Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Where would you look for tiny ships and boats?

Do people know of lines of very small (two or three inches, max) model ships and boats for tabletop combat? Or have favorites?

This isn't urgent, more of a "it would be nice" sort of thing. There's a game coming up likely to involve combat at sea, and actual little ships could help.

We can, of course, use Star Trek Battles and X-Wing ships. Or dice, for that matter.

But actual little ships would be fun.

They don't have to be perfectly historic; fantasy or steampunk ships are okay too.

Bonus points to anyone who knows where I can find a little paddlewheel steamship.

Distopian Wars has a fairly large selection of small scale ships available; I'm not certain of prices, though.

• Like 2

FRP Games has some that will work. I got them for use in my upcoming campaign. They are by Valiant and searching for Fighting Sail 1/2000th should get you what you need.

• Like 1

The folks (Ares Games now) that make Wings of Glory also make a Napoleonic ship version (Sails of Glory).  Would those work for some of the ships?

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 1

You could always try Renaissance Miniatures.  Then have several boats and ships made from laser cut MDF...

• Like 1

Broadly what period are you looking for?

The answers will be different for galleys than for Napoleonic ships of the line, WWI or WWII, or moderns. And of course fantasy/sf ships tend to come from different companies than do historicals.

• Like 2

Portsmouth Miniatures has 1/900 Napoleonic era sailing ships. Thoroughbred miniatures has some 1/600 scale american civil war era ships... including a riverboat transport and a rear wheeled steamboat. And if you want to go with oddness... look at old GW Man o War. Prolly have to go to evilbay for the man o war though.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Pirates of the Spanish Main is still my go-to for ships (although I also invested in a box of Dreadfleet when I was able to get it at a significant discount).  Much later in their series, they seemed to be straining to come up with something new, so there were some "mega" models released, including a paddle-wheel boat (of the sort with paddle wheels on the sides supplementing sails, rather than the "river boat" paddle-wheel-only sort), but the trouble is that as the line progressed, the color schemes started to look more and more akin to Hot Wheels, with garish Photoshoppery rather than anything remotely plausible as adorning an honest-to-goodness period ship (even allowing for a generous amount of fantasy).

You might look around for Dystopian Wars from Spartan Games: resin-cast ships (and other vehicles, most anachronistic) in a sort of crazy steampunk/dieselpunk setting.  I've seen some online sellers put the Dystopian Wars ships in clearance, so the pickings might be slim by now, if anyone even still carries them.  Spartan Games also put out a fantasy-focused line of sailing ships, called "Uncharted Seas."

• Like 2

Wizkids made a collectible Pirates Constructible Strategy game that came in packs like CCG cards that you assemble.  There were a pile of them around here for a while when we were gaming, and the person took them with him.  Got them straight out of the bargain bin for like 10 cents a pack.  If you can find a stash of those for cheap, it'd be just what you need I think. 

• Like 3

Distopian Wars has a fairly large selection of small scale ships available; I'm not certain of prices, though.

Best ships ever.

• Like 2

FRP Games has some that will work. I got them for use in my upcoming campaign. They are by Valiant and searching for Fighting Sail 1/2000th should get you what you need.

Valiant also sells another line called "Spanish Main" which is 1/1200 scale.  Still pretty small, though it looks like the larger ships are over an inch in length.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DocPiske
      Looks interesting for the terrain, if not the miniatures. Two armies package includes two 20"x20" fortresses for less than $100.

There are a couple of things that give me pause, though. First time creator, and claims to be in Chicago but English is clearly not his first language. May not mean anything but makes me wonder.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crumb-group/eternal-eight

"After over three years in the making, we are proud to present you the Eternal Eight - a WORLD'S FIRST 3D mini war game with innovative real 3D RELIEF. 
      The goal of the game is to  capture the enemy’s King. The advantages of Eternal Eight are the 3D castles, fortresses and villages with a myriad of traps, labyrinths and  secret passages. All of the army bases (castles, villages, fortresses) are easy to assemble and move around.
      The game can be easily incorporated into your existing game table setup or provide a great addon to some of your existing mini war games."

• By Glitterwolf
      I always wanted to paint a Cronosaurus so when Antimatter Games offered on through a Kickstarter I took it.
      In hindsight I regret getting the FDM printed version, I should have gone for the resin one since you can clearly see the printlines on this one.
      On the other hand it was a good deal and it helped me to choose what kind of printer I wanted.
      This came preprinted

Part of my Lost World Project.
      WIP Here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/page/164/#comments

Hope you enjoy the beastie.

• By MoonglowMinis
      So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat.  It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles.  I need a fully functioning 3D boat!  Well, maybe not fully functioning.  But I want to build a cool boat!

I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now.  It's my White Whale project.  Always just on the horizon.  It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase.  One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.

I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies.  I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships.  So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks.  And the result wasn't  bad.  Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.

It actually turned out rather nice!  To my surprise.  But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.

The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.

and the figurehead was designed to be modular.

However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches.  I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did.  And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.

Here's the little devil himself.

Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in.  Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting.  I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site.  The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled. 

There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.

My hold up now is still those darn masts.  The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts.  The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts.  I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition.  And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails.  Any thoughts?

Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome!  I'll post back here with any updates.

• By SparrowMarie
      So my Husband needs a boat for his 4E campaign. It unfortunately cannot wait until Bones 5 delivers so I bought a paper craft boat from World Works Games. It's called The Maiden. It's HUGE. Photo from the website in spoiler. In the photo you can see a few minis placed on it for scale. 

Like I said HUGE. I've done some other paper craft boats before but nothing like this. I'll be using foamcore for the base of the decks but the rest of it is card stock, transparency paper, and Uhu glue(the glue stick not the liquid-y stuff). I'm not yet sure which figurehead and props I will be using. I may just make them all and let Husband decide what he wants/needs after that.

Thankfully, this thing comes with pretty detailed instructions so it shouldn't be...not sure hard is the word I want but it's the one I'm going to use. So it shouldn't be hard, it's just up to my skill to cut, glue, and (most importantly) follow directions. It will take lots of time though I am sure of that. 
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 3 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)