Glossy sheen leaching through the flat coat.

Hello all, I have been model making for a long time. I just ran into an issue with the bones line of minis. I cleaned as much of the flash I could get off of the minis, then I used a hobby specific super glue to attach a base to the minis. Then I primed the minis and base with a spray enamel primer. Then I used a combination of Reaper, Vallejo and craft (Delta, Amercana and such) acrylic paints on the minis. No problem so far. I gave them a general wash of dark burnt umber and then dry brushed them, these are acrylic products as well. I then added a mixture of flocking and static grass on the base. I applied two coats of dull coat and called it good. A week later we got out the minis for the first time to use in a Savage world campaign and they were fine. Two weeks later we played the same campaign but when we got out the minis from the foam carrying case I noticed the minis were a little gloomy and slightly sticky. I'm thinking something leached through the paint to the surface.

Has this happened to anyone? If so any ideas how to fix it?

post-13925-0-72058700-1428233639_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought is your enamel primer. Primer for me on bones has either never dried / cured, made bones rubbery and soft, or otherwise bad stuff. Attempts at using enamel paint on bones have also been highly unfavorable, with about a 80% failure rate by never drying, leaching through paint, and other such things.

Thanks, do you clean the bones minis with soap and water before working on them? A lot of modelers do this to all of there minis before they start. I myself have never done that and have never had problems whether it is a plastic or metal model. I will look for an acrylic primer and try that.

Thanks, do you clean the bones minis with soap and water before working on them? A lot of modelers do this to all of there minis before they start. I myself have never done that and have never had problems whether it is a plastic or metal model. I will look for an acrylic primer and try that.

You don't need any primer for a bones mini at all. This is the reason that Bones is so awesome and unique.  You should wash the mini with cool water and soap to remove any possible releasing agent that may be on the bones themselves.

Personally, I like to prime with a thinned liner, wait until it is dry, then begin base coating.

Also...don't use any spray primers at all on them..

Oh and if you used a foam tray....the reason they are sticky may actually be from the adhesive that was used on the foam. 

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 1

I also suspect the problem is with the primer since Bones does not react well with several primers.  Although Bones can be painted without primer, I usually prime since it seems to make it a bit easier for me to get a smooth base coat down.  Most of the time I prime by brushing on a coat of Reaper Master Series Brown Liner which could be used straight from the bottle or slightly thinned with water.  Don't thin the liner as much as you would paint or it may not adhere to smooth areas on the Bones,  Some of the time I prime with Army Painter Color Primer: although it is a spray, I have never had a problem when using it on Bones and several other posters have also used it with success.

Edited by ferret

Thinned liner, I don't recognize that term. Can you clarify?

I also suspect the problem is with the primer since Bones does not react well with several primers.  Although Bones can be painted without primer, I usually prime since it seems to make it a bit easier for me to get a smooth base coat down.  Most of the time I prime by brushing on a coat of Reaper Master Series Brown Liner which could be used straight from the bottle or slightly thinned with water.  Don't thin the liner as much as you would paint or it may not adhere to smooth areas on the Bones,  Some of the time I prime with Army Painter Color Primer: although it is a spray, I have never had a problem when using it on Bones and several other posters have also used it with success.

Always scrub down you Bones with a good degreaser like dish detergent to get the mold release off.

The liners are formulated with extra flow improver in them to make them great for outlining objects, and because they're essentially off-black versions of their respective colors, also make for really great shading colors...

Also, I have found that using Reaper's Brush-on Sealer or a matte acrylic medium also works as a primer for Bones, although not quite as well as the liners.

It is the enamel primer.   Nothing can be done about it.

It is not a issue of whether the mini is washed or not

You can strip the mini and start over. This may work.  I tested a primer on a bones and it stayed sticky

It is being stripped now. I have not taken it out of the stripper to see how it did.

Most hobby primers work,  Games Work Shop and  Army Painter work