Sign in to follow this  
Ted Kord

Bones KSII Male Barbarian

Thanks.  I got the first Reaper paint caddie 9001-9111 so am experimenting with the different flesh triads on minis I don't care so much about before tackling some of the really scantly clad female minis that came in bones.  (the elven dryad, Alastriel, succubus from dark lord add-on) 

That looks super!

If you're open to mild criticism, the only thing that I'd suggest is to thin your layers a bit more.  The transition between the colors is quite stark, and if you thin the paint a bit more they will blend together much more nicely.  It's more obvious on his back than anywhere else.  You might need to do 2-3 passes, but the result is that you won't be able to see where one color stops and the next begins (or at least it will be less apparent). 

I'm guilty of this myself; most times I just want to finish a mini and can't be bothered.  Most times you can't even tell until you have a camera pointed at it.

Regardless, this guy looks great and is certainly worthy of being shown off.  Bulging muscles abound.

• Like 1

Looks good! I'd like to see him properly based as any good barbarian needs a cool bit of ground to stand on as he wades into his enemies.

That looks super!

If you're open to mild criticism, the only thing that I'd suggest is to thin your layers a bit more.  The transition between the colors is quite stark, and if you thin the paint a bit more they will blend together much more nicely.  It's more obvious on his back than anywhere else.  You might need to do 2-3 passes, but the result is that you won't be able to see where one color stops and the next begins (or at least it will be less apparent). 

I'm guilty of this myself; most times I just want to finish a mini and can't be bothered.  Most times you can't even tell until you have a camera pointed at it.

Regardless, this guy looks great and is certainly worthy of being shown off.  Bulging muscles abound.

You are right.  I would normally water my paints more but I didn't think this one through much, just sort of cranked it out.  Changed the loin cloth from green to red halfway through and did the helmet in bone and it looked awful so painted over in silver making a detail-less mess of it.  If I had taken my time I'd have done a lot of things with thinner paints.

I also would have looked at an example of what the musculature on a back looks like instead of guesstimating.  Had I known it would turn out as good as it did I would have taken the time and done it all more carefully.

Edited by Ted Kord

Looks nice. 

This is one of the few figures of the KS that, at first glance, disappointed me the most. That back looks like a shapeless bump... you are saying there is hope? Or what you did basically was drawing the muscles in? 

• Like 1

Well Done !

Like the balance of color you did on that flesh tone !

Thanks!  I in no way did it to correct any short comings of this mini.  It was perfect and completely anatomically correct.  Please do not ban me o' great reaper forum moderator.  I promise never to criticize another reaper mini.

Edited by Ted Kord