First-Timer Advice

mototom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pooling is one word for it.

Last year was fun to watch the forumites vs the little girl fight over the huge paint set.  I had not gotten anything before then so gave up my bucks to the forumites but it did not help.  Kids have a draw on people and they eventually took the set.

This year we little guys can drop our bucks into the raffle they are doing. Not sure on specifics but I may put a few in it and try to grab something during the auction.

I think some of this might have been covered in a thread but I can't find. For us first-timers who are not entering any competitions, what do we need to bring along? From the class descriptions, it seems like a lot of things are provided. I'm considering just bringing some brushes and maybe a miniature or two I might want to try techniques on or ask advice on.

Can I get away with just brushes if I'm not entering anything? What else might I need?

Sit by Corporea/Miss Melons. That's my only advice.

I know you have mastered metal casting and injection PVC, but, unless you have also mastered cloning, we might not all be able to cram in around them and their supplies, try as we might. :poke:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

This is only my second year to attend. Last year I spent most of my time in classes. Went to the banquets. Talked to the artists. Entered the painting competition. And shopped in the vendor area. At the conclusion of the con, I had made acquaintances of a few folks, but from what I have heard, the best way to make friends at RCon is to join games. I have heard it rumored that you can just ask to sit with other folks painting in the main hall....  but I overloaded myself with classes and didn't take advantage of the social opportunities like I should have.

This year, fewer classes. Planned time to socialize in the main hall.  Offering rides where appropriate.  No banquets this year (unless they have some seats available at the registration desk on the day of) so maybe dinner with new friends...   There is a pool.  And an outdoor fire-pit I think.  Coffee and breakfast.  With all that, I am hoping to get to know some people on a little more personal level than, "Hey, yeah, we had that class together."

• Like 4

As it stands, I don't know anyone at the con.  I'm going to bring chocolate with which to attempt to bribe my way into existing circles of friends.   ^_^

Look For the chubby Guy in Sunglasses... Yes I do look my avatar... Its my 1st con too, so I will be more than happy to meet folks!

• Like 3

This will be my 2nd 'con and the only thing I would add to the excellent advice already given would be to bring at least a handful of pieces to work on that you've always wanted to start but never gotten around to.  Last year I came with just brushes and no painting equipment because I was (still am) pretty noobish.  But there were gatherings of people in the common room painting, sculpting, and generally working on stuff at every level from trophy winners to just starting out.  And everyone was so friendly and supportive.

I took the advice to not overbook classes and I'm glad I did because I retained the information better, but I truly regret the "lost time" I could have painted without being climbed by my 6 year old and various other interruptions that happen when I paint at home.  I had minis from the swag bag and things I'd bought from the Reaper store in the hotel, but I didn't feel right just plunking down and using someone else's paint, palette, lights etc.  I'm pretty introverted in general, but the atmosphere of being around so many others who share the enthusiasm cannot be completely described.  You just have to experience it.

So TL:DR - If you are only concerned with what you need for classes, a few brushes will do.  If you want to partake of the amazing MiniPainterSculptorNerdsUniteAmoeba, pack more ::P:

• Like 8

Don't be afraid to talk to people. Biggest mistake newbies make.

I'll need to work on this.

As it stands, I don't know anyone at the con.  I'm going to bring chocolate with which to attempt to bribe my way into existing circles of friends.   ^_^

Good tactic.

• Like 2