Verocithrax Metal Tree Issues

Well the metal version ( can't base anything on the Bones one as I don't have that one) both wings are the same height.

As far as pinning, most Bones you don't but wings I personally would. While I don't have allot of experience pinning I will say one thing, get a pin vice that fits your hand & of good quality. I picked up one up recently & it makes me want to pin stuff on now.

RM

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished mine today! I had a lot of trouble getting the tree right too, not sure if it was bent or the base was warped (I did boil it) but it just didn't want to sit well. I just used a whole bunch of green stuff to fill the gap and added to the roots a bit to make it blend nicely with the base.

I actually painted him almost completely, in pieces, before putting him together, finishing the paint job, and only then finding out about the droopy wing. Argh! But it was a pretty easy fix. I put one long pin in from just under the first top claw, all the way through that skinny tendon thing, and into the wing. That helped a lot, but I found it was rotating along the thin section between the first two claws, so I put another pin diagonally from in front of that first bottom claw up to near the start of the tendon. Now the wing is staying up well. Had to touch up a lot of the paint that got rubbed off from the effort of pushing those pins in, though!

He's my favourite of the reaper dragons, super glad I got him despite the troubles that come with his skinny frame!

Edit: Here's a picture of where I put the pins in:

YpegwAD.jpg

Edited by purple llama
  • Like 2

So far so good! Been a few days now and no noticeable movement. I just used cheap sewing pins, carefully shoving them in a bit at a time with pliers. (No pre-drilling.)

Sadly I've noticed now that he's been left alone for awhile his left wing is bending very slightly backwards at that same tendon, so I'm probably going to end up sticking a pin or two in it as well.

So far so good! Been a few days now and no noticeable movement. I just used cheap sewing pins, carefully shoving them in a bit at a time with pliers. (No pre-drilling.)

Sadly I've noticed now that he's been left alone for awhile his left wing is bending very slightly backwards at that same tendon, so I'm probably going to end up sticking a pin or two in it as well.

So you are just pushing the pins into the Bones material when you have it in the position you like to stabilize?  No drilling or heating it up to make it go in easier?

Yeah, I just line them up as straight as I can, and push them in. It can take a lot of force, especially after it gets a ways in. The main trick is to hold the pin with pliers just a few mm from where it's inserted - if you hold it too far away, the pin is likely to just bend, and while you can bend them back if you do it too much it'll be prone to breaking, which defeats the purpose. So it's a pretty slow process, grab, push until the pliers hit the plastic, reposition pliers, push more.

Sometimes your aim will be off, if the pin pops out where it shouldn't pull it back a ways, bend the piece a lot so that the pin won't just go back to its old channel, push it in again. You can then straighten the piece out. The nice thing about taking it slow is often only the very tip pops out, and the plastic will heal when you pull it back in.

You can also bend them once the pin is in, the plastic stops it from bending tightly enough to break, but the bent pin will hold whatever shape you bent it to (you have to over bend a bit, since they've got some spring to 'em.) It gives the minis back some of the versatility of metal.

Once you've got it in as far as you want, pull it out a bit, snip the end, and push it all the way in, a little deeper than the surface. The bones plastic will squish when you push it, then spring back leaving the metal hidden inside. You're left with a teeny mark that can be primed over easily, or greenstuffed if it's somewhere noticeable.

• Like 2

Now that your talking about pushing in the pins by force, something normally inconceivable in metal or resin minis, I imagine it would be much easier if you boiled the Bones moments earlier to have them at their softest.

I might try that too on my fussy minis.

• Like 1