Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I've finished another project that was on my to-do list for years.
First the pics, then some more words:
This was a special resin figure from ReaperCon 2014 (April 24-27 that year) -- sculpted by Bobby Jackson, given to attendees who paid extra for the Artist Banquet on Saturday night.
I was supposed to paint him for Reaper's studio collection after the con, but I got distracted with other stuff and he fell off my list.
He had the SKU 01529 for a while, and although he is out of production now, his clone will be back soon in Bones 5 as part of the "Dreadmere Personas" Core Set extra. I'll try to remember to revise the tags of this post when he has a new 77xxx or 78xxx number.
Ian Markon (Kuro Cleanbrush) painted a spectacular rendition in 2015 as "Knight of the Blood Moon", with red armor and wings. You can find it here on the Forum by searching for "01529".
So far in 2021, I've been finishing some figures left over from years past ... and getting points in the Reaper Challenge League for it.
This guy earned 3 points for the April theme of "No More Sunrises" (vampires and other nocturnal or subterranean monsters).
I couldn't decide on a color scheme so I started painting a cool grey monochrome as if he were in moonlight.
I was going to add a warm light from behind, too, but I just kept going with the cool monochrome all around.
I concentrated on the differences in contrast and texture among the materials: armor plates and trim, cloak exterior and interior, sword (blade, crossguard, pommel, hilt), gems, skin, hair, teeth, stone steps, skull, etc.
I spent extra time on the face, as always, such as getting the blends very smooth.
The eyes are sculpted very large, which gave me freedom to manipulate the expression. I painted the upper lids a fraction of a millimeter lower, to get just the right half-lidded look.
And in order to make him seem more feral, I painted his scleras darker and irises lighter. I did this a few years ago on a half-orc Pathfinder figure I painted (Skreed Gorewillow).
The specific colors were Blue Liner ("black"), the cold grey triad (9172 Stormcover Grey, 9173 Coldstone Grey, and 9174 Icy Grey, now out of production), Misty Grey, and Pure White.
The blending was somewhat challenging, because the greys changed value from wet to dry! Stormcover Grey dries a little lighter, and Icy Grey and Misty Grey dry a little darker. On the back of the cloak, for example, I would see a spot where I wanted to deepen the shadow, and Stormcover Grey looked perfect while wet, but then it would dry lighter and the "shadow" disappeared! So I had to add Blue Liner to the Stormcover Grey, and trusted that what looked too dark at first would look right when dry. This phenomenon made it fun to paint little streaks of Stormcover Grey on the interior of the cloak or the sword blade, because the streak would go on invisible over the black, but then appear grey as it dried a few seconds later.
So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.
They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line. This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs. I am worried about getting a good hold.
So I have a few questions:
1: how to fasten these guys to a base? Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?
So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter. There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders. Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape. I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently. One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.
Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit. I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).
The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.
Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful. My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
Hello everyone, something different this time. I just completed a Tabletop World Water Well. Like I mentioned in the WIP, my main goal was to add weathering effect on the well lid and wood. I painted the lid using the non metallic metal (nmm) technique and then added the verdigris effect. For the copper nmm I used 09030 Leather Brown, 09031 Tanned Leather, 29825 Tusk Ivory and 09039 Pure White. Then, for the verdigris I used a blend of 29848 Jungle Camo, 09294 Alien Goo and 09282 Maggot White.
I also added rust effect on the metal parts as well as rust stains on the wood (below the nails mainly). I finally added shading 09255 Black Wash on some areas to give more contrast to the wooden beams and shingles. Although it doesn’t really show much, I added water effect in the bucket. I may need to add an additional drop. I also added the vine growing alongside the beam on the opposite side of the crank wheel, moss between the shingles and various other plants and flowers.
Who's Online 7 Members, 3 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)