Ebonwrath. Trying to work on painting black.

I started working on Ebonwrath and I've been trying to improve my blacks. Here's my latest attempt. 

post-13660-0-81205700-1428958158_thumb.jpg

post-13660-0-23050700-1428958160_thumb.jpg

post-13660-0-12561900-1428958161_thumb.jpg

The main colors used to highlight were P3 Cryx Bane Base, P3 Thornwood Green, and P3 Cryx Bane Highlight, as well as using a soft black wash to keep it as black and not like, brownish green. 

I used a lot of lighting to try and show off what I did because the highlights are pretty dark and subtle (really wish I had a better lighting setup. One day.) 

My biggest question is does it "read" as black? 

• Like 6

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest question is does it "read" as black? 

In the photos it reads as dark gray to me. I think this to be accurate, since when compared to the bottle of black paint, the paint reads as black.

I think you need narrower highlights and a darker midtone (much closer to your shadow color) for the figure to read as black.

I do like quite a bit of the detail work you've done.

Black is a colour best accomplished through illusion. Because when you get down to it, even more than other colours, highlighting and shading black is actually creating light sourcing.

Using dark purples, blues and greens followed by stark highlights can help negate the milking out using greys can cause and replicate light reflecting of a smooth black surface.

And you have to even be mindful of how matt or gloss the paints themselves are, the undercoats you are going over, how you'll be sealing the mini and even how the lighting for any photographs will be done.

This thread now has me planning an experiment with this very dark purple. (the black next to is shows how dark that purple is.) Multiple light levels to show how those matter with darker colours,

purp_zpsdmxjd08r.jpg

• Like 1

Looks black to me.

As for the light source when taking photos. Try putting a sheet of tissue, if possible over your light, that will diffuse the light (and dim it a little). Or point it away from your work and shine it on a white surface like a wall or sheet of plain paper. I've been planning on doing the same when i take my pics for showing.

Joe