HFA004 Kat - Szalamandra Pilot version

Willen

Hi there!

This is Kat, from Hasslefree Miniatures. 

My intention for her is to use her as the pilot of a TAG, a powered armour combat mecha for the Game Infinity.

This is my rendition of the Szalamandra TAG (WIP but 90% there):

20150411_173137.jpg

So color scheme is defined as Black, White and Red (the three easiest colors to paint).

As a break from painting so much armor, I started with her face and skin. I am for once happy with the closeup! I also tried to push myself here, as always, to do some research, chose my paints, and do a good paintjob:

20150411_193807.jpg

• Like 14

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I did the hair in a two-tone mode (light blonde-ivory on top, turquoise on the bottom). It looks much more vibrant in hand than in the cellphone pics.

I also started sketching the warm ivory-white on the boots and corset.

20150412_172856.jpg

20150412_172904.jpg

20150412_165904.jpg

• Like 15

Are you going for a more Anime vibe or realism with your infinity models? I think she's a fun sculpt but like most Hasslefree minis not a lot of sculpted detail.

I'd think some darker shadows in her hair will make it pop, it doesn't have enough sculptural interest (her hair) to stand without spiking it up.

I'm just trying to prognosticate where your going, face looks great.

Loth

• Like 1

Are you going for a more Anime vibe or realism with your infinity models? I think she's a fun sculpt but like most Hasslefree minis not a lot of sculpted detail.

I'd think some darker shadows in her hair will make it pop, it doesn't have enough sculptural interest (her hair) to stand without spiking it up.

I'm just trying to prognosticate where your going, face looks great.

Loth

Nice question. Well... both. Infinity is an "anime" feel game. I like the colors too. But as you can see from the TAG, I lean towards the realistic side. 

Hair is incredibly flat. Most of her is. Strengths of HF minis for me are the strong poses, and I love how powerful women are sculpted. She is full of character, and her posing is awesome.

I could go darker... I had a darker blue in the palette that went mixed into the crevices. TBH I don't feel darker is the way there, what I could do to add more detail is "draw" hair with the colors, making faux shadows and lights (some of that is already going on there). But the wife loved her so much that has just told me I CANNOT touch her hair anymore  :down:  Apparently, I need to work on my "editing", whatever Poryect Runway says that is.

Main problem right know for me is figuring out where to add the red... and logos. I have ideas, but if you guys have thoughts to share, I am all ears.

• Like 2

The TAG work is great, it feels realistic anime so that's why I was asking.

I agree about that pose being strong and dynamic, it's a great choice for what your doing. The sculpt doesn't get in the way of your painting. She rocks!

The only thing I would do to add shadows anime style to the hair is some red wash in the under hair. And in really thin lines. But if the wife says don't touch anymore, then step away from the mini, lol.

As far as the red bits, I'd do a crescent moon down both of her legs, points facing forward, top starting at hip, bottom at knee. Like how they do the American Football pants. Also I'd do it down the split in the front of her corset, leaving the rest grey. And one large Nomads patch over one shoulder. Heck you could make the symbol go over her shoulder from front to back, but it should be on the same shoulder as the TAG's.

Loth

Edited by Loth
  • Like 1

I might squeeze some extra details on the hair at some point, but at this stage I am thinking more about leaving it be until more of the mini is painted. Then I can evaluate, if I get too intrincate on tiny freehand it might require extra detail so it does not look bland, or color contrast should be enough (it will be, basically, a touch of cool colors in a warm mini).

I like your ideas (the corset line was in my mind too). Nomad patch on the left shoulder as the TAG, gottcha, didn't think of that but makes sense.

I cannot find examples of what you are talking about the pants, perhaps I do not know what you are talking about? We do not watch American football here so I am out of the current dressing trends for them LOL.

Something like this?

Best_Quality_American_football_pant.jpg_

• Like 1

I agree about waiting to add more details on the hair until the rest is painted, you want your detail to be consistent through the model.

Re: football pants - Google broncos images, there should be a couple pics that show what I mean, I'm on my tablet and haven't figured out how to copy/paste a link, lol. But like the image you posted, there are a ton of variations out there now. I think something aggressive down the outside of the thighs, not stripes, but something with a point/points that taper at the end.

Or maybe small salamander tracks down her left leg. It's quite a fun mini and there's a ton of good things you can do with it.

Loth

• Like 1

I appreciate the vote on confidence, and found what you were talking about on those pants.

I like the idea, I will see how to integrate it. Right now her left leg is the biggest area to fit a Szalamandra Squadron logo, so I am trying to make it work. 

I am thinking about fading red hexagon outlines towards the wrist on the arm sleeves... thoughts?

• Like 1

Hexagons would be cool; filled or outlines? That has a real Infinity vibe.

Loth

Outlines. Dark red blending to black at the elbow area, going up to fiery orange on the wrist. Drawing hexagon outlines is incredibly easy once you figure it out:

20141111_200206.jpg

• Like 5