Sign in to follow this  
Monkeybarsixx

Storing reaper paints upside down?

OK, so my painting area is the dinning room table, new to the living room... So I can paint, while still being part of the family, and not locked away in the basement... Lol

Downside is, I do have to be able to "pack up" all my stuff. I was looking for a paint solution, so I could see the paint. I am very new to painting, so I don't have my favorites memorized, etc.... And I really need to see the numbers in the paint bottles to know which triad I am in, or to find a paint that someone else suggests for a good skin tone, or a good Orc tone, etc....

While looking at portable paint solutions.... It occurred to me, that if I just turn the bottles over, and write the number on the bottom, I can get a feel for which color it is, I could see the number, and I can use the clear "plano/rummermaid" containers that my set came in.

For the most part, I have reaper brand paints. Now my question, is it OK to store these upside down? It does seem that it should be OK, obviously as long as the caps are tight. It even seems like it may be a good way to store them, maybe it will prevent any paint drying in the dropper tops? I don't know?

So, OK or bad idea? Storing them upside down.

-Monkeybarsixx

The only problem I see with that is paint settling in the...tip..the top? The tiny hole part that paint comes out of. Just keep a poker handy and you should be fine.

Sideways is the way they are left oriented in paint racks in stores.

I have a similar storage constraint and have kept Reaper paints stored bottom-up for a long time.

As MissMelons said, the paint does tend to settle in the tip.  A handy small paperclip re-pokes the hole perfectly.

=-Jake

I find t-pins superior to unclogging dropper bottles.  YMMV.

What works for me is to store the bottles rightside up, but I also put a drop of the paint in the dimple on the top.  That gives me a good idea for what the color will be when dry.

Keep it sideways, and give a 3/quarter spin every 3 days. make sure the liquid touches the cork (uops, this is for wine storage, well I think if it is good for spoiled grape juice, is good for great paint).

• Like 1

Miss Melons saw my paint storage solution this past weekend.  It is a Really Useful Box, 4L variant iirc.  The paint bottles just fit inside with the lid on.  I used 1/2" thick foam insulation in the bottom.  I cut 2"x3" slots in the insulation, so that I can store two triads together in one bin.  I even printed out a "template" with the paint number and color name to go under the slots.  Helps me return the paint to the correct location.  I ended up with 120 paints per box.

Let me see if I can get some pictures tonight.  What makes it nice is that they stack, have nice handles to hold the lid on, and with a clear top, you can see the color dots on the lids.

One addition to this, I took the color charts posted here on the forum, and made "empty" color charts, with just the paint name and number.  THen I took a dab of paint and added it to the box.  This way, I use my color charts to help select the colors, and then the numbers get me to the correct box.

Sure makes finding colors easy (since I have 2.5 boxes full of paints...)

• Like 3

I have a paint caddy for ALL my paints and a separate dollar store plastic "art bin" that I keep the paints I'm using in. Every month or so I shake the paints in the big bin if I haven't changed anything up due to a project change. It's worked fine so far.