It is tilted, 50mm, Reaper plastic base then layered cork to give the tilt, I added a plastic tube to be underground piping, then the asphalt texture is plaster casted over sandpaper, cracked and further scratched with sculpting tools.

That is genius, never thought of doing that for asphalt texture.

An experiment. Let's see how it looks with paint. I could not use straight sandpaper because I needed to model the mini crushing it down.

• Like 3
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright I want to see what everyone's working on base-wise, even if it's some simple, basic (ha! see what I did there?) stuff. Let's share the bases we are working on.   First, I'll show you a coupl

This is the base I am working on, for an Infinity TAG (a mecha robot, lets say).    It is tilted, 50mm, Reaper plastic base then layered cork to give the tilt, I added a plastic tube to be undergrou

Some bases I've done previously.   Fall 2014 Exchange piece (just base pictures) - Kharsin has this one.       Summer 2014 Exchange Piece - Dontfear has this one       Just a base I made w

Posted Images

Some bases I've done previously.

Fall 2014 Exchange piece (just base pictures) - Kharsin has this one.

Summer 2014 Exchange Piece - Dontfear has this one

Just a base I made which hasn't been used yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_1784.JPG

A 1 inch base within a 2-inch base for a barbarian of a player who used to play in our pathfinder group

Amazing on the first one. Did you hand sculpt all that, including that beautiful door? Is that just freehand on the sign?

Also love the creepy spider upside down like that with the webs, very clever placement.

Are the stones in that cobblestone hand sculpted as well? They look fantastic and professionally cast.

• Like 3

These should go up soon in the show-off with the cultists I finished on them. When I decided the marble I showed in the first post was too light for cultists I tried to come up with something darker. This was the one I ended up going forward with.

The idea was stone temple floors. This is the first one.

post-13639-0-42608000-1429069248.jpg

And then I attempted to recreate for the next three.

post-13639-0-98713900-1429069248_thumb.jpg

That's just flattened out milliput where I carved the edges a little to make it look a little more irregular / like a random piece of floor. Then just used another base to carve out some circular lines that I could paint in later. My original painting was green, but decided to go to red to better match the cultists.

• Like 8

Some bases I've done previously.

Fall 2014 Exchange piece (just base pictures) - Kharsin has this one.

Summer 2014 Exchange Piece - Dontfear has this one

Just a base I made which hasn't been used yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_1784.JPG

A 1 inch base within a 2-inch base for a barbarian of a player who used to play in our pathfinder group

Amazing on the first one. Did you hand sculpt all that, including that beautiful door? Is that just freehand on the sign?

Also love the creepy spider upside down like that with the webs, very clever placement.

Are the stones in that cobblestone hand sculpted as well? They look fantastic and professionally cast.

Thanks!

The door itself from that one is a Hirst Arts piece and the Sign is from a previous Oathsworn Dwarves kickstarter (they had furniture and signs and stuff), I did the rest scratch built.

Spider - webs, thanks!

Cobblestones are actually little bricks I got from Secret Weapon I believe, I just laid them down (with superglue) on a 2 inch wooden base, then painted/washed/glazed it and then put realistic water over it to make it look wet.

• Like 4

The stones were just incised into a layer of Liquitex Acrylic Modelling Paste (the thick stuff, with the marble dust...)

I really liked how that turned out. You inspired me to pick up that modeling paste, I am always looking for more tools/options. I had debated getting the citadel Devlin mud so I hope this is a suitable and cheaper substitute. Especially for the times I am too lazy to pull out my milliput.

Just so you know, GW's devlin mud was a wash, not a basing material. I also think it's not made anymore, or they changed the name.

It's Agrax Earthshade now.

Thanks for that. Is it the same color with a new name, or does it look different? I'm almost out of my Devlin Mud. ::(:

@Ub3r N3rd---you've got some very cool bases going on there, my friend!

• Like 2

The stones were just incised into a layer of Liquitex Acrylic Modelling Paste (the thick stuff, with the marble dust...)

I really liked how that turned out. You inspired me to pick up that modeling paste, I am always looking for more tools/options. I had debated getting the citadel Devlin mud so I hope this is a suitable and cheaper substitute. Especially for the times I am too lazy to pull out my milliput.

Just so you know, GW's devlin mud was a wash, not a basing material. I also think it's not made anymore, or they changed the name.

It's Agrax Earthshade now.

Thanks for that. Is it the same color with a new name, or does it look different? I'm almost out of my Devlin Mud. ::(:

@Ub3r N3rd---you've got some very cool bases going on there, my friend!

It's 98.5% the same. I would say the brown element of it has a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, little bit more red (if you can call it that) that is undetectable to any but the more superheroic amongst us. Or, more accurately, the red in the brown is more prominent because (so I hear) they lessened the green counter-tone. Some claim it is thicker and you might want to thin it with water, but I have not yet had any trouble with viscosity.

Some people flew off the handle and claimed their lives were both literally and figuratively destroyed when the change occurred. But so far the world has managed to keep orbiting the sun.

My personal feeling is that if people were not told it was different, and they used the same name, the majority would not have noticed the difference. I would have. You might. But it's not so earth shattering a thing, really. I recommend it, if you liked Devlan Mud.

I have ranted.

• Like 3

Some people flew off the handle and claimed their lives were both literally and figuratively destroyed when the change occurred. But so far the world has managed to keep orbiting the sun.

Whoa, the world orbits the sun?!?!?! Next you're probably going to tell me that the world is round... ^_^

Will have to try that wash, thanks for the review.

EDIT: had to get the multi-quoting trimmed down.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2

I've been making a base!

ewjmX9.jpg

I really need to move on from cork 'rock formations'.

That looks great, you shouldn't be so modest about your cork work. How'd you get it to come out so smooth? My cork always looks like cork.

I cheated.

I use cork coasters when I want chunkier bits and thought the edges would make nice steps.

• Like 6