scuffed miniatures

Cole

I just started painting bones miniatures. I got a starter kit from my boyfriend. It said I didn't need to prime or seal the miniatures, and didn't come with either. I took them to a DND game last night and now I have lots of scufffed edges. I'm wondering what the issue is, lack of primer, the way I painted, sealer, or if we just werent handling them carefully enough. Any tips?

post-14041-0-50619500-1429460638_thumb.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brush on sealers are good, but most tend to leave a shiny glossy coat. Either seek out a good matte sealer, or use a matte spray on clear coated glossy minis.

Or exult in your shiny indestructible minis.

• Like 1

It sounds like most people use spray sealer, is the brush on type not as good? I'm not very good with spray cans...

I use both.

Brush on is actually thicker and will protect better, but most are glossy or semi gloss. So I'll do brush on and then when it's dry I'll take it outside and hit it with some spray dull cote (matte) to take down the shine and add more protection.

• Like 1

The shiny is pretty indestructible.

I think that the desire for a matte finish is a current fashion influenced by the needs of photography. There's nothing inherently wrong with a shiny finish.

Getting back to the OP's question, acrylic paints take at least a day to fully dry and can be a little fragile the first few days.

• Like 6

The shiny is pretty indestructible.

I think that the desire for a matte finish is a current fashion influenced by the needs of photography. There's nothing inherently wrong with a shiny finish.

Getting back to the OP's question, acrylic paints take at least a day to fully dry and can be a little fragile the first few days.

Well, yes and no. The desire for a matte finish is more of an American thing, in the UK the glossy finish is far more common. Americans have been working towards matte finishes since the 80s.

I personally like finishes to reflect the surface they're supposed to be. So no gloss finish for skin unless they're coming out of water or something.

• Like 2

What ub3r said, up there. The glossy finishes tend to be thick, and it takes a bit of care to keep them from clogging detail or bubbles from solidifying in them. Not HARD to do, but watch for it. And then I use matte spray coat to make the gloss disappear. If you do it right, you can barely tell there's a clear coat at ALL, but with Bones, you can durn near baseball bat 'em over the fence without chipping or scuffing, once that coat hardens.

I have heard what Heisler sez, but know few Brits to ask about it. I just like the matte coats because it looks like they're not coated at ALL, but you avoid the scuffing the OP was complaining about.

• Like 2

You said you "took them to a D&D game." How did you transport them? Note that wrapping them in tissue or wrapping paper like you might a piece of glass artwork, will result in rubbing off of paint.

As will transporting them in a cardboard box with no foam, or a paper sack, or some cloth sacks, depending on their weave.

All of those things are abrasive, so you might try an alternative. And, as mentioned over and over, seal. Seal, seal, seal.

• Like 1

I sealed mine with brush on sealer and then a spray coat of matt finish.  I transport them to game night in the same small tin I use for my dice and I have zero paint rubbing off.  If it was going to rub off it would have by now.  I have been doing this for my current character figs for about a year and I am never gentle with them!

• Like 3