The stones were just incised into a layer of Liquitex Acrylic Modelling Paste (the thick stuff, with the marble dust...)

I really liked how that turned out. You inspired me to pick up that modeling paste, I am always looking for more tools/options. I had debated getting the citadel Devlin mud so I hope this is a suitable and cheaper substitute. Especially for the times I am too lazy to pull out my milliput.

Just so you know, GW's devlin mud was a wash, not a basing material. I also think it's not made anymore, or they changed the name.

You are right. I was thinking of Stirland Mud. A set of citadel paints was my first set, but otherwise I'm only familiar with the names from tutorials so confused the two.  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright I want to see what everyone's working on base-wise, even if it's some simple, basic (ha! see what I did there?) stuff. Let's share the bases we are working on.   First, I'll show you a coupl

This is the base I am working on, for an Infinity TAG (a mecha robot, lets say).    It is tilted, 50mm, Reaper plastic base then layered cork to give the tilt, I added a plastic tube to be undergrou

Some bases I've done previously.   Fall 2014 Exchange piece (just base pictures) - Kharsin has this one.       Summer 2014 Exchange Piece - Dontfear has this one       Just a base I made w

Posted Images

Here's a photo of one of my early attempts at making marble myself. I don't think it worked out for marble, but the mister suggested if I can recreate the color scheme without the cracks it might make a good one for sandstone bases for some of the egyptian miniatures.

post-13639-0-51613200-1428867172.jpg

• Like 8

This is the base I am working on, for an Infinity TAG (a mecha robot, lets say). 

It is tilted, 50mm, Reaper plastic base then layered cork to give the tilt, I added a plastic tube to be underground piping, then the asphalt texture is plaster casted over sandpaper, cracked and further scratched with sculpting tools.

Green things are bullets and the metal thingy is a crushed soda can...

20150412_130740.jpg

• Like 11

Some bases I've done previously.

Fall 2014 Exchange piece (just base pictures) - Kharsin has this one.

post-7987-0-59146000-1428938833_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-11672600-1428938835_thumb.jpg

Summer 2014 Exchange Piece - Dontfear has this one

post-7987-0-82736500-1428938836_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-03793000-1428938838_thumb.jpg

Just a base I made which hasn't been used yet.

post-7987-0-38860700-1428938839_thumb.jpg

A 1 inch base within a 2-inch base for a barbarian of a player who used to play in our pathfinder group

post-7987-0-43013700-1428938840_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

UBERCOOL STUFF, ub3r! The McFiggin's Tavern piece, however, is an OUTSTANDING creation that will enhance whatever miniature(s) is place upon it. VERY WELL DONE one & all!

Thanks!

It's already in Kharsin's display cabinet. Here's the show-off thread for it with final pics I took and Kharsin also took some pics.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

The stones were just incised into a layer of Liquitex Acrylic Modelling Paste (the thick stuff, with the marble dust...)

I really liked how that turned out. You inspired me to pick up that modeling paste, I am always looking for more tools/options. I had debated getting the citadel Devlin mud so I hope this is a suitable and cheaper substitute. Especially for the times I am too lazy to pull out my milliput.

Just so you know, GW's devlin mud was a wash, not a basing material. I also think it's not made anymore, or they changed the name.

It's Agrax Earthshade now.

• Like 1
It is tilted, 50mm, Reaper plastic base then layered cork to give the tilt, I added a plastic tube to be underground piping, then the asphalt texture is plaster casted over sandpaper, cracked and further scratched with sculpting tools.

That is genius, never thought of doing that for asphalt texture.

• Like 2