Fishnjeeps Dragons Don't Share Epic Diorama...

I got a chance to get a little more progress on this monster. As neither of my 2 orders from reaper have arrived with Dwarven reinforcements, I decided I should begin dome of the modifications that need to happen. Mainly, The Kragmarr Guard need to be disarmed so that chains/rope may be used instead of spears. This is by far the biggest modification I've ever had to do to a mini and I was slightly apprehensive about my skills (or lack thereof)  so I thought it best to begin here. Just in case. I was able to get a pen tool extension thingie for my dremel which has helped. 

Here are some pics of the new toys and some progress on the Dwarf mods.

Here is the new dremel attachment and my makeshift dremel hanger. 

0504152140a_zpsmunowlux.jpg

And a shot of the "high quality" labeling on my Games and gears hobby cutters. The tool is great, but the sticker has since been removed.

0504152140b_zpswh9vedjo.jpg

And overview of the demolition tools used. Not shown is my jewelers saw.

0504152140_zps6wc7o2vh.jpg

So after many hours of working at removing the handle against the chest of this dwarf, This was where I was at. Basically removed. I will have to add some beard back on these guys. Took far too long to find the best bit to use on my dremel...

0504152147_zpsmqwizinl.jpg

Or will I... I'm not sure this is the best way to do this. I used my hobby knife to score beard lines into the metal after smoothing it out with my diamond files. Any thoughts by others is greatly appreciated. I may cut a bit deeper and use green stuff for the beard...

0504152219_zpsgdidplvj.jpg

So there is actual progress! No new figures added yet but there are more on the way! Also, next update will have some color to it...

• Like 5

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2 and something completely new has been accomplished! My wife was glad to get rid of her foam hot knives so I grabbed them. Unfortunately one was broken and had to be replaced. I also got a new needle and tip for my airbrush in preperation for painting all of this. At this stage I cut 4 pieces of pink foam to make the base slightly smaller. I still need to rough in the waterfall in the back but I should be able to get that done this week. Here's some more pics of the progress...

Tools

0505151852_zps11m5a3s6.jpg

4 rough cut levels...

0505151904_zpslsu8zlfm.jpg

Double sided tape for temporary hold. I'll use glue later.

0505151905_zpsopbc9xij.jpg

A look at how much reveal from my display board

0505151917_zpshgkgerrd.jpg

The lone dwarf...

0505151949_zpstvj2no4c.jpg

Rough Ideas...

0505151952_zpspyhiy8xm.jpg

• Like 5

so .. are you going to be gouging out the foam to make a valley?  If no then I am curious as to why you have such a thick layer under the main display.

Yes that is part of the plan. I started with the outside edge so that all layers were similar on the outside edges. I'll be adjusting the rocky texture of the outside  edges and trimming out the river valley. I may not end up needing all 4 layers though. I'll see how the river looks only 1 layer deep and go from there. Some of the building elements may be placed on a "riser" but that is all part of the work I plan to do this week. Those aren't yet glued down either. I have a special way of holding this down that I'll be showing "SOON"...

• Like 3

Reinforcements!!!!

I got one of my many orders today for this and the infantry have arrived! Also, a possible leader figure as well. Not much else has been done as we are getting ready to host mothers day this weekend so I've been busy cleaning the house. Here's some pics of the reinforcements and where I was thinking they should go. 

0507152133_zpsiwqsxddo.jpg

0507152133a_zps6k6zsahf.jpg

0507152133b_zpsthybzoqs.jpg

0507152134_zps8hxtvtm4.jpg

Minis Used so far...

77381: Dragons Don't Share - 2014 Edition (Dragon, Terrain, and Dwarf only)

14596: Kragmarr Guard (x6)

02376: Brag Ironballs

14379: Dwarven Shieldmaiden

14607: Kragmarr Ram Rider

03236: Bonagur, Dwarf Crossbowman

03371: Brock Battlebow, Dwarf Ranger

06014: Dwarven Crossbowmen (4)

14130: Snorri, Dwarf Solo

14325: Nogrin, Dwarf Adept

06113: Halberdiers, Dwarf Grunt (9)

03275: Barnabas Ironbrace 

• Like 5

Another day of progress! And some more reinforcements have arrived! Having finally dialed in my coversion for the chain gang dwarves, I finished removing the spear hafts from their hands and did some cleanup of the cuts and the mold lines. I still need to remove bases and pin them but I have to find my electric drill as my wrist can't handle using the pin vise to drill out the 18 holes I need drilled. 

Also, some preliminary terrain carving has taken place! The river/creek has been established as has some elevation differnces and some bridges were roughed out. I see a couple places where my terrain needs some adjustment but this is just a preliminary step. and I still have half a sheet of foam in case I need to redo anything. 

And finally, we add a medic group to the diorama in the form of dwarf forgemaidens. I have to remove their weapons and adjust their arms to look like they are carrying a dead/injured dwarf. I want to use the round building in front as a hopital area as the inside can be viewed from the front of the Dio. 

Onward to the pics!

The new recruits! I double ordered Mr. Ironbrace. and Wait, what are you doing there Reapercon Sophie? This isn't your diorama!

0512152019_zpsamvgaupc.jpg

Wasn't there 7 dwarves? No matter, they all have their weapons fully removed! Just need to fix their beards...

0512152040_zpsbkqz1pk2.jpg

An overview of the rough terrain layout. Some adjusting to be done soon...

0512152125_zps0pt2sqx5.jpg

0512152125a_zpscfuerh1o.jpg

0512152125b_zpskgwg3wlh.jpg

0512152126_zpskeolfnst.jpg

"Get into the hospital! There's a Dragon running about!"

0512152126a_zpsyriejy1i.jpg

0512152126b_zpslox2vgrd.jpg

Minis Used so far...

77381: Dragons Don't Share - 2014 Edition (Dragon, Terrain, and Dwarf only)

14596: Kragmarr Guard (x6)

02376: Brag Ironballs

14379: Dwarven Shieldmaiden

14607: Kragmarr Ram Rider

03236: Bonagur, Dwarf Crossbowman

03371: Brock Battlebow, Dwarf Ranger

06014: Dwarven Crossbowmen (4)

14130: Snorri, Dwarf Solo

14325: Nogrin, Dwarf Adept

06113: Halberdiers, Dwarf Grunt (9)

03275: Barnabas Ironbrace 

14524: Valana, Forgemaiden Sergeant

14518: Dwarf Forgemaiden (2)

Edited by fishnjeeps
  • Like 8

On 9/2/2017 at 4:15 PM, eldamir said:

Found this thread today ... It looks amazing, but where's the rest of the build?!?!?!!?

Sorry, Its on hold while I move. Also, Mrs. Fishnjeeps used the foam for another project so I will have to redo the terrain once I do get back to it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It is a shame about the move & the repurposing of the terrain. Your project is WONDERFULLY inspiring. You have me looking at my Harlequin Dwarfs & rethinking their role in miniature life.

GOOD LUCK with the move. I will look forward to you returning to your epic project.