2015 Reapercon In Review

Scratch that. I DID take Monday off, due to con crud. And I am going to hear about it tomorrow. My sole saving grace is that I would rather feel better tomorrow during a faceful than go to work today...

Probably what I should have done.  Sitting at my desk coughing and getting that scratchy throat feeling I often get before I get sick. Taking lots of Vitamin C and crossing my fingers that my body will fight it off.  

Damn you Con Crud!!   :grr:

Yeah, normally of a Monday morning, I'm doing well to navigate my feets to the coffee pot, but today, I awoke, assessed my physick, and promptly decided that if I tried to work today, I'd be fighting this bug all week... or I could relax, recuperate, hopefully not get my coworkers sick, and keep it down to another day or two...

• Like 3
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since all I will be doing is coming out tomorrow to enjoy the auction and say goodbye for now I wanted to post my thoughts on everything I did.   THE CLASSES: Beginner Blending with Brice Cocanour

I picked mine up the Monday just before the con. Felt like just a pretty run-of-the-mill cold, with more throat tickling/soreness than usual (most likely due to my refusal to tone down my excitement l

So if I understand things correctly, plenty of people got sick once they flew home. And this was due to some sort of contamination during the convention.   You know what this means? FLIGHT OF THE CO

Posted Images

How does one even take care of a sick five headed dragon?

Very carefully.

I got to hang out with Siri at least a little bit and I'm fine, I think you're all just imagining things. ::P:

Yeah but you're Chaoswolf.  That comes with bonus perks against sickness.  Nurgle and whatnot.

Some of us are just mere mortals!

• Like 1

So if I understand things correctly, plenty of people got sick once they flew home. And this was due to some sort of contamination during the convention.

You know what this means? FLIGHT OF THE CONCRUDS!

[One of these days, I'll get the banhammer because of my puns.]

• Like 10

So if I understand things correctly, plenty of people got sick once they flew home. And this was due to some sort of contamination during the convention.

...oh, WINCE...

Because you're an in-crud-rigible person?

• Like 6

I have officially contracted THE CRUD......I thank all of you for sharing this with me as I now have quite a bit of grossness coming out of every orifice....

You are welcome! So happy to share with my new BFF.

• Like 3

ReaperCon 2015 in review.

My goals before the con started were to find a good balance between taking advantage of classes offered, shopping the vendors, and socializing.

did I accomplish this goal? Yes and no.... There were so many great sculpting classes available, it was very difficult to pass any one of them up. So I ended up in more classes than I really should have taken. But they were all very good to excellent and they provided tips, techniques, and the courage to practice on my own. So classes were successful. Originally my plan was to take one class and one game a day. But I blew that up and took 2 classes a day. So I didn't end up at the gaming tables at all.  Which is a shame. I'm not going to make that mistake again. My wife was with me for the full 4 days of the Con plus the Meet n Greet on Wednesday. Having her there was a real treat, getting to share my mini geekapaloza with my best friend was amazing. My kids joined us Friday night (15 & 13 year old girls). They like to game but aren't all that interested in minis or painting. They took a few classes and endured the con with few complaints.

They did really enjoy the Grand Prix, and shopping the Reaper booth. Their favorite class was Making a Spooky Tree with Julie Guthrie. But having them there severely impaired our options to plug into social events like late night games.   I will be offering ride shares at future RCons. It was a fantastic way to socialize with new folks.

Next year, 1 game and 1 class each day. Then some after hours games too.  Ride sharing a must. Next year, I may re-evaluate bringing the kids.  We will see.

This year was an excellent show!  I have great memories stored away to keep me cozy until next year.  :)

• Like 6
Here's what I posted to another forum:

ReaperCon was awesome, and I totally recommend anyone with a love of miniatures to go if you get the chance.  My wife, whom I've never been able to get interested in painting, took five classes with me and now is wanting to start painting some herself.  I took one additional advanced class on NMM.

I took home two bronze medals.

In the painters category:

In the ordnance category:

The classes we took together were a basic painting class, how not to suck, painting skin and flesh, converting the bones skeletal giant, and converting bones NPCs.  Each class is two hours long.

For the basic painting class, we were given six paints, a brush, and a bones dwarf mini.  The first hour walked through painting basics (paints, tools, base coating, washes, dry brushing, etc).  The second hour was hands on trying out the different techniques.  In addition, five more paints were available for use.  The class had five folks, my wife and I, a father and daughter, and one other gentlemen.  At the end, we were told that since there were three sets of the five paints, each "couple" could keep a set.  So in dollar value alone for this class we came ahead.

How not to suck was a lecture format going that focused on how to layer/blend well using feathering and glazing, and highlight/shadow placement.  I learned some really good tips (always feather paint perpendicular to your shade direction).

The painting flesh and faces class focused on using blending techniques and highlight placement to get realistic skin tones.  This really brought together the stuff from the lecture for my wife.  Additionally, she's been poking fun at me all weekend because her flesh golem turned out almost as well as mine (and I've been painting for about 5 years now).

For both of the conversion classes, my wife had a blast.  She came up with very interesting, freaky models that would work together to make a diorama.  Her models may not be fully detailed or have the nice joints, etc that mine did, but she definitely won based on how interesting her work was.  In the giants class, they had a set of farmyard animals and pumpkins available, so she made two monsters fighting over the animals in the pumpkin patch.  One of her monsters is even biting the head off of a cow.  I'm amazed at her creativity.

In addition to this, we each won a door prize at one of the dinners.  So I have a sci-fi mouseling set and she has a limited edition resin model (#2 of 100).

I will take pictures of the haul tomorrow, but just for attending at the gold level together we got:

Lunches every day.

Dinners every day (except Sunday, they wrap up at 4pm).

Eighteen limited edition paints.

Ten limited edition models.

$100 in reaper gift certificates.

Basically, the swag alone almost paid for the cost of the Con.

I'm super excited for next year's con, and super energized to paint again.

• Like 8