Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Giving in to your geek side

Honestly I'm not quite sure what you are speaking to. Are you talking something along the lines of an appearance by a celebrity at a convention and the horde of people that might just come for that?

Honestly I'm not quite sure what you are speaking to. Are you talking something along the lines of an appearance by a celebrity at a convention and the horde of people that might just come for that?

Nope, I'm talking about the fan reactions.

I go to a lot of conventions. Gaming conventions, Sci-Fi conventions, horror conventions, and endless, endless, endless anime conventions.

There are a lot of things the people do there that get on my nerves. But then, there are a lot of things people driving down the street, shopping at the supermarket, standing in line at the FLGS, sending me emails at work, and on and on, do to get on my nerves, too.

If you are asking whether I find enthusiastic fan behavior at fan events annoying, yeah, sometimes I do. But if you are asking whether I find enthusiastic fan behavior at fan events to be inappropriate, no; I believe that at these sorts of events is where you should not only expect this to happen, but it is exactly where it should be happening.

We're all fans-of, and nerds-for, something. We all get excited over something or other. Let's not be snobs about it when it's somebody else's turn.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 7

It's the reactions I'm getting at here, is it acceptable for people to be so far gone into geekdom that this kind of reaction is acceptable to civil society.

It's just a guy announcing what superhero films are coming up and a baying mob of six year olds

Bruunwald- you've hit the issue on the head for me, it does get on my nerves to the point where being seen with such people would stop me going to a similar event. But it also gets on my nerves that I can't help but feel snobbish about it

Bruunwald- you've hit the issue on the head for me, it does get on my nerves to the point where being seen with such people would stop me going to a similar event. But it also gets on my nerves that I can't help but feel snobbish about it

So... I'm guessing you don't want me to post the pic of me and Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) from a couple of weeks ago here then... :down:

• Like 4

So... I'm guessing you don't want me to post the pic of me and Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) from a couple of weeks ago here then... :down:

I think you misunderstand me. I'm all for people being fans of things, for wanting photos with Carrie Fisher (I feel slightly disturbed by the fact that you felt the need to explain who she was). Photos with Carrie Fisher are cool, what isn't cool is this:

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, that guy said Captain Colonials gonna have a different shield design in the next movie. Wooooooohooooooooooo! Yeah! I can't f********* believe how awesome this is. Yeah! Awesome! Yeah!"

Nope, I'm talking about the fan reactions.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a clip, that didn't show up at work.

(I feel slightly disturbed by the fact that you felt the need to explain who she was)

That comes from sharing photos from the con with some of my coworkers and getting a blank look and a "Who?" when I mentioned Carrie Fisher.

It's gotten too hip to be unhip. Remember the real world.

Reactions that are the geeky equivalent of frat boys' lighting the campus on fire after their school wins a championship need to be dialed back, yes.