Sign in to follow this  
hungerfan

2015 Reapercon In Review

Since all I will be doing is coming out tomorrow to enjoy the auction and say goodbye for now I wanted to post my thoughts on everything I did.

THE CLASSES:

Beginner Blending with Brice Cocanour

This class was fun and a bit much for me since all I have done is basecoat, wash, drybrush.  It did give me some great info to bring home and practice with on my many Bones until I get it figured out.

Create Your Own Scenic Base: Fantasy/Horror with Bob Ridolfi

I have never based or built any kind of diorama so going into this class I was very green.  I got to do some basics with a small horror base with crumbling wall and using materials supplied to get a gravesite started.  It even came with a cool skeleton mini not sold in stores AND many great stories and tips from Bob.  I wish I had taken his modern basing class too.

Reaper Bones Convert 'n' Take with Bryan Stiltz

When I took this class it was because I had a way to RC on Friday after all and so signed up last minute to have something to do.  I am glad I did because just watching the cool things others made (some had 6 conversions before I did my 1) and even making my own using a giant body, the wood spirit head and fist, and then some wings because i mentioned something about how hard it would be and then Bryan making me do it.  Taking the class gave me a bit more knowledge on how to chop up bones and glue them together in strange ways if i feel so inclined. 

Miniatures Prep & Assembly with Tish Wolter

Another class I wish had been taken last year because it helped me learn a bit more about some things like pinning which I have yet to do and ways to clean up flash and mold lines. Tish even demoed the use of green stuff for me by using some on my converted bones where the wings met the cloak.

Creative Scenic Basing with Erin Hartwell 

Corporea....'nuff said. :)  Seriously though. I had only had Bob's class on basing so far and going into this one I was just flooded with so much awesome info.  We ended up not really doing a base but instead listened to her go over supplies and things she uses for making bases/dioramas.  She did do a hands on for how she makes tiny flowes and leaves.  Not an easy thing to do and it will require much more practice.  So many basing goodies were given and I need to pick up some tools before I can try to use them all.

Painting Red with Aaron Lovejoy

This class was another informative one by a great artist.  He walked us through the steps and even had to repeat a few times for a couple of us that had issues getting it.  The information I got in this class is another one I will need to work on and practice but would like to get it down so I can work on a mini I have put aside who would have a red robe and have been afraid to paint him.

THE BANQUETS:

Both of the banquets were a fun social event.  Friday night we had a great table and I met some new painting friends.  We had some luck at the raffle and Harrek won a paint set he already owned so he passed it around the table letting us take one paint until it was emptied.  That is what this is all about. The miniature painting community getting together for some good times and sharing their spoils. :)  The Saturday banquet was filled with laughs and a few new forum friends at the table but no raffle wins.  I came to the conclusion that our table only wins when Adrienne is drawing the tickets. 

THE GAMES:

A lot of games going on but I never played any. I usually had 1 1/2 hours to play but most looked like they would take more time than that.

THE PAINTING CONTEST:

Wow is about all I can say.  My hands nearly bled from all the clapping. So many entrants with so many entries.  I gotta make some kind of promise to get something painted for next year because I feel like I missed out.

THE ARTISTS:

Great as always.  Very friendly and willing to talk. I met/talked with more this year than last year and I am glad I did.

THE VENDORS:

Lots of good stuff and I spent plenty of money again.  I have a problem going around to each one and not buying something...even if only a $7 item.

THE SWAG:

Awesome!!! So much stuff in so little time.

OVERALL:

I am sure I missed something but overall I am glad I went again and look forward to next year...if they don't break me with Bone IV Kickstarter. :P

Thank you Reaper for a great week(end)!!!!

• Like 14

Seeing all the fun people had, I almost have to ask right now when's Reapercon 2016 happening?

I have a week on/week off work schedule, so it's easily a go or no go for just about every event during a year.

This year, it fell on my work week. So I had a sad.

Seeing all the fun people had, I almost have to ask right now when's Reapercon 2016 happening?

I have a week on/week off work schedule, so it's easily a go or no go for just about every event during a year.

This year, it fell on my work week. So I had a sad.

Swag bag had a Save The Date magnet for April 28 to May 1. That's a Thrsday, so I'd wager the Meet and Greet would again be on Wednesday.

• Like 1

[Looks at proposed dates. Looks at 2016 work schedule. Curses the gods of conventions.]

So I have to ask myself. Do I *really* want to spend time with the family during Christmas and New Year's?

Been with the company for 7 months, but when I'll be with the company for three years, I'll get my extra week of vacation. So you'll have to be patient.

Hell with vacation. I came anyway. My sole concession to a new job was that I didn't take off for Wednesday and Monday after.

And the way I feel now, I may well regret that.

• Like 4

This was my first convention and it was incredibly fun. There were some people I wanted to socialize with, but did not have a chance. There were events I wanted to do, but was doing something else.

Incredible fun, great people, fun community, everyone was great in person as they are online.

Also, spent less money than I accounted for and came home with more toys than I thought I was going to come home with.

• Like 8

Addendum:

The auction was fun and the raffle was a great change.  It let some spend their entire 1200+ on tickets instead of trying to get something.  Thanks to all the great Reaperites there my daughter made out like a bandit.  She got a Vampire kit that someone else won in the raffle and was a bit shocked and not sure what to do when it was handed to her. (Forgot your forum name but I hope you start posting more and another big thanks.  She has been digging through it to find the ones she wants to work on first. Even the wife sounded interested in trying it out. If she does then I owe you an even bigger thanks!)  She also got a bunch of paints from Harrek who won a set in the raffle but dug out those he did not really need  (Sorry I didn't get to say bye before you split but I was running around to show her some stuff and say byes.  Will talk to you here and see ya next year! Thanks again for all the great paint!).  Oh and she also got more Reaperbucks from those around us and a guy I do not know who won something and dropped the rest he had off at our table.  With that she bought a dragon pic that Siri did and the gore paint kit. Even though she will not be able to use the gore kit she bid on I will learn how to use it and do whatever weird thing she has in mind. Oh and she got more dice from Ludo.  She was a bit shy at the time or may have taken many bags of dice from him instead of just one.

Pic of her going through the loot tonight after getting home.

post-12234-0-94319900-1430693691_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to Reaper and the awesome community!!  We both had a blast today and I am hoping she will get a lot of practice in (and me with my own Vampire set and KSII Bones) so we have some things to share over the next year.

• Like 10

I may have said a quick hi.  I believe you were near in the banquet food line last night.  Today I was not hard to miss since the daughter and I were in our Creeper Day shirts she likes to wear when we go do things. :)

• Like 2

Hell with vacation. I came anyway. My sole concession to a new job was that I didn't take off for Wednesday and Monday after.

And the way I feel now, I may well regret that.

Scratch that. I DID take Monday off, due to con crud. And I am going to hear about it tomorrow. My sole saving grace is that I would rather feel better tomorrow during a faceful than go to work today...

• Like 1

Scratch that. I DID take Monday off, due to con crud. And I am going to hear about it tomorrow. My sole saving grace is that I would rather feel better tomorrow during a faceful than go to work today...

Probably what I should have done.  Sitting at my desk coughing and getting that scratchy throat feeling I often get before I get sick. Taking lots of Vitamin C and crossing my fingers that my body will fight it off.  

Damn you Con Crud!!   :grr:

Edited by KrisL
  • Like 3