Sign in to follow this  
Jaws

Jaws' WIP thread, 77190 Nethyrmaul and 14647 Nadezhda the White

Got this cute little fellow in the mail the other day. Never painted anything this big, and wanted to show my progress and experiences.

First I glued him together. Was really surprised about the fact that it wasn't actually necessary to use glue, yet I did it just in case. Then applied some green stuff in the cracks. 

post-13938-0-01347700-1428593837_thumb.jpgpost-13938-0-35503300-1428593840_thumb.jpgpost-13938-0-49927100-1428593842_thumb.jpg

The black stain on the base is me testing the rumor about washes not sticking to bones. And that was true. Luckily the rumor about mixing dish soap in the paint, to fix it, was also true. Never painted with dish soap before, so that was.. interesting. 

So then I covered him in a basecoat of gloss varnish, before I painted white over the green stuff, and gave him a nice wash of dark, purple ink. Once that was almost dry, I started adding a dark blue wash:

post-13938-0-31864500-1428593845_thumb.jpgpost-13938-0-60264900-1428593847_thumb.jpg

Painted in the flesh, bones and eye. Also applied a drybrush of dark blue: 

post-13938-0-33214100-1428593850_thumb.jpgpost-13938-0-57041100-1428593853_thumb.jpgpost-13938-0-21789100-1428593860_thumb.jpg

One more drybrush and pondering on how to continue the wings:

post-13938-0-07948400-1428593866_thumb.jpg

Edit: This capable young lady will be the rider: 

post-13938-0-40455500-1428790042_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 13

During the drybrushing, it peeled off in places. Had to go over once again. But when I was aware of it, it was not a problem to avoid it, by using less pressure on the brush. Think that once the final varnish is applied, it will be fine.  

Okay.. So the paint does not stick. It's not possible to apply varnish with a brush, so I'll have to buy a spray.. 

WIP pic of the base while waiting. Base coated with grey "garage" primer to avoid any similar paint-stick issues, painted white-ish-blue, washed with Enchanted blue, then drybrushed with pure white:

post-13938-0-02151700-1428643968_thumb.jpgpost-13938-0-58948800-1428643979_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I just realized this thread doesn't follow the guidelines.. I was going to just use this thread for all my projects in one place, but it seems the guidelines frown on this? Should be one project; one thread? 

Could someone clarify? 

I just realized this thread doesn't follow the guidelines.. I was going to just use this thread for all my projects in one place, but it seems the guidelines frown on this? Should be one project; one thread? 

Could someone clarify? 

From what I understand, it's one project=one thread (that's what I do).

But it seems to be okay to do multiple projects in the same thread as long as there is a time limit on it to stop it getting too long.

Progress: 

post-13938-0-12405400-1428808685_thumb.jpg

Edit: Oh, and this just for fun. I will never glue this fellow to his base! 

post-13938-0-61502400-1428809611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 6

Okay, so I usually show my miniatures to others to see if they see any glaring mistakes that I have missed while oogling my creations for too long..

The only person around today was my cousin, who's a professional computer gamer and don't really understand what's the big deal with with the little 'action figures'. 

Anyway, he merely looked at the dragon and said: ""Why didn't you put the rider in the stomach?" "There's obviously a hole for it." 

I thought this was a ridiculously fun and great idea!

Obviously it's a little late in the process to do that.. but I can see the next one painted all black and gooey, with a chaos-like mutant thingie waving at the troops from the opening in the belly. :D

However, it also made me think of this: "What happens to stuff the zombie dragons eat?"  

I decided they get halfway digested and crawl out to give the living a thumbs up. Or the middle finger.. or at the very least go looking for some skin to borrow. 

post-13938-0-43663800-1428894493.jpg

Somehow I had to listen to this after making the addtion. So I feel it worked out great. :D

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 5

She is basically done now, but I have found I have no space to photograph the result. :)

Here is a pic anyway:

post-13938-0-32228500-1429041577_thumb.jpg

• Like 5