Sign in to follow this  
joesk

77375 Mashaaf. wip

OK this is my first try at a wip post. This will be on the Mashaaf the Great Old one from the bones 2. First thing I will say is that this guy is ugly, in a good way. The other (and I hope the exception) is that his molding in some parts are bad. I have only opened 2 figures so far from my bones 2 ks, the Kraken was pretty good as far as mold lines. This guy on the other hand was not. For the main body I hand carve a lot off and also heat the pieces to the point of melting to get a good fit. Also it has a lot of seam lines that I had to try and clean. Didn't deal with all of them, but tried to get the worst ones.

post-12785-0-25349600-1427903576_thumb.jpg

I have primed him with tan paint because I plan on doing light colors on him. After priming I saw some more lines to cleanup. I am hoping the paints and colors I use will hide some I don't get. Also around the main seam I will use a thicker paint to fill it in (I hope).

post-12785-0-76661900-1427903834_thumb.jpg

This is the most challenging part. The mouth piece was not fitting at all. I did some carving and used to heat to try and reshape it. I will have to use green putty to fill in the rest. Unless I see some other suggestions that are better.

As for the coloring I am going to use the same colors on the wizkids Cthulu figure. So it should look gruesome and icky.

Joe

• Like 13

Here is the assembled mouth before I try and green putty it.post-12785-0-13451500-1427917392_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-68661300-1427917413_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-72397400-1427917436_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-65194200-1427917795_thumb.jpg

I'll fill the gaps and hopefully be able to carve it to look good. It has been many years (30th so) since I have done this so hope it works like I want.

Joe

Edited by joesk
  • Like 9

Mashaaf is an awesome piece (generally speaking), i am sure he will come out great.  I love his size.  I am not much the painting type so i will probably leave him as is like with all my bones.  But i must say his is one of my favorites.

• Like 1

If you have some mold lines or small seams that you want to cover I would recommend using gloss varnish instead of thick paint.  It might take a couple of passes but varnish tends to self-level and leave a smooth surface that you can just paint over.  For larger gaps though you'll still want to use milliput or green stuff.

• Like 2

Well I just tried to use the green putty. I went to the 2 hobby stores here and they had none of any model putty, tons of sculpt and fimo. So I have to use the 25 year old tube I have. Luckily it is still usable. However, when I used it before it was on models with enamel paints. Well you all,but me,know it doesn't work with acrylics. It just peels the paint off so I will see how my first application works. Now I know that I need to putty before priming. Also I don't know if it because it is so old, but it seems to take much longer to set. My test is just now getting hard after 7 hours.

While waiting for the green stuff to dry, I figured I would get out all the Cthuluesqe figures I am going to paint and clean them up and assemble. I also pulled out Cthulu himself to show what colors I am going to try and do them in. I used to paint mind's in batches so figured I would just do the little ones while doing the old one.post-12785-0-44398900-1427965548_thumb.jpg

Hoping to make it look like they are his brood. I am planning on running a pathlulu game.

• Like 7

Well I guess 25 year old green putty still works.post-12785-0-94443100-1427966971_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-03656900-1427966993_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-02522300-1427967250_thumb.jpg

It's not pretty but will do for what I want. It should look better once I prime it again. I will start painting on it tomorrow.

Joe

• Like 6

Chiming in a little late, but I do have a suggestion that I'm planning on testing some when I tackle some of the bigger bones.      Golden Molding paste, or Liquitex flexible modeling paste.   They seem to be very similar products and are useful for gap filling.  They're also more readily available outside of game stores/online ordering than green stuff.     Pingo gives some info on them in her thread on the fire dragon here.

Edited by Blubbernaught
  • Like 1

Little update. I have put my base collor cotes on.post-12785-0-06676800-1428265157_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-22878000-1428265164_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-68102600-1428265170_thumb.jpg

The base cotes are basically to setup what are the rocky bits and fleshy bits and the teeth/claws. I started with the lighter shade of green i am going to use and the darker shade i am going to use for the stones. I will basacally paint the base as the stone floor and extend its colors to the stone on its back, to reflect that it just emerged from underneath, as was posted in someones precious post. Again i am trying to match the colors on my big cthulu figure so it will look like its related (other then the mass of tenticles).

post-12785-0-99296800-1428265440_thumb.jpg And these I will be painting alongside with mashaaf since I will be using simular colors. For the stand on the Goroloth I used one of the flight stands that is used for Wizkids Battletech click mini game for hellocopters. I just used the shaft and glued it to a large base.

Joe

• Like 9

Well put some highlights and shading on the rocks.

post-12785-0-92329800-1428348120_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-85022900-1428348124_thumb.jpg

For right now I am going to say they are done. I will start on the upper body next with the darker shade of green.  After that I might revisit the rocks and put more detail on them if needed.

I have decided to go with purple for the inner parts (mouth and egg extruder) so will use purple for the little circles on the body and will try (try is operative word) to put the illusion of his belly being slightly translucent and have purple bleed through.

I am still building (re-building) my skills for painting and will also be trying to learn new tricks. I was never really that good to begin with, but I always figured a figure with some color on it is better then one without.

Edited by joesk
  • Like 6

Awesome colors.  The green looks reallyy good and the rocks as well.  The rocks look as though they are attached to his back the way gold becomes a part of a dragon's underbelly.  Nice work.

• Like 1

Well here is another update. I have the top painted mostely no detail yet. What I am trying to do, and i thought it was working was make the colors look muddled and not uniform so as to give a dirty slimy look. But it isn't quite what I was wanting.I semi drybrushed a darker color over the light green then I thined up and lightened the darker base coat and brushed over that, but it covered it too well so now its back to one color.

post-12785-0-22605100-1428661169_thumb.jpgpost-12785-0-10945200-1428661197_thumb.jpg

The only area that worked the way I wanted was the one arm here.post-12785-0-64468300-1428661925_thumb.jpg I was hoping this would work as it was going to be how i was going to do the belly but with lighter green skin letting the purple inards show through slightly.

And here is the brood together. The smaller ones have the dark color I used as an under coat for the big guy, but the lighter color just covered it too well.

post-12785-0-36532300-1428661227_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Nice concept.  Looks pretty good.  I am not much of a painter but one tip i will say if you want a slime look, i once used clear nail polish ontop of a paint job to add a shiney look.  Works well.

• Like 1