Sign in to follow this  
hungerfan

2015 Reapercon In Review

I'm not much of a gamer, so much so that I've never had to roll a check of any kind. Unless it was the paper kind, but that's normally a folding action.

*waits for audience laughter, receives crickets*

Ahem.

I was running on reputation alone for Fiasco, and went in completely blind, both on game and genre. On top of that, I'm a horrible "pretender". Cost me my Eagle rank in Scouts. I just could not pretend to try to sell a pair of shoes for my communications badge. Wouldn't do it. Really hated it and fully realized what I was throwing away with full acceptance. True story.

I think I also suffered from playing with complete and total strangers. I'd seen one person around the con, while the other two were new to me. Not knowing at least a bit of the personalities took time to feel out. By that time we were probably halfway done.

I'll admit that I'm curious if the second time through would be smoother. Guess I'll have to see at my next Con.

• Like 3

I think I also suffered from playing with complete and total strangers. I'd seen one person around the con, while the other two were new to me. Not knowing at least a bit of the personalities took time to feel out. By that time we were probably halfway done.

I'll admit that I'm curious if the second time through would be smoother. Guess I'll have to see at my next Con.

I can definitely attest to the game being better with people you know. I find that the best games are the ones where two ore more people come to the table together. They already know each other's humor and social tropes, so it's easier to riff. That said, some people are naturally outgoing and can do well at any table. I am not one of those people.

The true story behind my introduction to Fiasco involved being the guy in our game group who discovered the game, bought it, and invited a bunch of people over to play. Even as people were showing up, I was overwhelmed by the prospect of how much creativity and improv was going to be involved. We had a very rough start, but what made it work was that we were all good friends and we were all dedicated to the story together.

Even then, I had a drink or two before people showed up. :poke:

• Like 1

I must try Fiasco next year.  This year every time Bryan was rounding people up I had a class in an hour or so.  Next year I need to do a class with a 4 hour gap before the next so I have plenty of time for enjoying a game or two of some type.

• Like 2

I must try Fiasco next year.  This year every time Bryan was rounding people up I had a class in an hour or so.  Next year I need to do a class with a 4 hour gap before the next so I have plenty of time for enjoying a game or two of some type.

I am going to try to be more conscious of the class schedule next year (if I can remember to think about it). If I can get a hold of the class schedule before I have to arrange my games, I will likely make sure that they overlap as few classes as possible.

Edited by kacey3
  • Like 1

Late night Fiasco doesn't overlap any classes....

Correct. All classes end by 6pm before dinners. Late night stuff is always after dinners.

• Like 2

Late night Fiasco doesn't overlap any classes....

This is true... but as was mentioned in an earlier post, I feel like I can't spend as much time at each table going over how the game works and kind of coaching people through their first foray into Fiasco.

It may be a completely freeform game with no "game master," but it's nice to have someone there to kind of explain how the game works and keep you on topic as the story unfolds.

Believe me when I say, however, there will never not be Fiasco After Dark as long as I am at ReaperCon. It's just too much fun.

• Like 3

Some of us are pooped and drive home after all the festivities so late night gaming was out of the equation.

There is a reason that the late night Fiasco! game only happens on one night of the Con. I would be dead if I had to stay up there until 3am every night.

Turn down that music and get off my lawn! I'm getting too old for this s#it.

• Like 4

I went to bed at 0300 each morning, and the hubs came to bed later almost every night. We found a different party each night! So, so, so much fun.

• Like 6

Did people sleep before 0300? O__o

10pm the first night (i blame the bbq and the flying most of the day), 2am pretty much every other night so ha!

• Like 7

Thursday I left too early and got stuck in rush hour traffic. My ~30 min drive home took over an hour.  I was beat for sure by then.  Friday I left after the banquet from a full day of being at the con and got home a little after 9. I think while watching some TV I passed out.  Saturday was a bit later since I stayed for the award ceremony and may have stayed up too long once I got home.  It was still fun and if I could get a room and just hang out at the con until I was too tired to stay up then I would do that because the 30+ min drive there and again back home gets old after day 2.

• Like 4

Did people sleep before 0300? O__o

10pm the first night (i blame the bbq and the flying most of the day), 2am pretty much every other night so ha!

Coughing up a lung was worse for me at night, so I went to bed around 3am and was up by 8am every morning. Yeah, not much sleep for me, but a lot of fun regardless of con crud or whatever.

• Like 4

I arrived late and my roomies waited up for me. That was awesome of them. And I think after that, we never went to bed before 2:30am. And most days we woke up around 8:30 so we could get breakfast haha.

• Like 5