Sign in to follow this  
Ludo

So who is excited about ReaperCon 2016?

At some point before next October I need to figure out what's involved in the competition and prep an entry. I have no expectations of winning anything but I figure it'll be fun anyway. ::P:

Since ReaperCon decided a few years ago to follow in the enlightened ways of the MMSI Chicago Show Open System, it is mostly not a competition, but instead a juried exhibition. Yes, there are trophies in the categories for best Reaper product entered. For most painters, the show is about judging against a standard and awarding the number of medals based on the quality of the work displayed. If 20 people displayed Gold Medal level work, then 20 Gold Medals would be awarded. No one "wins" a medal at the expense of another.

Where it does become a competition is competing with yourself to improve.

• Like 6

At some point before next October I need to figure out what's involved in the competition and prep an entry. I have no expectations of winning anything but I figure it'll be fun anyway. ::P:

Since ReaperCon decided a few years ago to follow in the enlightened ways of the MMSI Chicago Show Open System, it is mostly not a competition, but instead a juried exhibition. Yes, there are trophies in the categories for best Reaper product entered. For most painters, the show is about judging against a standard and awarding the number of medals based on the quality of the work displayed. If 20 people displayed Gold Medal level work, then 20 Gold Medals would be awarded. No one "wins" a medal at the expense of another.

Where it does become a competition is competing with yourself to improve.

I read the rules last night. I like this format. ::): I still will consider it a win if I get a Certificate of Merit, and a miracle if I get a bronze. :lol: But yeah, this format is definitely making me more interested in trying out more categories. 

• Like 5

187 would be pocket change to what I have to pay for Boise to DFW. Last rcon it was around 420 roundtrip. Add in the stay over hotel I do (50) before catching the plane the next morning & 2 HR round trip from Ontario to Boise & back.

Well worth it ::):

Same here!

I usually wind up on jetBlue on the way to ReaperCon, and the round trip from BOS to DFW often runs north of $400, before luggage fees. (Looks like it's closer to $300 a year in advance, but I never book that far in advance. :wacko: )

• Like 1

So many ideas for my entries into Con with less than a year to go.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Yeah my brain is so used to speed prepping for Aprile Reaper Con, that it's doing it anyway and I know that it's still a long ways away. 

• Like 3

Just looked at Alaska Air yesterday. Fantastic prices just don't know if I wanna deal with the times. 3 HR layover in Portland get into Dfw around 430 pm on Weds. Usually I do a 1 HR layover in Denver or St Lake & get into Dfw around 1 pm.

At least coming home won't be as hard ::):

Descions descions descions......

Crud. I just realized that the Saturday of ReaperCon is the girlfriend's birthday.

It's too early to completely panic, but this could be a problem. (She has no real interest in hobby gaming or minis)  :unsure:

• Like 1

Crud. I just realized that the Saturday of ReaperCon is the girlfriend's birthday.

It's too early to completely panic, but this could be a problem. (She has no real interest in hobby gaming or minis) :unsure:

I once gave out birthday IOUs.

:p

• Like 6

I try to get my wife a concert ticket. This year it was Luke Bryan. The show was sold out in a matter of a week & wasn't a show I'd want to go to. She had a blast.

• Like 4

It's too early to completely panic, but this could be a problem. (She has no real interest in hobby gaming or minis) :unsure:

It's not at the hotel....so she can go to the pool, mall, restaurants, etc while u do ur thing and just meet back up later for couple time.

• Like 5

As a Mrs. I would be pretty mad to be left to wander the lands alone in a foreign world.

Gfs spa weekend sounds amazing. Maybe a wine tour for the weekend with her two best friends?

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 7

As a Mrs. I would be pretty mad to be left to wander the lands alone in a foreign world.

Gfs spa weekend sounds amazing. Maybe a wine tour for the weekend with her two best friends?

Possibly. We'll have to talk it over. This year, she spent it with her best friends.

I don't think I want to suggest flying all the way to Dallas so I can run off to the con all day and ignore her. (Besides which, she teaches, and can't really travel then anyway.)

• Like 3

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      In accordance with the title of May's hobby goal section, and getting a bit bored with using the same colors over and over, I decided to open up the Box of Waiting and found these....

(back left corner) 2 Wizkids Blink Hounds
      (back to us as NSFW) Vampire with Victim
      (big guy in the back) Dungeon Saga Zombie Ogre Wizard
      (in front of Zombie Ogre) Dungeon Saga Necromancer
      (right of Zombie Ogre) 2 Wizkids Ghouls
      (right of Ghouls) Female Wraith from Graveyard Expansion
      (next to Necromancer) Undead Wolf from Graveyard Expansion
      (next to Wolf) Female Mad Scientist
      (next to Mad Scientist) Stone
      (next to Stone) Reaper WW2 Zombie German
      (last on right) Orc from Learn to Paint kit
      (front rank) various Mousings from the Tavern Set and Thankgiving and Christmas Mouslings.
      There's more, but this is everything that has had more than priming applied. 

First up was the Female Mad Scientist, who was one of the first minis I bought when I got back into the hobby. I started on her not long before I left Austin, and while I was happy with how most of her came out, I got a bit lost in what to do with her base. Her weapon and smiting glove were also unfinished. There's a touch up on her face from where she got chipped in transit, but the patch doesn't seem to show in pictures. (yay!)

I got her weapons finished, a bit of purple on her hat ribbon, and the beginings of her base.

The wraith, wolf, and ghouls received a coat of black wash over the parts that were already gray, and the wraith and wolf got further applications of Storm Gray. The skin on the ghouls was a base of Vampire Skin washed with Rainy Gray. Now that I have the rest of the triad, I can start getting them highlighted.
    • By NomadZeke
      Like last year, this thread is to find roommates and transit. Being the con isn't at the hotel rides may be more important.

My situation: Room full at 4 Wednesday through Monday.
      Rides unknown as flights not booked, but looking at noonish arrival Wednesday, into dfw, out if dfw Sunday around 7, maybe Monday if I can get the time off then. Either way I'll need help with transit if possible.

On your marks...get set...
    • By haldir
      With the announcement of the HGI block being filled up for RCon this year, thought I'd I ask where everyone will be staying for the con this year. Helps with getting together afterwards or even during the Con.

I'll be staying at Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) this year.
    • By Heisler
      The ReaperCon painting competition is open to miniatures and models from all companies, In light of that fact we have started to invite other miniature manufacturers to provide prizes for the best painted version of their products at the show. In 2015 we had the following manufacturers provide prizes for the best painted versions of their company's miniatures: Red Box Games, Dark Sword Miniatures, DGS, Hasslefree Miniatures and Secret Weapon Miniatures.

I will use this thread to let folks know which manufacturers will be providing prizes in addition to those you can earn when entering the ReaperCon 2016 Painting Competition. I'll update this first post with additions to the list as we get closer to the con.

2016 Manufacturer Awards List:

Dark Sword Miniatures - Jim is really expanding his ReaperCon Support this year
               Dark Sword Diorama
                        $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit for Best Overall Dark Sword Diorama
                        $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit for 2nd Place Dark Sword Diorama 

Dark Sword Single Miniatures
                        $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit for Best Overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
                        $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit for 2nd Place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Ares Mythologic
              Best Ares Miniature
                     New product to be given out at the show
              Best Draconia Miniature
                    New product to be given out at the show
              I'll provide further details when I can.

Kabuki Models
              Best Kabuki Model 
                       300eu gift voucher for their online store.
                       There is a caveat here. If the judges feel there are not enough quality Kabuki entries then, at their discretion, it will be awarded to the Best piece in the Open                  Category.

Bombshell Miniatures
              Is offering their brand new and highly coveted Bombardier Pin and gift certificates good for our web store to the following winners.
              Artists who Bombshell Miniatures has previously paid for commissioned painting work for their own studio models will be exempt from the Bombshell manufacturer's prizes.          1st place Overall - Bombshell Gold Pin and $100 Gift Certificate        2nd place Overall - Bombshell Silver Pin and $50 Gift Certificate        3rd place Overall - Bombshell Bronze Pin and $25 Gift Certificate
    • By Qwyksilver
      Welcome to the House Procrastius Common Room.

House Procrastius
      "Ego probabiliter ad cras"

Yeah, I know the other Houses got their rooms up before us.  Sorry, it took me awhile to get to it.  But you know, it still got done.  Got a little busy with stuff.  Anyway, have at it.  When you get a chance.  If you can't, it'll keep.

As a wise old teacher once said to me:

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.â€
      - Mark Twain

​Now, I think the teacher was trying to get me to turn my work in on time, but honestly, I loved Mark Twain, and it sort of had the opposite effect.
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)