Mounted figures - paint separately or on their mounts

72moonglum

So, I may or may not be soon embarking on painting some mounted figures, but really never have and wondering upon the opinions of this all so wise group of knowledge.  When you paint a mounted figure, do you paint the mount and rider separately or do you attach the rider and then paint them both together? I've got some little goblins with some wolves I need to do, but the questions is attach and paint, or paint and attach?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way will work.

I prefer to paint them separately as I find is easier. I don't have to keep cleaning up lines between both creatures. And I don't have to worry about getting into the gaps between the rider and mount. Depending on the mount, it can be really hard to reach parts of the rider when the rider is attached. Just don't forget to dry fit them together or you may finish painting them only to find out you wanted to use pins or need to bend the legs. (Have I done this? Yes I have.  :down: )

I have a goblin on a goblin dog I plan to paint soon, that I may paint attached. Reasons for this is that there are reins that go up the hand, but they don't fit quite right, so I'm going to be trying to green stuff some reins. And goblin looks odd on his saddle, so I'm probably going to use some paste to make his butt look like he is actually seated. It will be a pain (for me at least) to manage to fix both of those and take it back apart, so I will probably do it attached unless I'm lazy and decide I don't care about those two details. Anyway, point is, it depends.

• Like 1

I usually paint them separate.  Pin goes up the riders backside and a hole goes into the mounts saddle/back/etc.  Paint and seal them completely separate.  Being able to remove the rider can be handy at times.  Plus, then I have a spare horse to use as well.  If the rider's legs are part of the horse sculpt, I will usually attach it, because that just looks silly.

• Like 2

Thanks all, I think I'll try them separately then super duper glue them together. The goblins are some goblin-imps from the old Partha line, so they're really small and there might be hard to reach spots if I glue first, paint later.. What I'll probably due though is put them farther down my painting queue so I don't have to worry about it just yet....

• Like 2

Thanks all, I think I'll try them separately then super duper glue them together. The goblins are some goblin-imps from the old Partha line, so they're really small and there might be hard to reach spots if I glue first, paint later.. What I'll probably due though is put them farther down my painting queue so I don't have to worry about it just yet....

Aaaaahhhh... Procrastination. Story of my life.

But that's a story I can tell you... tomorrow.

• Like 3