Getting To Know Each Other --- April 2015

TGP

Living in Maryland as I do, we get the edges of them farily often, although it's been a good while since we had a serious strike. I used to live in a low-lying town, so have been subjected to mandatory evacuations several times. Nowadays I live up a hill, so it's not so much of an issue, except for potential basement flooding.

For a miniatures tie-in, I try to stay calm. Once I've got my reserve water ready, ensured that there's gas for the stove in the event of lost power and otherwise made ready, there's nothing to do but sit down and paint until the power goes out or the situation changes. My SO has been delegated the task of worrying for both of us, and drives her to distraction to watch me sitting quietly painting with a storm bearing down on us. If there was anything else that needed doing, I'd do it, but once it's into the waiting, why not?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 4. Irene managed to flood my previous apartment the week after I moved in. Then Sandy ,not technically a hurricane but relevant to the story, annihilated that apartment the day after I turned in the keys.

There were also several others when I was a kid but they seemed less notable because my parents' house was not in a flood zone.

I have been in all of the hurricanes that managed to reach the Boston area since the late '70's, but they tend to be very weakened by the time they get here. I haven't ever experienced any serious hurricane damage.

Heck, 9 year old Klarg was out playing in the rain during part of hurricane Gloria. (Gloria actually pushed over a small tree in my back yard, but it was just a sapling, and was more tilted by 45 degrees than really knocked down)

Yes, I've been in several hurricanes; though most of the time, when they get to New England, they're just heavy rain.  The day Irene hit in 2011, was the day my then girlfriend (now wife) and I were supposed to be moving into our first apartment together.

Question for April...

23. & 24. Have you ever been in a Hurricane?

I have never experienced one....what I get for always living inland I suppose.

Yup.  I got grounded for two weeks for trying to fly a kite during Hurricane Gloria.*  

My mom and all the adults in the neighborhood were across the street enjoying cocktails when the storm rolled in.  I figured if they could go out, so could I, and with all that wind.  Beautiful kite weather.

Mom caught me, chewed me out about not being safe outside, sent me to my room.  As I was sitting at my desk, the oak tree next to the house snapped and fell on the roof right above my room.  The window broke as I was sitting in front of it.  Fortunately, we had an old steel antenna on the roof which absorbed most of the impact so there was no structural damage.  But the plaster ceiling got a big crack in it.  I went flying out of the room.

*I really got grounded because I came storming out of my room swearing about it being really @#$%^@#[email protected]%@#$ ing safe inside too!

• Like 6

Question for April...

20. Ooops, I appear to have skipped Monday1. Moving on to Tuesday (nothing to see here). 

21. and 22. What are you working on to prepare for RCon (if you are going?) / Do you have anything extra, different or interesting planned to do if you are not attending?

1. Usually, skipping Monday is a good idea...although letting questions stand for 2-3 days seems to be giving more people a chance to write answers.

I'm working on stuff for Reapercon.

Question for April...

23. & 24. Have you ever been in a Hurricane?

I have never experienced one....what I get for always living inland I suppose.

Yes, I've lived in New England and been stationed on the East Coast for my whole life, so I've been through every storm since the early 70's.

i was at sea and stuck in the track of hurricane Gordon in 1994(?), that was interesting. The ship was rocking back and forth so bad, I was literally walking on the bulkheads (walls, to you landlubbers).