Alright I want to see what everyone's working on base-wise, even if it's some simple, basic (ha! see what I did there?) stuff. Let's share the bases we are working on.

First, I'll show you a couple of the ones I did recently.

This was nothing special but one of my first attempts at sculpting any kind of base. Attempted to be some sort of stone/cobblestone street. Just some flattened out milliput then with one of my little clay tools carved in the stones. After it dried, filled it with some white glue and some GF9 grass.

post-13639-0-51036800-1428641503.jpg post-13639-0-02985300-1428641504.jpg

Next, I was trying to make some appropriate bases for the cultists I'm currently working on. After finishing all four of these, I decided they weren't "evil" enough and am trying other options. Also, it took me about 3 different iterations of various peoples marble tutorials to get anywhere with painting marble. Not sure if links are okay, but you can search for centerpiece miniatures painting marble bases. I translated the colors they used from citadel to the MSP and am fairly pleased. These were certainly a lot more realistic and a lot more consistent than the multiple attempts at marble I had made prior. Of course, now I have no one to put them on, but I'm sure something will come up.

post-13639-0-64891300-1428641504.jpg

post-13639-0-59727300-1428641505.jpg

post-13639-0-11607600-1428641506.jpg

I also struggled to find the appropriate coating for them. Initially a tried a gloss coat thinking it would make it look like a nice shiny marble floor but the coating still dried 'too thin' as in it didn't seem to have the depth I wanted, and also just crazy shiny instead of looking polished. So then I sprayed them with testors and that's why they look all flat now.

Alright, now your turn! Show me what you're working on!

• Like 14
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright I want to see what everyone's working on base-wise, even if it's some simple, basic (ha! see what I did there?) stuff. Let's share the bases we are working on.   First, I'll show you a coupl

This is the base I am working on, for an Infinity TAG (a mecha robot, lets say).    It is tilted, 50mm, Reaper plastic base then layered cork to give the tilt, I added a plastic tube to be undergrou

Some bases I've done previously.   Fall 2014 Exchange piece (just base pictures) - Kharsin has this one.       Summer 2014 Exchange Piece - Dontfear has this one       Just a base I made w

Posted Images

I also struggled to find the appropriate coating for them. Initially a tried a gloss coat thinking it would make it look like a nice shiny marble floor but the coating still dried 'too thin' as in it didn't seem to have the depth I wanted, and also just crazy shiny instead of looking polished. So then I sprayed them with testors and that's why they look all flat now.

You may want to try using a satin finish or maybe semi-gloss. If you have mixable gloss and matte sealers, you can try to mix your own instead of buying individual sheens.

I just starting out basing, so my bases are basic.  So far I have set down a layer of glue, then added sand / rocks / coffee grounds.  Then painted and sealed.

I also have added small bushes to a few bases.  I did one cobblestone, and one with just yellow grass flocking. 

I backed a KS for some stamp pads, shipping has been delayed till May.  It should give me several stonework, ruins and rough terrain options. 

My Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/57743-1st-basing-experiments-and-beyond/

the spring exchange mini is as complicated as I have done so far, but not that far from the dwarf.

Here are my latest attempts: 

post-12081-0-18594100-1428677546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

This is a SPLENDID idea...of course, this is coming from a Basing Fanatic. Be that as it may, these are the ones I currently have on my worktable:

post-4409-0-08439800-1428684718_thumb.jpg

post-4409-0-86151200-1428684742_thumb.jpg

post-4409-0-24853400-1428684776_thumb.jpg

post-4409-0-97026000-1428684813_thumb.jpg

post-4409-0-92987600-1428684852_thumb.jpg

AND one a little further along:

post-4409-0-94743400-1428685119_thumb.jpg

post-4409-0-37426300-1428685202_thumb.jpg

I base my miniatures prior to painting...it's neater that way for moi at least. Combined with loving to base things up & having quite a backlog, this means I have hundreds of pieces based & primed & ready for paint or, in this instance, photos....I keep myself in check.

• Like 11

I just starting out basing, so my bases are basic.  So far I have set down a layer of glue, then added sand / rocks / coffee grounds.  Then painted and sealed.

I also have added small bushes to a few bases.

What are those bushes, is that woodland scenics underbrush or something similar? I got some but haven't tried it out. Also are you talking about Basius? I missed the KS but am waiting for his stuff to go retail.

AND one a little further along:

attachicon.gifDSCN0351.JPG

I base my miniatures prior to painting...it's neater that way for moi at least. Combined with loving to base things up & having quite a backlog, this means I have hundreds of pieces based & primed & ready for paint or, in this instance, photos....I keep myself in check.

How did you get that sort of swirly looking grass effect?

• Like 1

Those a Siliflor MiniNatur Wild Grass tufts...I use Heki also. The swirl is from my habit of dry brushing the grass; it gives the grass more definition & adds a sense of motion.

Both Siliflor & Heki are available form Scenic Express...nice Folks to deal with.

This isn't a great picture; overcropped and the bad lighting is leading to grainy effects and a overly contrasty (for a change) view of the figure, but I recently had a first try at a quick sculpted base. Here's Marie the She-Bot, on cobblestones, suggesting the exterior of Rotwang's preserved house, or perhaps the catacombs of Metropolis...

post-12821-0-69817600-1428765269_thumb.jpg

The stones were just incised into a layer of Liquitex Acrylic Modelling Paste (the thick stuff, with the marble dust...)

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

Those a Siliflor MiniNatur Wild Grass tufts...I use Heki also. The swirl is from my habit of dry brushing the grass; it gives the grass more definition & adds a sense of motion.

Both Siliflor & Heki are available form Scenic Express...nice Folks to deal with.

Thx for sharing that.

Also I can't wait to see that packrat painted.

This isn't a great picture; overcropped and the bad lighting is leading to grainy effects and a overly contrasty (for a change) view of the figure, but I recently had a first try at a quick sculpted base. Here's Marie the She-Bot, on cobblestones, suggesting the exterior of Rotwang's preserved house, or perhaps the catacombs of Metropolis...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The stones were just incised into a layer of Liquitex Acrylic Modelling Paste (the thick stuff, with the marble dust...)

I love these bases. Good Topic

• Like 1

I really liked how that turned out. You inspired me to pick up that modeling paste, I am always looking for more tools/options. I had debated getting the citadel Devlin mud so I hope this is a suitable and cheaper substitute. Especially for the times I am too lazy to pull out my milliput.

• Like 1

I really liked how that turned out. You inspired me to pick up that modeling paste, I am always looking for more tools/options. I had debated getting the citadel Devlin mud so I hope this is a suitable and cheaper substitute. Especially for the times I am too lazy to pull out my milliput.
Before anyone goes looking for it, my memory failed me. The actual product used wasn't Liquitex; it was a Golden "Gel Mediums Molding Paste". I got it from Michael's. It has a consistency similar to spackle, and the packaging doesn't mention any marble dust. (DId I once have a jar of Liquitex that did?) Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 1

Just so you know, GW's devlin mud was a wash, not a basing material. I also think it's not made anymore, or they changed the name.