Have you ever mapped out a town (on graph paper or mat) in playable size?

Rakumi

Krist, cool stuff.  Have you ever made a playable scale of towns or structures?

Hey, TGP

I guess i was trying to combine multiple elements into the castle design like it was a castle and mini community as well because it is one piece.  Also, it is one story aside from the wall towers at each corner.  Now if this castle was being played next to my little town, it would really not make sense to have a market or even a lounge (which i put) because it is part of something bigger.  But if it was a castle in the middle of nowhere, thats when i start placing these extra elements.  But thanks for the info and it really helps.  From what you have mentioned, i think i will place the library in the royal chambers section.  Just to give you an idea, even though my castle is one structure, the room layout is similar to how a segmented castle would be with a keep and all.  So like the front rooms are the more common rooms and the royal chambers can only be entered by the great hall/throne room so that gives it a sense of separation like how the keep is in a segmented castle setup.

Edited by Rakumi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Krist, cool stuff.  Have you ever made a playable scale of towns or structures?

Do you mean 3d models? Or just paper maps at gaming scale?

No matter - the answer to both is yes.

I play a lot of mini games, so I have a lot of scratchbuilt foamcore buildings. I don't often use them for roleplaying, but I have. One of my current (very long term) projects is to build an entire modular medieval style town complete with castle walls and towers that I can fill an 4'x8' table with (mostly to play Mordheim or Warlord with). I'm maybe 15% complete on that, though.

For paper maps at gaming scale for roleplaying, one of the nice features of CC3 is that you can print the whole or just part of the map out at various scales, with and without grids. So I'll print out full maps on 8.5" x 11" paper for player handouts and quick reference, and then the same map on 11"x17" for myself. And then, when I need a gaming scale battlemat of a portion of a map, I'll print it out at the right scale (usually 1" = 5 ft) tiled across multiple pieces of paper. If it's a map I'll use repeatedly, I'll even mount it to sheet of foamcore or thin card.

Finally found my old map after some hard drive archeological digs.

Downtown Veon on the river Pirr, population: 4172
ville15.jpg

The smaller streets are about 10ft wide, so 50ft per visible square. Waterfall on the upper right.

All those little circles on some areas have their description.

Edited by Cranky Dog