Sign in to follow this  
hungerfan

2015 Reapercon In Review

Did people sleep before 0300? O__o

There's enough time for sleep when you're dead.

The only night I went to sleep (relatively) early was Sunday, and that's only 'cause I had to be up at 3:30 to get to the airport.

I missed parties?

RE: Fiasco--I enjoyed myself and would like to try it again. I felt as though I did alright, but being my first time, I was a little slow.

• Like 5

Around 2 to 3 Weds (up at 7 on Thurs)

around 3 to 4 Thurs (up at 730 ish on Friday)

Around 530 to 6 Fri errr Saturday (thou that was hazy. Hell I don't even remember going to bed. ...) ( up at 9 Saturday. still uh stumblin....gonna be a long day)

Around 1 or 2 Saturday night

Sunday woke up around 8 but really didn't need to so fell back to sleep to close to 9.

Sunday night, hell I was in bed by 10 thou didn't fall asleep till about 11. Woke up at 4 to leave for home.

• Like 1

Eeesh. Bunch of sleepless nights for many. I was lucky to make it to midnight.

I'd ask what you all were doing, but I either already can guess or don't really want to know.

• Like 2

I arrived late and my roomies waited up for me. That was awesome of them. And I think after that, we never went to bed before 2:30am. And most days we woke up around 8:30 so we could get breakfast haha.

That was done good bacon though

• Like 5

Eeesh. Bunch of sleepless nights for many. I was lucky to make it to midnight.

I'd ask what you all were doing, but I either already can guess or don't really want to know.

Well normally I only sleep 4 to 5 hrs due to my work schedule (graveyard) but most of the time it was just BSin with friends & such. Thou Thurs night my rpg game ran until 2 to 230 that morning.

• Like 1

Wound up taking Monday off due to the crud, but felt pretty good the week after. Was sorry to hear about all them what didn't...

• Like 2

Thought I escaped the crud, but Wednesday night till about today, I have had it, and I am still recovering.  Ugh...

• Like 1

I guess we should give our yearly reapercon review. Better late than never!

FireElemental is dealing with some sort of crud, although I don't know if it's con-related or not. I've been more or less fine so far, thankfully. 

We bought less than we thought we were going to, which I suppose worked out since I ended up spending a bunch of money on miniature supplies afterwards (admittedly, most of it influenced by goings-on at Reapercon). We took 7 classes each, and learned a ton. They were incredibly valuable and I would recommend it to anyone who can handle that many courses.

What we didn't do was spend enough time just hanging out or bugging the artists in artist row. I think I am running out of classes I can plausibly learn from. (not to say I am good--I just need more practice far more than I need more classes now.) Instead I think I'm going to plan to hang out more and badger more artists. Maybe we'll make it to one of Wappel's late night paint-fests next year.

The gaming was good when it could happen, which was infrequently. I think next year I am going to work through LadyStorm to schedule things earlier and hope I can get them registered with PFS later, rather than the other way around.

I still don't like picking through the melt bins, but trading melt in for freshly cast minis was fun!

We need to triple-check our GPS on the return trip to the airport next time.

• Like 8

I am only just getting over the crud and catching up on the forums! This does seem like it was a virulent one. (Or more likely there were multiple varieties?) I usually do pretty well avoiding con crud. I suspect that's due to having a tiny bladder and taking care to wash up before meals and the like. In 12 years of attending multiple conventions a year I've only gotten sick a couple of times. This year I seem to be making up for it. I got strep at Adepticon, and I'd forgotten how much fun that is! So it was definitely bummer to get sick a month later at RC. :-< (Especially when I was pretty sensible about going to bed in decent time and not getting up to too many shenanigans. Which I maybe can't say about Adepticon. ;->)

I found the symptoms of this weirdly specific. I skipped the yucky feeling in the back of the throat phase and went straight to mild fever and cough/lung congestion, then circled back around to general head cold. The fever only lasted a couple of days, but it's only the last few days that I haven't felt either too hot or too cold at any given moment, and I'm still overheating pretty easily. I had major dark circles under my eyes, then when my husband came down with it, his dark circles were almost bad enough to look like he'd been punched!

I've got one more con this year, and I'm crossing my fingers that for it and the next few years I'll go back to dodging the crud. Hope everyone else is getting back to normal, too!

• Like 7

We had a fantastic time. I have to say, when the Hubs changes his mind about something, it's remarkable. When we went, he wasn't optimistic about having a good time since I was in classes all day most days (took 8 and they were FANTASTIC. wouldn't change it for the world). But, he got in some 5th ed, which we hadn't tried yet (and now he's running it at home), and decided next year he'd like to take a sculpting class or two. So, it was a win all around. We also found that we didn't spend as much money as we thought we would, though we spent our fair share. I loved digging through the melt bin, and already have a little box of sprues and whatnot started for next year!

We were very impressed with the teachers, staff, and general organizations. Fantastic job, reaper. We will definitely be back.

Also, Ann confirmed that there is crack in the paint, which is why we all feel the need to catch them all!! Also, may contribute to the epidemic proportions of brushlicking. :)

So, that's my review. A+++, would buy again.

• Like 6

Oh oh reviews!!! I should probably type this up at a computer... Ahh well

The Mr and I traveled by plane this time and if funds allow, this may be our continued mode of transport. The Table war case proved perfect for transporting my diorama and miniatures without a hitch. The hotel was nice, as usual, the staff were very accommodating. The con itself, fun! I took classes with teachers and artists I hadn't met yet and they were all awesome. I wish I had spent more time outside of the classes talking with teachers but meeting and hanging out with the forumites was the best. It was awesome putting names to faces! The melt bin, I'm satisfied with the hunting I was able to do this year. The Mr regrets not letting me buy a scale 75 set there. He's alreading planning a game for next year that he's excited about. Thank you Marsya for rooming with us, I hope we didn't keep you up much or were a bother and thank you Corporea for the rides. Next year: two silvers and a bronze! Or three silvers...maybe three. o_o can I do three between now and then?! Maybe.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 9

We had a fantastic time. I have to say, when the Hubs changes his mind about something, it's remarkable. When we went, he wasn't optimistic about having a good time since I was in classes all day most days (took 8 and they were FANTASTIC. wouldn't change it for the world). But, he got in some 5th ed, which we hadn't tried yet (and now he's running it at home), and decided next year he'd like to take a sculpting class or two.

I plan on trying to sign up for at least one Bones conversion class.  "The Husbands" should all get together and try to make each other cringe with the abominations we can make from it.

• Like 2