Fishnjeeps Dragons Don't Share Epic Diorama...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what an awesomely epic concept. I love the idea of the Kragmarr guards pulling on chains. I know you want to use the tabletop as your display board, but I'm worried it's too big and you'll lose the tension of the scene due to the empty space between models. Based upon your initial positioning, I think it would be even better if you could chop off about 4-6 inches from each side.

• Like 5

Wow, what an awesomely epic concept. I love the idea of the Kragmarr guards pulling on chains. I know you want to use the tabletop as your display board, but I'm worried it's too big and you'll lose the tension of the scene due to the empty space between models. Based upon your initial positioning, I think it would be even better if you could chop off about 4-6 inches from each side.

Agreed. That's an epically large space, indeed. Which has its own Moria-like charm, size-wise. But I think it does lessen the tension of the scene.

• Like 1

To be honest, I thought those were condoms in the second picture and I was immediately baffled by where this diorama might be headed...  :lol:

I look forward to seeing how this turns out!  I think the dragon's pose lends itself well to a "chained" effect.

Well, I'm from the land of Ghirardelli (they used to take us there for field trips as kids), so I recognized them right away!

see, Fishnjeeps... Bruunwald's on your side. These other guys are just creeps.  :devil:

• Like 1

Lol... I would never, this being family freindly and all....

Today I will be getting a sheet of 3/4" Extruded foamboard to elevate the scene off of the tabletop. I'm thinking for some of the scenery elements I might add a cliff behind the dragon with a waterfall. (i've always wanted to model a waterfall.)

Also I ordered the crossbow wielding dwarves! I've started with these:

03371 Brock Battlebow, Dwarf Ranger

03236 Bonagur, Dwarf Crossbowman

14325 Nogrin, Dwarf Adept

14130 Snorri, Dwarf Solo

06014 Dwarven Crossbowmen (4)

Hoefully, this will be enough crossbowmen for the scene as I'll have to double up on some if I need more. 

• Like 3

Lol... I would never, this being family freindly and all....

Hey, there's nothing inappropriate about being safe!  ^_^

Are you planning to keep the diorama fairly "clean", or include signs of battle (and perhaps scorch marks) as a result of the attempts to subdue the dragon?

I haven't decided quite yet. I do have plans to add some dead adventurers to show this may not be the first time this dragon has been attacked. But I'm not sure that I'm going to do a red dragon either so scorch marks my not be appropriate. However if I do a red, then I'll more than likely add the devastation found mid attack. Still have a lot of mini's left to purchase for this as well as other tools and supplies. If I can get my airbrush working again then I may be able to do a bit of airbrushing to speed along some of this work I'm getting myself into...

Right! Not much to see here, but I did get an order of crossbowmen so I have some pics of those. I also got a sheet of pink foam for the base but I need to go buy a new hot knife. The one I have is broken. I placed another order for some foot troops to start the army out with. I'll see if I can convince the Mrs. to go to hobby lobby with me tonight so I can get the hot knife and start cutting out the base and waterfall parts. Once I have a foam base down, I can start pinning each dwarf to fit the base. i won't be using the plastic or broccoli bases you currently see. 

For the dragon, i'm thinking of doing a green or blue dragon. Still not 100% sure on that though. I still have some time to decide...

0429152344_zpsue7ypjjz.jpg

0429152344a_zpszwd0ikie.jpg

0429152344b_zpsym7alm0t.jpg

0429152344c_zpsoevlsvgw.jpg

Minis Used so far...

77381: Dragons Don't Share - 2014 Edition (Dragon, Terrain, and Dwarf only)

14596: Kragmarr Guard (x6)

02376: Brag Ironballs

14379: Dwarven Shieldmaiden

14607: Kragmarr Ram Rider

03236: Bonagur, Dwarf Crossbowman

03371: Brock Battlebow, Dwarf Ranger

06014: Dwarven Crossbowmen (4)

14130: Snorri, Dwarf Solo

14325: Nogrin, Dwarf Adept

• Like 4

This looks incredible! Such a cool idea.

For the dragon, I would definitely plan for a brighter color, I would probably go with either red or green...with the waterfall backdrop, you want to be sure the dragon pops against the scenery. If you use red, I would make your stone and ground a cool grey; if you go green, think red sandstone or pink granite for the surrounding stone and ground. Personally, I like the reddish stone, as your dwarves are likely to have a lot of cooler metallics, so the warmer ground will help them pop as well.

I'm looking forward to whatever you do! So cool!

• Like 3