First-Timer Advice

mototom

I think some of this might have been covered in a thread but I can't find. For us first-timers who are not entering any competitions, what do we need to bring along? From the class descriptions, it seems like a lot of things are provided. I'm considering just bringing some brushes and maybe a miniature or two I might want to try techniques on or ask advice on.

Can I get away with just brushes if I'm not entering anything? What else might I need?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few brushes, your favorite palette, and perhaps a sample of your past work will take you a long way.

I also recommend a notebook and a pen.

I also recommend all of what klarg1 said, but highlighted something that a lot of people forget. I have taken a notebook every Reapercon I've been to, and at every one someone says they wished they had brought a notebook.

• Artists

If you have any particular tool, gadget, or non-Reaper paint that you frequently like to use, those are some other possibilities to consider. (Like if you prefer a specific kind of palette surface or something like that.)

• Like 2

• Artists

Reaper provides some paints, absolutely. In the past when events were held at the factory and space was tight, we recommended people not bring Reaper paint. Now there is a bit more space, and a lot more people, so if you are concerned about having convenient access to paint and you have room, I recommend you bring some. So if you need specific colours to finish your entry or you want easy access to black and white (or whichever shade/highlight mixers you personally use most often), you might want to bring them.

My guess is there will be 5-7 or so of each colour kicking around in the main room available for general use, which includes the painters at the artist table. For those familiar with the floor racks, it's whatever fits in those. It also only includes current 'in print' colours, so if your entry uses a retired colour, you'll need to bring it.

There should be at least the starting 54 colours in each of the classrooms, so you don't need to bring paint for classes. (Or other scheduled paint related activities like Sophie Says.)

• Like 4

• Artists

If you sit down to paint, look for a table with some paints on it. Hopefully you'll have found someone who either already has a bunch of the open use paints gathered, or you'll have found someone who brought paint and might be willing to share. ;->

• Like 2

If you're going to hang out and paint, bring brushes, paint, tools, palette, magnifiers, etc. that you would normally use. I would bring a selection of paint. While Reaper provides some, you are sharing with 150+ people and most of them are not going to put the paint back in the rack. 

For classes, bring notebook, pencils, brushes or sculpting tools as needed, possibly a camera if the instructor allows it, and any magnifiers you need to see. 

For the con, bring money for shopping and food, dice if you plan to game, and a good attitude. 

• Like 5

I think some of this might have been covered in a thread but I can't find. For us first-timers who are not entering any competitions, what do we need to bring along? From the class descriptions, it seems like a lot of things are provided. I'm considering just bringing some brushes and maybe a miniature or two I might want to try techniques on or ask advice on.

Can I get away with just brushes if I'm not entering anything? What else might I need?

Sit by Corporea/Miss Melons. That's my only advice.