Air but no liquid comes out of airbrush

Hey all, I'm sending an email to badger but I'm hoping for a quicker resolution then having to wait till Monday for a response, but my Patriot 105 no longer works. Haven't used it for about a month and despite several hours of cleaning I can't get it to work.

Basically air flow is awesome but no paint, water or other liquid will. Google has been no luck. I've monkeyed with the PSI and that's not the issue.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Kind at the point where I'm going to throw all the airbrush stuff in the trash.

Edited by ladystorm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not that familiar with airbrushes, but I found a site that suggested the things below. You said you tried water so maybe it is the needle.

Air but no paint

Maybe your paint is too thick or has lumps. You could try cranking the air pressure up a little to increase the vacuum, or you could see if the problem goes away when you spray plain water or thinner.

Sometimes people forget to tighten the needle chuck. They pull back on the trigger, but the needle doesn’t move; easy to fix once you notice it.

Sometimes, if the needle is stuck from dried paint, the needle chuck will slip when you pull back the trigger, even though you tightened it. So, check to see that the needle is really moving.

Make sure there is a vent hole in the cap of your siphon bottle or paint cup lid. Otherwise a vacuum will form and stop the paint from flowing.

In a siphon airbrush, a really leaky needle seal or needle bearing can cause this. To check for this, turn the airbrush upside down and put some water in the paint inlet. If it sprays OK in this position, then the seal may be bad. It may be adjustable or it may need to be replaced.

Had this problem in the last week or so. Airbrush was blowing air, and a little paint would come out. Moving the needle back and forth would give me a little flow, but it would stop.

What my problem was, and maybe yours as well, is that the nozzle itself is plugged. I took my Iwata completely apart, and tried blowing through the nozzle. No go. How I fixed it probably wasn't the best way, but I put the needle in the other side of the nozzle to clear the plug. Worked fine after that.

• Like 1

Had this problem in the last week or so. Airbrush was blowing air, and a little paint would come out. Moving the needle back and forth would give me a little flow, but it would stop.

What my problem was, and maybe yours as well, is that the nozzle itself is plugged. I took my Iwata completely apart, and tried blowing through the nozzle. No go. How I fixed it probably wasn't the best way, but I put the needle in the other side of the nozzle to clear the plug. Worked fine after that.

First thing I checked.

Have you tried just plain water?

Also have you tried just looking in the cup and making sure there is nothing blocking the hole that the needle and paint goes through?

Water doesn't spray out, as in my original post. Nothing blocking the cup as I can run liquid from the cup and it flows out the end when completely disassembled.

Edited by MonkeySloth

If while blowing air you block the tip with your finger, does the air, bubble back in your water/paint cup? Cause if it won't back flow air...then there still is some kind of clog.

The only other time I had this issue, I hadn't pushed the needle back in far enough when I tightened the adjustment screw at the back. It felt totally seated, but it still had a bit to go...felt like forcing it, but once seated right it started working.

Mine's an Iwata, so this might be total rubbish ideas. Good luck, and yeah airbrushes sometimes just frustrate the heck out of me, we've always had a love hate relationship.

• Like 1

If while blowing air you block the tip with your finger, does the air, bubble back in your water/paint cup? Cause if it won't back flow air...then there still is some kind of clog.

The only other time I had this issue, I hadn't pushed the needle back in far enough when I tightened the adjustment screw at the back. It felt totally seated, but it still had a bit to go...felt like forcing it, but once seated right it started working.

Mine's an Iwata, so this might be total rubbish ideas. Good luck, and yeah airbrushes sometimes just frustrate the heck out of me, we've always had a love hate relationship.

That appeared to have fixed it. doing the Blowback must have dislodged something. Thanks!

• Like 5

Blowback is a standard little thing you can do when cleaning... I do it every time.

I once had this issue and it was a chip of dried paint inside the noozle. Blowback wouldn't dislodge it. I had to use a few drops of nail polish removed in there, crank the pressure up and remove that sob. Immediately sprayed a full cup of water and then dissamble / clean / assemble again. 

Never did that thing to me again, but I would probably use acetone again if blockage was that severe.

Another thing I do when cleaning is, after reassembling, I spray water under the lamp to check the spray pattern, that is nice, goes out according to needle pull, round and in a perfect cone...

• Like 5

If you have taken your airbrush apart, cleaned every possible piece squeaky clean, opened up the operation lever/trigger as far as possible, and, before attempting to paint,  tried to run airbrush cleaner/water through -- and still get nothing out the pointy end -- you have an issue.

The 105 is a lower end brush that you said you have used successfully in the past -- which implies that you know how to adjust and maintain it.  You have told us that you can't even get water to spray out.  If so, you have an issue.  Go to Badger.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1