model.

• Like 3
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cinder, Stormwing, Ebonwrath, Deathsleet and Blightfang are all very similar to the D&D 3rd edition dragons: red, blue, black, white and green, respectively (stormwing is not available in bones). The rest of the Reaper dragons are either unspecified, or noted as part of their name.

That said, they're dragons. I'm painting Narthrax as a white, but we've already seen her on these forums as a red, blue and yellow-brown. I painted Verocithrax in shades of brown, but I've seen him in purple, green and red. I've seen Cinder in red, but also in blue and black, and I think he'd be a nice silver.

They're dragons. Print out an 18-inch diameter color wheel and throw a dart at it: I guarantee you'll hit a viable color for whatever dragon is on your table.

• Like 13

It's a fictional animal. If someone nitpicks your excellent work over a stupid detail like that just ignore them.

I did a highly weathered Valkyrie vehicle for 40k that looked pretty great. I took it to my LHS to show it off and some guy got all up in arms because "the type of metal they use doesn't rust." I literally laughed in his face. Couldn't help it. Ridiculous nitpicking is not something to worry about.

• Like 5

Thanks. I wasn't really implying anyone was nitpicking me. Just a few people saying that they like to see a dragon painted the "wrong" color, and had me wondering if I was missing something about dragons and what type they are supposed to be. I think Sanael cleared it up. Monster Manual 3rd edition.

@ CreganTur I hate when people nitpick like that. I've notice that since Bones II arrived a lot of the nay sayers and nitpickers resurfaced after they vanished a few months after Bones I Kickstarter released. Not so much on here, but on Facebook. They'll disappear again once they realize no one likes them still.

The silver dragon is obviously a silver dragon, though I painted him white. He actually looks like one variation of a white dragon I've seen before. (Pathfinder art work) Just google pathfinder white dragon under imagines.

Heraldically speaking, white and silver are the same color anyway.

• Like 4

Heraldically speaking, white and silver are the same color anyway.

I'd still rather meet a silver than a white dragon.

• Like 7

It's a fictional animal. If someone nitpicks your excellent work over a stupid detail like that just ignore them.

I did a highly weathered Valkyrie vehicle for 40k that looked pretty great. I took it to my LHS to show it off and some guy got all up in arms because "the type of metal they use doesn't rust." I literally laughed in his face. Couldn't help it. Ridiculous nitpicking is not something to worry about.

I have seen plenty of Valkyries painted with plenty of rust, laughter was a good recourse.

• Like 2

Shouldn't this thread be merged with this one on Dragon Sizes? :huh:

They both talk about sizes/colors/types of dragons. 

Not really. That one is all about scales and basing, this one is about style and colors.

Merge them and the info could get confusing.  Also, what would it be called?

There's a lot of similar talk.

Such as this post about the kinds/colors of these dragons.

Could be a generic "Reaper: All Things Dragon" thread which would cover the questions posted in this one and the other. 

I paint my dragons without a thought to how they might supposed to be haha

My DDS2 dragon Nethdavarr is green

Blight fang is blue, because of that big back fin she is rocking!

Cinder, for me, is a white dragon

And Narthrax is bronze

Even my Nethyrmaul form Bones 1 I painted up as a gold XD

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 6

Blight fang is blue, because of that big back fin she is rocking!

Even with the obviously leaf-shaped scales?  :poke:

BONES II:

So, my Narthrax is a Deep Dragon (based on Bryan's suggestion during the KS).

Narthavarr...or whatever her name is...will probably be Red.

The silver definitely reads bronze to me, as well.

Blightfang will be green (leaf-shaped scales and all).

Cinder would have been red, had I remembered to order her.  :grr:

Verocithrax will be blue. I like blue, and blue is an easy color to paint.

OTHER DRAGONS IN MY INVENTORY:

The Western Desert Dragon (if I ever finish it) is copper.

The Oriental Dragon will be gold, as he should be (thank you, 1st edition).

Ebonwrath will be...snakey. If you've seen my Young Swamp Dragon in the Inspiration Gallery, I'll be going that route.

Nethyrmaul will be...I don't know yet, probably red.

I have two PF Reds, one is gray, the other is green (but in a vignette).

I had a Shadow Dragon, it was red, but was passed on as a gift to my brother-in-law.

I have this Enigma dragon, she will be blue. She's got that big nose horn, and distinct ears.

I also have Mizuchi from GCT Studios. He's...well, he's pretty much all the primary colors. You can see him in the show-off, if you like.

• Like 2