Sign in to follow this  
scipio.au

Foundry Greek Skeletons (plus some Bones) - Jason & The Argonauts Unit 2: Spears!

The second unit for the Mythical Greek army is the one shown below - made up of Reaper Bones Skeletal Spearmen and the starts of the show - the other half of the Wargames Foundry Greek Mythology Skeletons range. "Children of the Hydra." Unfortunately, the whole range is made up of only 10 models across two blisters - 4 with spears and 6 with swords. Within that only a few of them look distinctly Greek, so with 6 models needed to fill out the regiment, I decided to look elsewhere rather than order another pack from Foundry (I prefer fewer doubled-up figures, anyway). Their sister unit, armed with swords was finished some time ago, as was most of this unit, but some recruiting issues drew finishing this lot out for longer than I'd hoped.

IMG_3027_zpsna2vcqf3.jpg

The metals from Foundry worked out well. I just wish more of them had more explicitly Greek gear. I replaced their metal spears in the end with plastic ones from the Wargames Factory skeleton set. The shield on this guy comes from Little Big Men, and was a real bear to apply. Apparently it may have come from a faulty batch, since the plastic film would just not come off, and destroyed two other transfers in the process/attempts...

IMG_3030_zpsp6ynsjnd.jpg

In the end to fill out the missing two in the ranks, I again turned to the Wargames Factory plastic skeletons. They're already Greek-themed to an extent, which is great. My only concern was how fine they are, and as such are very susceptible to breakage as wargaming figures - especially with spears sticking up everywhere. Still, with these guys towards the middle it should be fine. Again WGF comes to the rescue of the WGF-dominated unit. In the end, I decided against adding shields to the skeletons bracing their spears - mostly because there was no easy and effective way to attach them that would still look good. A bit of a shame, but c'est la vie.

I went with the one skeleton coming out of the ground to help invoke the whole Jason and the Argonauts thing. A classic from our youth, (even if it was made before many of us were born, it was often shown late on Saturday Mornings here, as well as when VHS arrived.

And now, The obligatory Finished Unit shot:

IMG_2948_zpsacwfxx8d.jpg

And finally, an army shot of the Mythological Greeks so far. Not a whole lot yet, but it shows the two units of Skeletons along with the Foundry Bronze Bull painted earlier this year.

IMG_3034_zpsajh0snhs.jpg

The Mythical Greek Army begins to take shape.

• Like 16

They look great.

Maybe you want to check out Bronze age miniatures?

They have some Skeletons in Ancient Armor that look like heavy Hoplites.

If you can't find them under the Undead, Then look in the Historical section under Greek.

Somehow they thought this would make sense.,..

Thanks Xherman, I'll check them out. Chaoswolf - I have to admit it didn't take my imagination to come up with that, the WGF sprue comes with a "broken earth" base just for that very use. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Xherman, I'll check them out. Chaoswolf - I have to admit it didn't take my imagination to come up with that, the WGF sprue comes with a "broken earth" base just for that very use. :)

You're welcome.

keep up the good work..

Edited by Xherman1964

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this