Regarding Bones, Basing and Monster Sizes

Baugi

So I've been wondering, given that many Bones minis are rather on the generous side size-wise, how are people reconciling that with games that have specific rules around monster size?  These rules often also dictate what bases are appropriate for a miniature.

I'm thinking in particular of minis like the gnolls and bugbears that KS supporters have so many of now.  As I understand it, in most D&D rulesets, bugbears are medium monsters, which means they should be based as such.. but their legs are HUGE and set very far apart!  So what are you folks doing?  Just basing them as though they were larger, or cramming them on smaller bases somehow?

• Like 4

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just Bones, not just Reaper, but many of the tabletop miniatures today are rather too big to fit within a 1-inch square.

It may be problematic if you are playing games such as Warhammer Fantasy Battle, which you need to make base to base contact. But when playing D&D with squares, it is not that much important. As long as you and your friend can understand in which square the mini is on, that is enough.

You may let the a miniature's feet overreach beyond the rim of the base and/or use slightly larger base, such as 30mm round one.

gnollmarauders_1.jpgRed_Draconid_Lord.jpg

• Like 4

Uber's pretty well covered it, but for myself I have been basing them diagonally on squares.  If your bases have a slight taper the mini's stance may still be noticeably too wide but many larger "medium" size creatures will just squeeze in on a true 1" square.

• Like 1

So what are you folks doing?  Just basing them as though they were larger, or cramming them on smaller bases somehow?

1. Forcing the group to measure movement and such rather than trying to cram a mini that belongs on a 1.5" / 40mm base onto a 25mm base; nor forcing a fig that only needs a 1.5" base to take up a 2x2 area just so a grid can be used. If players don't like it, someone else can run a game,

2. Creating stats for monster in various sizes. Large brute bugbears who were enforcers for their chieftains, Towering gnolls who grew large and strong from fantastically plentiful hunting grounds,

3. Elevating the fig on a faux rock on top of the expected base so it doesn't knock around other figures. You'll notice Reaper is doing this with recent dragons.

• Like 1

Go to the Reaper Store, click on Accessories on the right, click on Bases and look at the 39 items currently available.

Litko Areo Systems, just search for Litko.

There are multiple sellers on eBay, but I haven't purchased from any of them yet. These are just the ones on my Watch List.

wargamestournaments

wargame-model-mods

ken_of_york

hoard_*_bits  (actually have bought from them, just not recently)

treadhead2004

No direct links as that's against board rules.

Edited because I forgot how to spell a simple word until after I hit "Post".

Edited by Brother Jim

Anybody recommend a good place to find miniature bases in bulk?  I'm thinking square 30mm is the way to go?

For small bases (circular) apparently you can't beat a penny.

Also you can get circular washers at the hardware shop (whatever size you want) often cheaper than bases.

Anybody recommend a good place to find miniature bases in bulk?  I'm thinking square 30mm is the way to go?

For small bases (circular) apparently you can't beat a penny.

Also you can get circular washers at the hardware shop (whatever size you want) often cheaper than bases.

Fender washers are better than regular washers.  They have smaller holes.

• Like 3

If you plan on using a grid using 30mm or 1.5" squares, that could work. But I'd recommend trying to fit the man sized figs you can on 25mm round. Even if you have to elevate them a bit, this way most will be usable between systems both gridded and non gridded. You might have to upsize some bases to 30mm round or 1.5" round for Reapers worst cases of scale creep and bow leggedness.

Bulk? How many bases we talking here? How much height you want the base to add? You need to be able to Pin to the base?  

"20mm wood buttons" from chinese suppliers on ebay can be pretty cheap. US pennies will be cheaper at 19.5mm

"Learning Resources two color counters" (split in half) are VERY cheap 1" bases. 

Poker chips make great bases for many ogre sized figs. Cheap ridged chips are normally 1.5" across. Heavier unridged or 'clay' variety are often 40mm across.

2" bases can be tricky to get 'bulk' cheap. I think some online sellers of fender washers can be cheap enough on bulk orders.

3" bases are practically free if you eat canned food and have the right kind of can opener.

4" bases can be had 4 for $1 in the walmart housewares isle as plastic coasters.

cheap%20bases_zpsd3mkz58t.jpg

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 2