Bearded fantasy...

rgtriplec

Rather than leave room for doubt, I ABSOLUTELY HATE the idea of Dwarven Babes with beards. It's something that only G.W's lack of familiarity with females could concoct. Of course this is fantasy, SO the different strokes idiom applies.  

Don't JRRT's dwarven women canonically have beards?

Anyway, I dig it. No reason for fantasy races to conform to human ideals of gender. I also like the idea that to non-dwarves, male and female dwarves are totally indistinguishable.

I read a pretty interesting head-canon theory that dwarves don't even HAVE gender, and are all hermaphroditic, so were just confused when humans asked where all the women are. When they asked for clarification, the men said, "you know, the ones who have babies," so the dwarves figured they meant the ones who were actively pregnant, and they were like, "oh, well, they're at home," because they need to keep them safe. This explains why there are relatively few of them (less than a third of the population), why they mostly look exactly the same as the men, and why they're rarely seen outside their strongholds. It's obviously totally non-canonical, but I thought it was a pretty interesting theory.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Tolkien Gateway:

Dwarves wanted their women to be protected from other races and they usually kept them concealed inside their mountain halls. They seldom traveled in the outside world, only in great need, and when they did, they were dressed as men; with similar voice and appearance as male dwarves, even when they are rarely seen they are usually mistaken for a male. All Dwarves had beards from the beginning of their lives.

• Like 1

If I remember properly, the origin of the Bearded Dwarf Ladies was SF/Fantasy fans, back in the '50s and '60s.

The mythology being discussed had no female dwarfs, which made no sense to these fine fen - so they determined that what it really meant is that humans could not tell the difference between male dwarfs and female dwarfs, so the female dwarfs must have beards!

In the 1980s there was the A series of adventures by TSR -

a1.jpg

And Terry Pratchett, of course, took the idea and ran with it -

cheery_littlebottom_by_shire_rock-d4f60k

The name's Littlebottom. Cheery Littlebottom.

(Image by Shire-Rock over on DeviantArt.)

Me, I am of the bearded lady dwarf school... but my girlfriend disagrees. (My girlfriend is not a dwarf - she is a halfling, and proud of it!)

The Auld Grump - GW had naught to do with it.

• Like 2

Actually l would like to see more dwarf males with no beards.

It's actually a little known fact that dwarf men cannot actually shave their beards, they magically grow back right away. This is why you don't see any without beards.  :poke:  ::P:  :lol:

• Like 3

From Tolkien Gateway:

Dwarves wanted their women to be protected from other races and they usually kept them concealed inside their mountain halls. They seldom traveled in the outside world, only in great need, and when they did, they were dressed as men; with similar voice and appearance as male dwarves, even when they are rarely seen they are usually mistaken for a male. All Dwarves had beards from the beginning of their lives.

Doesn't make it right. :D

• Like 1

From Tolkien Gateway:

WHAT? That's like saying everything I read on the internet is a lie!  ::o:

From Tolkien Gateway:

WHAT? That's like saying everything I read on the internet is a lie!  ::o:

Well, mostly because its not the exact quote from the books.

• Like 1

I haven't given it much thought, really. I have however been reading a lot of Discworld lately, so Go beards I guess! ;)

I do like how it marks dwarfs as completely different from humans in some aspect.

• Like 1

I haven't given it much thought, really. I have however been reading a lot of Discworld lately, so Go beards I guess! ;)

I do like how it marks dwarfs as completely different from humans in some aspect.

With a monicker like Dibbler, it is possible that you might be biased....

The Auld Grump - who is not Lord Vetinari in disguise....

• Like 1

I go with the dwarven females having no beards.

The thought of facial hair on a woman is slightly unsettling to me so I may be biased on this topic.

On the Dark Sun world of Athas dwarves are hairless not just beardless.

It is even pointed out that they find the thought of body hair to be dirty and repulsive.

Now I know that is a completely different cosmology in all respects but it is a great setting.

Oh, and I am with Beowulfthehunter in wanting to see beardless dwarves.

Which brings up another thought, gw slayers have been shamed in some way.  In some of the fluff it mentions that they will sometimes shave off their hair AND beards yet you never see any minis like this.  Come on mini creators lets get on the ball.

Edited by chaoshead