First-Timer Advice

mototom

3. yes, it varies but usually under $15

That is a bit on the low side.  I think my cheapest class last year was $20.

As for rides to places there are always people willing to give out of towners a lift and if all else fails and it is after shuttle hours you can uber.  I have known a few that do the uber thing later in the evening in the Lewisville/Denton area.

Some of the bigger group lectures were cheaper, but $20 was pretty typical for the smaller, hands-on classes.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I accidentally posted my reply on last years thread!  Here it is again on the right one:

This topic is great!  Lots of great advice given.  Last year was my first reapercon as well, and, I was only 3 months into painting at all, so I was very nervous to talk to anyone.  Like many have said, that was my biggest mistake.  I spent my time up in my room painting by myself.  This year I plan on painting in the main ballroom and hope to make many new friends.  My wife calls me an "Ambivert", exhibiting qualities of both introverts and extroverts, but my home base is still introverted.  Many of us there will be so please, know that you are not alone!!!  Chances are the person next to you is trying to build up the courage to say Hi at the same time you are!  I plan on smiling a lot - I find that helps me meet people.

The classes are fantastic, and I still go back and look at my notes from last year so yes - bring a notebook.  Take pictures if the artists will allow it.  Come up with questions you want to ask ahead of time!  If you know who you want to ask that question - even better.   I know I have quite a few topics I want to bend some folks ear on so I can improve.

I'm not sure if there is an official reapercon16 twitter hashtag, but I know I found some folks who replied to my random tweets about the con last year that I still follow and watch their work today.

Most folks have covered what to bring already, but here's my list:

Brushes, pallettes, projects, paints, notebook and pencil, dice, D&D books (just in case!)

Edited by edz16
  • Like 3

I've been to every reapercon but the first and CLASS tickets have never been less than $20. I know they've started doing some seminar type deals that have a larger attendance pool and I don't know how they ticket those as I've not been, but the classes with a handful of students and an instructor have always been at least $20

• Like 4

As for hotels - there is only one close by (the Texan Inn), but it is nasty and on the other side of Interstate 35 from the venue, so I don't recommend it. You're going to need to plan transportation most likely. I live in The Colony, a town about 7 miles away from Lewisville and there are a LOT of new hotels being built here. You'll still need a ride, but that's Texas life for you ;)

• Like 1

While this RCon presented the option of staying at the Best Western on Teasley (road that goes straight to Reaper from I-35 & roughly halfway between Reaper & the actual Con area), in the end I opted again to stay at the HGI that has been the home of Rcon goers for the past few year. I figured I wanted to be where everyone else was going to be. In the end it just makes being at the Con during & after so much nicer.

If you do walk, (which I hope you dont!!) just don't do what a young couple from California did, they decided that it would be ok to walk the Reaper HQ to Best Western route late at night (aka Teasley Lane). We never saw them again & this was before the MAJOR construction happening on that road right now!!

• Like 2

• Artists

With the variety of class topics, I wouldn't take the same one twice. The artists are available outside of class time at a long row of tables. We hang out there and demo and talk to people when we aren't eating or running classes. (Those of us who are also contest judges aren't there quite as often because contest judging takes up a fair bit of time!) This will allow you to ask other artists a question or two on a topic you took in class that you might want to get multiple viewpoints on. Or, you can sit at one of the tables and practice something you learned in a class, and then talk to the instructor to get some feedback on how well you're applying what you learned. 

I would try to bring brushes. I usually bring mine in carryon luggage as I don't trust TSA not to muck up my expensive brushes. You can get a cheap bamboo brush roll or similar. With the bamboo, you can cut it down to short handle brush length for our smaller brushes. It's light and good protection. Alternatively you could plan to buy one or two brushes at the store, but they might not be the same as your favourites. Classes supply paints and figures, and some classes/instructors will bring brushes (I always try to), but they won't be in abundance and might not be like what you're used to. 

Also don't be afraid to bring something to enter in the contest!

• Like 11

Bribery is not necessary, I'll talk to a hatrack if I get really bored. However free chocolate is always welcome. Personally, I'll use my basius pads and some putty as an attractor ::):

Lol!  I'll be bringing those when I come eventually.... I figure I'd have too much hassle getting the chocolate coated buzzies through quarantine.  

• Like 3

Great thread! Thanks everyone, this has a lot of useful info.

I have one more question: what day and time is the awards ceremony, usually? I understand that the schedule is not out yet, but I'd like to know what time the ceremony has been in past years. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Great thread! Thanks everyone, this has a lot of useful info.

I have one more question: what day and time is the awards ceremony, usually? I understand that the schedule is not out yet, but I'd like to know what time the ceremony has been in past years.

Thanks!

Sunday around noon or 1 if my memory serves me right.

NO, NO! The awards ceremony for the painting competition is Saturday night after the banquet. So figure 7 or 8pm on Saturday night. The auction takes place on Sunday (ReaperBucks are the only way to buy things in the auction, you get them simply by participating in classes, games, wearing t-shirts, costumes and things of that nature). 

If you are entering the painting competition and have a full convention pass then your deadline for entry is 5PM on Friday. NO EXCEPTIONS!

If you are Saturday only then your deadline for entry is NOON on Saturday. NO EXCEPTIONS!

• Like 6

Bribery is not necessary, I'll talk to a hatrack if I get really bored. However free chocolate is always welcome. Personally, I'll use my basius pads and some putty as an attractor ::):

Lol!  I'll be bringing those when I come eventually.... I figure I'd have too much hassle getting the chocolate coated buzzies through quarantine.  

traditionally, our non-North-American-Continent guests have had very few difficulties bringing authentic "native" snacks in obviously not-for-resale amounts into the convention.

traditionally, our non-North-American-Continent guess have had very few difficulties bringing authentic "native" snacks in obviously not-for-resale amounts into the convention.

"SPUUUUUNNNNKKKKK!!!!"   :blink:

• Like 2