Heleria Drakenfeld Toughest Girls in the Galaxy

Werkrobotwerk

I am not entirely happy with the way this one turned out, but she is done since I sort of ran out of time. Oops! Anyway this is the second of 4 Toughest Girls in the Galaxy I painted for a friend.

2015-04-14%2020.33.20_zpsy3cv4ucm.jpg

2015-04-14%2020.36.31_zpsvrmxh0mw.jpg

2015-04-14%2020.35.46_zpsff1tku41.jpg

Kind of looks to me like she is constantly caught in the act of over estimating the combat utility of a mass produced big Zam.

• Like 21

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you are doing here,

but I think that you need to dilute your color and build up to the color you want.

Nice brush control, and highlighting on the hair.

I think you are doing magnificently, just build up your colors..

The base needs to be blackened to cover over the colors on the edges !

(In my honest and humble opinion).

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 3

I like what you are doing here,

but I think that you need to dilute your color and build up to the color you want.

Nice brush control, and highlighting on the hair.

I think you are doing magnificently, just build up your colors..

The base needs to be blackened to cover over the colors on the edges !

(In my honest and humble opinion).

I do not disagree.

Part of what happened here is a matter of color choices being made that matched up multiple things I have trouble with. There were earlier drafts that had darker skin, and a much lighter cloak. The cloak kind of got darkened down to its current maroon color scheme because the original was causing problems with the yellow edging. It started out as reaper fire red, and then got darkened down with a maroon glaze, which unfortunately did not go on as evenly as I had hoped which killed the existing highlights. so I got stuck trying to paint back in the highlights on top of the previous layer.

The face on the other hand started off as a wash of dark shadow, and then wet shading in tan shadow/tan skin/tan highlight. which looked nice, but was far too close to the hair color for what my friend had wanted. so I ended up trying to lighten up the skin by using fair skin/fair highlight. Which didn't look bad at table height but kind of left her with a bad case of raccoon eyes. and in trying to fix that I brightened up the face too far which left it with its current look.

Then I ran out of time.

• Like 1

Gosh did YOUR commentary bring back a lot of memories !

You got bit by the "its for someone else monster"... nasty bites they are!

That is now one of those situations I avoid at all cost.

I just paint them as I call them, if its for someone else, "you gets what I paints".

Keep up the good work !

• Like 2

I shade red with dark green glazes. It will read as much darker, using color theory is fun!

Interesting, I've used a dark green to line red before, but I've never tried using a glaze of it on red. I would have thought it would get too muddy before getting dark.

VERY thin glazes in the darkest shadowed areas look really good. The same goes in reverse with shading green with dark red glazes. 

• Like 1