Shaking Bottles of Paint

At the risk of sounding unforgivably lazy:

Does there exist any sort of "mechanical helper" for thoroughly shaking up dropper bottles of paint?  I have split shot in my bottles, but I'm talking about something like that vibration thing they have at the home improvement stores for quickly agitating gallons of housepaint.  When I'm sitting there shake-shake-shaking for a minute or more, I can't help but think how nice it would be if there were some sort of device I could tuck 4 or 5 bottles at a time into and get them all nicely agitated at one go.

Am I dreaming the impossible dream?   :;):

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine made a paint shaker using a electrical knife she found at a Goodwill store. I'll see if she'll give me the instructions for it.

There is also the Robart paint shaker you can buy. The bottle straps to holder & a gyro-motor moves rapidly shaking the paint. Look it up using google.

• Artists

Micromark sells a paint shaker. If you buy it, go ahead and just order some extra elastic straps, they definitely do break.

I've heard of people storing paints on their washers to help keep them shaken up.

• Like 5

Find a place that sells used laboratory supplies.  Get a vortex mixer.  Agitate 5 MSP bottles at a time with the proper insert.  A new one will cost you $350.  You can find used ones for $50-$75 no problem.  If you're at all mechanically inclined, you can find non-operational ones and repair them.

eBay is a good place.  You can also talk to a local college and see if they have any old ones lying around.  

I like it because you can just turn it on and do something else while the paints agitate.

I also keep most of my paints in a case, and will store it on top of the washing machine.  Front loaders work best because you don't get in the way of operating the machine.  Every spin cycle is a period of agitation to keep your paints mixed.

Another thumbs up for the vortex mixer.  I got it off eBay and it was well worth the money spent.

I can't put the paint on the washing machine.  That happens to be the spot where the cat food dish is so that the dog doesn't get to it!

• Like 2

Here's a thread about a gadget you can buy that will shake one at a time.  It looks reasonably robust.

ProShaker - (used as a) Miniature/Hobby Paint Mixer

I don't have a vortex mixer, but I do have a car polisher.  It vibrates pretty well, and I just had to insert the bottles under the polishing bonnet.  I once used a sander to do something similar, but it was not ideal and would've required extra work to make the process less of a pain.  The polisher was much easier, if not quite as aggressive. 

You can also use an electric mixer to shake paint. One of the hand held models. Just strap your paint to the blades and squeeze the trigger. The guy I saw that did this put his down inside a plastic tub while shaking it so that if it accidentally flies out it won't break anything.

Only problem I see there is having a cat :poke:

Not my decision.  And the Golden Retriever likes him a lot as well.  So he stays.

He is a good cat, very confident and friendly.  And he has NEVER knocked anything off my painting area (well since we got him last fall).  So he knows how to keep his happy home with me at least.

• Like 2

• Artists

Find a place that sells used laboratory supplies.  Get a vortex mixer.  Agitate 5 MSP bottles at a time with the proper insert.  A new one will cost you $350.  You can find used ones for $50-$75 no problem.  If you're at all mechanically inclined, you can find non-operational ones and repair them.

eBay is a good place.  You can also talk to a local college and see if they have any old ones lying around.  

I like it because you can just turn it on and do something else while the paints agitate.

How does one know what the correct insert is?

Give me a second.

The default vortex mixer comes with a rubber pad.  You just hold the paint bottle against the pad and let it run.  But I like hands free.

Get one with the recessed platform and a foam insert for 14-29 mm tubes.  The MSP bottles fit in nice and tight.

You can actually fit 8 bottles in the insert.  4 upright in the large hole.  4 upside down in the smaller holes.

If you go to the Scientific American website, you will see how expensive they all are, and why you want to get them used.

I prefer the Vortex Genie 2, because it has variable speed.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 2