Sign in to follow this  
hungerfan

2015 Reapercon In Review

[T/F?]Most of you seemed OK up through Sunday.

Bryan was starting to fade just before the auction.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

My cough started to develop after the show, Sunday evening. Overnight and through Monday it progressively got worse, by Tuesday morning the cough was gone and my body ached. Wednesday was the worst day but I opted to work from homr Thursday and Friday. I was basically recovered by Friday. I'm quite sure I was running a fever several times during that period.

Still don't have Con Crud, so I think I'm safe from that. But youngest went down hard yesterday and I might not be so safe from her plague.

And since this is a review thread, I've finally finished my three part video review of 2015 ReaperCon. Anybody that went will probably be bored to tears, but those who couldn't go might be interested. Was going to ask Reaper's permission to use their entry pictures in the video, but then decided to just run with my own. No copyrights to worry about there.

I'll put all that behind spoilers. But now I feel free to start actually painting something.

Part 1:  Forumites, the painting competition, and classes.
Part 2:  Games, loot, and factory tour
Part 3:  Bones III and conclusion

(Part 3 is in next post)

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 7

The second part with the reviews about the games, I think it would have benefited from having a human face to associate the words with. I started focusing on the miniature you were moving around with your hands. ^__^

I did not know they had cloakers in Bones! AJHHHHh

--- edit ---

Third video. Thank you for the shots around the figure case. I didn't notice a few of the other items in there. :D

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 2

The second part with the reviews about the games, I think it would have benefited from having a human face to associate the words with. I started focusing on the miniature you were moving around with your hands. ^__^

I did not know they had cloakers in Bones! AJHHHHh

--- edit ---

Third video. Thank you for the shots around the figure case. I didn't notice a few of the other items in there. :D

Yeah, I don't like putting my face in YouTube videos. Maybe one day, but not today.

I may have misspoke on the cloaker. I think I was referring to the "cloak beast" from Bones II. KS website has it as part of the Thank You pack, #92906, but doesn't seem to pop up either on name or number on the store. Not sure.

As for the cabinet shots, I was a little surprised at the figures I didn't see as well. I mentioned that a couple of times, and I'm sure I'm still missing something.

Your videos are good, but I agree about recording hands vs. anything else.  The only videos I've seen of the event.  Sorry you had to record twice.  I liked the parts where you showed the paint contest entries and the Bones 3 miniatures the most.  The swag was also interesting, but the poor camera focus was annoying.  Your bias toward scifi was evident, but I guess there isn't much you can do about that.  ::(:

Congrats on your bronze medal.  ::):  Not bad for a (self-proclaimed) hack.

• Like 2

The swag was also interesting, but the poor camera focus was annoying.

That focus is a constant issue. I turn autofocus on, and it rarely locks on to what it really needs to fix on. Fix the focus and things are just as badly out of focus. I'm getting a technique down that should start fixing that by combining a remote log-in and a tablet, but for the blisters I think it's a lost cause. The camera just doesn't want to focus on what's inside.

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 1

nice videos   The wet pallet can be made as simply as using one of the plastic cases the flock or terrain parts come in from citadel for example.  You simply fold up the paper towel soak it and then put parchment over while it is in the container.  If you are leaving for a bit you put the lid on and your paints are good for days not hours.  You just have to give them a stir before using them again. Well worth the effort to use one.

Ok.... Now I'm curious... Was this most an upper respiratory infection? A gastrointestinal infection? Or for some a little of both?

And anyone who has the diagnosis of strep, were they strep positive? Or was anyone positive for flu (either A or B)? And if so... How many people had flu shots?

And no one hospitalized with pneumonia? Hasn't sounded like it, so legionaries is out.

But a norovirus for GI illness is this contagious. Flu can be, so could a cold, but I wouldn't expect strep to pass this easily.

I picked mine up the Monday just before the con. Felt like just a pretty run-of-the-mill cold, with more throat tickling/soreness than usual (most likely due to my refusal to tone down my excitement level and continuing to talk/squeal/be excited). Funnily enough, though, that seems to have helped keep it from developing into my standard full-blown sinusitis/bronchitis because I was drinking soooooo much water. So much. :wacko: Didn't feel like strep, and no GI involvement, so I seem to have left with just the bug I had before I came. ^_^

~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I actually time to write my review now! ^_^ (WARNING: Much wordiness ahead!)

I had an absolute BLAST!!!!!! My highlights were getting to meet and chat with so many legendary painters/sculptors in the hobby, as well as the Reaper folks, and SO MANY forumites!! :bday:

Classes

I signed up for a total of 7 classes, and ended up having to drop one the day-of due to my needing to get sleep + finish my contest entry (I still feel bad about that; sorry Bryan, I promise I'll take your class next year! I was super bummed about dropping it, but I needed to for sanity reasons  :down: ; Bryan can attest to this, since I randomly dissolved in front of him as I was dropping his class at the registration desk :unsure: ).

I don't regret signing up for that many, and I didn't struggle with trying to learn too much information; the big problem I ran into was the fact that there was a TON of other things I wanted to get done, and not enough large chunks of time to do them in! I scheduled my classes with 2 hours free between each one, which I learned the hard was simply not enough time to both visit the Factory and dig through the Boneyard. I will definitely be taking fewer classes next year so I can have a more relaxing time. ^_^

This was my first ReaperCon, so I don't have any previous experiences to compare to; however, from the feedback from last year, it seems that the classroom setup was a vast improvement over last year's. Each class had its own conference room or hotel room, which was very nice. Reaper had also purchased some basic desk lamps for each classroom, which helped so much with the lighting that I ended up not needing my portable Ottlite as much as I had expected.

Class size increase did not appear to be too much of a problem, with just a couple of hiccups. My first class was with Michael Proctor, and we were in a conference room with 8 students. He had to think a bit about how to handle letting everyone see what he was demoing, and ended up having one half of the table come up and view, then the other half while the first half was painting. It really worked out quite well!

The only major issue was with the Flesh and Faces class I took with Ali Bailey. There was 9 of us crammed into the regular hotel room, along with Ali herself, and ReaperBryan stopped by to see what was going on, since there should have only been 8. What happened was there were two couples in the class, and it sounds like something in the code somewhere let each of them sign up for the class, but only counted them as one ticket, or something. There was actually 1 no-show, which was a good thing! There wasn't any room at the table for Ali herself, so she spent the class moving around the table, and she used my supplies (rinse water, paper towel, palette, etc.) for her own stuff (which I was totally cool with! :) ) The class went quite smoothly, though, and it sounded like everyone learned something new. I know I did!!

I had two lecture-style classes, one from Rhonda Bender on Leveling Up Your Painting, and the other was How Not to Suck from John Bonnot. They were both fantastic, and Rhonda had an excellent handout that was very helpful. John spent most of his time talking about blending/highlighting/shading, but also touched on a number of other useful things. There was one poor fellow in his class, though, that seemed totally lost; apparently, he'd only done basecoating before, so all this talk of glazing and highlighting and washes was brand-new. ::(: After class, I tried to be encouraging, and recommended that he join the forums because of all the awesome tutorials and helpful folks here.

The only class I really struggled with was the Painting Freehand Designs with Brice Cocanour that I had Sunday morning. At least part of that was due to the fact that I was severely sleep-deprived by that point, and also with the construction happening right next door, the table wasn't always very stable. I would have appreciated a handout in this class, since I found it very difficult to simultaneously watch and follow what he was doing, paint my own figure, listen to his explanation/advice, and take notes all at once. I did get a lot of useful information from his class, but I got kind of stressed trying to keep up with it all.

Nearly all of the classes I took had handouts, and they were an IMMENSE help!!! I took copious notes of my own, but having a handout really eased my mind about missing important info or details, and I could just relax and focus listening to the instructor and painting the mini I was working on, with jotting down occasional useful bits of info.

Overall, I felt like I got more than my money's worth out of every class I took, and I felt like every instructor was extremely knowledgeable about what they were teaching. The most common (very minor) issue was that each instructor appeared to have been provided with a paint case from Reaper, but weren't informed ahead of time which paints would be in it. I didn't feel that this detracted from the instruction, however, since suitable colors were quickly selected and the class was able to get started with a minimum of delay.

Food

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the meals provided (lunches and banquets), though I did get a little concerned with how long the lunches sat out refrigerated (they were apparently pulled out onto the tables around 11-ish, and I was able to pick one up as late as 2pm one day). I would have liked more time to enjoy my lunches, since most of the time I only had time to wolf down the sandwich and the cookie and maybe a bit of fruit in-between classes and other stuff. I really wanted to try the pasta salad, but I never had the time! :( I plan to change that for next year.

The banquets were all super-tasty, and I really enjoyed the Wednesday Meat & Great at the Factory. I didn't have a ticket for the Thursday BBQ. I felt like each dinner was well-planned and very organized, with a very nice variety of food selections.

Games

I really wish I'd had the time and energy to participate in some of the games this year, particularly the We Be Goblins! games. I was able to squeak in a late night 5E D&D game run by ub3r on Saturday night, though, which I greatly enjoyed. I plan to sign up for at least a couple next time!!

Events

The Auction was a ton of fun, and Heisler kept things entertaining and moving smoothly. The only thing I wanted was the bull figure that Corporea had painted, so I'm super happy I was able to win it! It's currently sitting on my desk, making me happy every time I look at it! :wub: The painting competition was also a lot of fun, though I wish I'd had my entry done beforehand; it would have given me more time to have fun! I really like how it was organized, with everyone receiving an award of some kind, which gave me a good idea of what level I'm painting at. The fact that I got a bronze medal makes it even more awesome! :bday:

I really liked being able to talk to the judges afterward, and get personalized feedback about why they gave the scores that they did. That way, I know what/how to improve for next time! ^_^

The Speed Paint was also a tremendous blast; I had such a crazy fun time, and it was soooo intense!! :bday: I would have really liked to participate in a Sophie Says as well, but either that didn't happen this year, or it was while I was in class. Maybe next year! ^_^

Vendors

Here again, I would have loved more time to spend browsing; every vendor was very friendly and seemed to enjoy chatting about their products. The punch-card idea was brilliant, as it got me to stop at vendors I might not have, otherwise, and I ended up picking up a few items I would not have even seen! :)

Venue

I was happy with the venue, and the staff did a very good job making sure that things were kept tidy and organized; I was impressed with their professionalism. The hotel felt like it was just the right size, though if ReaperCon continues to expand, this location might not be big enough in a few years! I liked how the Artist/Open area was set up, with the gaming area in a smaller, separate location. I felt like this kept the noise to a manageable level in the Artist area, while also making the gaming area feel more personal that it would have otherwise in the large room.

Transportation

I rented a car for the event (mostly because I was driving down to Austin after the con), and wasn't able to use it at all due to being so sleep-deprived. I won't be doing a rental car again in the future.  -_- The shuttle was a very nice option, though I wasn't able to avail myself of it due to time constraints. I know that it did get cancelled for one morning run, though, which made it difficult for a couple of my friends to make it to the Factory.

Swag

The amount of swag far-and-away made up for the price of the ticket!!! I came away with soooo much stuff! Lots of paints, several minis, including the practice minis from the classes, sample products from some of the vendors, and coupon codes from others (which encouraged me to make a couple of on-site purchases). The bag itself was very nice, and it was such a blessing to have that plastic cup from Hanger 18; I used it all weekend as my rinse cup!!  ::D:

The ribbons were also a FANTASTIC idea; I'm including them in the Swag section because they were most definitely a coveted item! They encouraged me to try things I wouldn't have, otherwise, such as visiting the spray-priming booth, participating in the Speed paint, and asking Anne (Ann?) about drow nipples (true story). Passing out ribbons was lots of fun too, as it seemed to encourage people to come up and say hi to me, which was nice given that it was my first ReaperCon and I didn't know ANYBODY! ^_^

Summary

Overall, I was very impressed with how smoothly everything was run, and how well everything was organized. Major kudos to Reaper for throwing such an awesome party convention, and I definitely am looking forward to attending in future years!! :wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 13

Think of the competition levels; certificate of merit, bronze, silver and gold as levels within a period. As you move up the levels get smaller and more compressed. So the move from certificate of merit to bronze is, relatively, easy. Bronze to Silver is harder, Silver to Gold is the hardest move. And in the end its three people making a decision on a score so at least two people considered your painter entry to be worth a bronze (scoring range 5-7, so at a minimum it takes two people to give scores of 2 to get the lowest score of 5).

• Like 4

Still don't have Con Crud, so I think I'm safe from that. But youngest went down hard yesterday and I might not be so safe from her plague.

And since this is a review thread, I've finally finished my three part video review of 2015 ReaperCon. Anybody that went will probably be bored to tears, but those who couldn't go might be interested.

Part 2:  Games, loot, and factory tour

Pegazus,

I'm glad to hear your input for the Fiasco! After Dark game. My one regret about the late night game is that I don't get to spend as much time with the table as I do during the regular daytime games. Last year was the first time we had done the After Dark edition and it was mostly because a lot of the artists, employees and forumites were too busy during the day to play, so they all came in asking for one more game. It was a roaring success so we decided to do it again.

Both times, though, I felt like I was doing new players a bit of a disservice by not being able to help coach and guide the game. I hope it didn't turn you off of the game, entirely. And you are correct, the game can be played straight, but it is trickier and the players kind of all have to be in agreement when you start.

I'm glad you came out and gave it a shot, and I hope that you had enough fun to have been worth the time.

• Like 5